Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Rafa go?

• 30-01-2008 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Well, no point in having this discussion every time Liverpool drop points, so lets get it all out in here :)

Another loss, another poor performance, no indication of change, 4th place under serious threat, maybe its time.

He's done 'well'. Rebuilt the team, got a decent squad there, but maybe a new manager with money to spend could take them to that next level.

Should Rafa go? 131 votes

Yes (Liverpool fans)
    0%
    No (Liverpool fans)
    17%
    tiborDingatronDCChongDrag00n79DcullyCivilServantmachiavellianmeIrishMikeSooner or Laterjoe123TrampasflanzerRiesen_MealobRockeewalshkiPrincess Consuela BananahammockMurtinhonacho libre 23 votes
    Yes
    42%
    ButcherOfNogThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfTuskyspocketysuper_furryzAbboLizardKingsharkmanKanneyjesus_thats_greThe InsiderRE*AC*TORraven136yom 1Dub13cruiserweightredspidermayordenisArdent 56 votes
    No
    39%
    WhiteWashManmewsoPHBBounty HunterThe Clown MancournioniV9MisterAnarchygrowlergimmickeirebhoysmemonZaphIagoDavey DevilKingp35Qsevad_lhorgziggykraggy 52 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote: »
    Another loss, .

In fairness, we've lost the same number of games as Utd and Chelsea (3) . It's all the draws that are killing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

No (Liverpool fans)
    Yes.

To be honest I feel sorry for him, its alot like the houllier situation.

But if this whole thing with hicks and gillet hadnt happend I think Rafa would be gone by now and he wouldnt have had the fans rallying behind him.

He got the support from the fans because of how badly hes been treated and all that hes done for the club.

Sadly it is time rafa goes.Martin O neill would be my choice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I hope he stays:)

I think LFC minus a unstoppable SG are very ordinary. call me biased sure, but its the truth., how long since Liverpool won a prem game?

I think it would be amazing if he is not sacked , well ASAP....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I voted no. Im happy with the, ahem, "progress" hes making..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yes
    No. Not even close. So what, it's a bad run of form. It happens. The wider business issues don't help right now.

West Ham aren't pushovers. We conceded an unfortunate late penalty. Calm down folks. We'll be back to winning ways soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I want him to stay. Chelsea and Arsenal are tough enough to deal with, don't want Pool around to

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

No
    Most non Liverpool fans want him to stay but thus far most non-liverpool fans think he should go as far as the poll stands. that says something to me as Utd, Villa, Arsenal etc fans dont want liverpool to be succesful but do honestly think they would be better off without him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

''Should Rafa go? '' Wohhh, can he say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

It depends for LFC fans:

If you were serious about being contenders for the Premiership this season then he has failed

If you are happy with being in the run for a CL place and still being in the CL after xmas then ye are on target

Although if Villa, Everton or whoever get 4th spot then surely his position is untenable (unless Liverpool jam another CL:D)

As a Villa fan i hope he stays! Kuyt, Zenden, Pennant? LOL

Yes
    Most non Liverpool fans want him to stay but thus far most non-liverpool fans think he should go as far as the poll stands. that says something to me as Utd, Villa, Arsenal etc fans dont want liverpool to be succesful but do honestly think they would be better off without him

At the time of writing your post there were a total of 14 votes. Conclusive sample size. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

As a united fan i say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Yes
    No. But some of the players should.

No
    true not exactley the gratest sample but I as a Villa fan would much prefer no change at Liverpool than Rafa leaving and think it is the same with most of us non-liverpool fans. Be it Rafa's problem, the players or G&H's there is a problem and something needs to change as all three of these factors combined are failing at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

As an Arsenal fan I say no. Give him time, see where they are at the end of the season, and if by then there has been no improvement then maybe that should be the end of the Rafa era at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No
    Personally I think he'll stay until the Inter games. A lot of Liverpool fans believe that they will beat Inter in the CL, largely because of Rafa's magic in Europe. However if they go out to Inter, I think the fans will start to turn on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

true not exactley the gratest sample but I as a Villa fan would much prefer no change at Liverpool than Rafa leaving and think it is the same with most of us non-liverpool fans. Be it Rafa's problem, the players or G&H's there is a problem and something needs to change as all three of these factors combined are failing at the moment.

Shush Bountyhunter! let them think everything is ok so LFC and their fans will be in collective shock at the end of the season when Villa take 4th and Everton take 5th and Man City 6th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

A scouse Liverpool fan was on 606 saying theres a 'Rafa must go' rally on Saturday. Though there is the possibility that it was an Everton fan taking the piss...

Yes
    Personally I think he'll stay until the Inter games. A lot of Liverpool fans believe that they will beat Inter in the CL, largely because of Rafa's magic in Europe. However if they go out to Inter, I think the fans will start to turn on him.

Unfortunately, I think you are probably right. Though hinging three and a half years on the course of a very tough tie that we should not expect to win more than five times out of 10 is pretty silly.

This whole situation is lol. Oh noes, we are having a bad patch. SOLUTION!! Throw the baby out with the bathwater!11

Yes
    Shush Bountyhunter! let them think everything is ok so LFC and their fans will be in collective shock at the end of the season when Villa take 4th and Everton take 5th and Man City 6th!

Yeah, cause letting Rafa go would surely have a strong positive affect on performances in the short term. Being managerless for the rest of the season would be better fo sho.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes
    Honestly, I don't know if I want him to leave or not. There are reasons for him staying and for him going to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Yes
    I think he'll be at Liverpool until the end of the season (at least) as there is no point sacking a manager in mid-season (no purchasing windows) unless they are absolutely terrible and he's not in that category.

Liverpool not winning the league is not a sackable offence. However, not getting 4th though is. The team may be able to redeem it for him if they can get a run in the cup, and a lucky one at that. The CL is surely beyond this team though you would think, but never say never.

I voted No (Liverpool fan).

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Yes
    I'm a big fan of Benitez, at least I was. But he's really trying my patience with Dirk Kuyt.

I think he deserves one more season - people forget that we were in th CL final only a few short months ago. I'd give him another go. If he doesn't make a right fist of the Premiership next season, we can sack him safe in the knowledge that he'll never adapt to league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

No
    I think he's doing a great job, let the man stay, he's like Roy Evans long lost Spanish uncle :D

Seriously though if I was a pool fan I'd be pissed...and I don't mean on beer!
    He paid top dollar for Benayoun and plays Kuyt week in week out....say no more....hilarious stuff really for any rival supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jesus no

keep him

KEEP HIM FOREVER

the top 6 looks a lot nicer right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No
    Liverpool need a league title and they will not win one with him in charge so I say yes, he should go.

No

whoops didnt mean to let the secret out of the bag but seriously, I like Rafa (and Liverpool if im honest) but think his time at LFC is very near an end and cant remember the last time they impressed me in a game. They have 10points from the past 9 league games and are out of the title hunt. The best they can hope for is to be in the CL again next season be that through 4th spot or winning the competition shocking us all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"We had chances but couldn't take them.

"We started really well and in the second half we had a lot of possession and to lose following a counter attack in the final minute is disappointing.

"For them to score from a penalty so late on was terrible. We now need to think about the next game."

I know no-one expects any great honesty in post-match interviews but if he really does belive Liverpool were unlucky (again) then he might as well go.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I want him to stay, he is doing a great job in the league imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yes
    I understand his mentallity to use the squad... but with players being inconsistent, this mentallity backfires a lot. Ok he is using Reina, Carra, Gerrard & Torres more so now .. but its who he plays with them. Kuyt, Voronin should be given time off and play Babel up top with Torres.
    Rafa is very set in his ways and this is a big downfall of his. He hears what people say about certain players, but doesnt listen because he likes to hold his ideas. But he has to get a winning mentallity into the squad asap. I think CL final is his best hope of staying on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

God dont sack him.

Within 24 hours we will have some twat on this board with the usual "my girlfriends dads cousins half brother is a taxi driver and saw Rafa getting picked up by the 3 wise men at Dublin airport."

Rafa 1/1, betting closed, favourite for Ireland job. Unlike the Deschamps/O`Leary/Tel/shane86/shane86s granny/Trappatoni rumoured appointments, this one is actually true!!!!!!!

Back to reality....

Dont think so personally. Yes, he is having a woeful run. If (and a big If) they can go the distance in the CL nobody will remember this in 6 months.

And of course, anyone with sense knows the CL is the bigger picture ;)

As long as, of course, you keep to a position in your domestic league which allows for CL qualification :(

Its quite bizarre really. Man U fans assumed the Glazers were hell bent on sending them to League 3. The scousers generally welcomed the yanks. These days you would barely know/care about the Glazers, and the Americans at the pool are hated (photos of them in suits wearing Pool scarves with "hey, so he gets one of those corner kick things now" expressions as they watch the match dont really help)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

No
    Stekelly wrote: »
    In fairness, we've lost the same number of games as Utd and Chelsea (3) . It's all the draws that are killing us.

ah come on ste ffs, thats just clutching at straws. united are 17 points ahead of ye. why are ye drawing games? cos yere not good enough to win them. simple as that.

ah come on ste ffs, thats just clutching at straws. united are 17 points ahead of ye. why are ye drawing games? cos yere not good enough to win them. simple as that.

I was purely replying to the part of PHB's post that kind of made it sound like we are losing week in week out. The difference between the teams is all the draws. Turnign them into wins is the hard bit. First step would be to play well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yes
    Not right now, but if things remain the way they are now until the end of the season, then yes.

If Liverpool dont finish top 4 then he'll walk anyway I think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

As an Everton fan of course he has to stay.

but for those who agree that he should go here are there arguements.

1) he does not know his best team and is stuck on this constant squad rotation...look at Utd and Arsenal. team sheets write themselves week in week out. and these clubs look to blood fringe players in the carling cup.

2) 17 million for mascherano..he is adimant he wants him but nearly every pool fan can see he aint worth it...why not Rafa.

3) the unrest between him and the owners is doing nothing but ruining the moral of the whole liverpool organisation.

in saying all the above, there is no point in changing a manager mid season though. just admit the league is over re-prioritze and see where things are at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Liverpool Just Lost 1 - 0 To The Hammers.

2) 17 million for mascherano..he is adimant he wants him but nearly every pool fan can see he aint worth it...why not Rafa.

Find me more than a handful of Pool fans who think that.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

No
    i still think liverpool will get 4th and possibly win fa/ or do well in CL. its all set up now for them to concentrate on those. however, his days are numbered and regardless of what he wins/doesnt win, he is gone in the summer. its only a matter of time.

Yes
    mike65 wrote: »
    Find me more than a handful of Pool fans who think that.

Mike.

masch is worth every penny of 17m imo.

snyper wrote: »
    Liverpool Just Lost 1 - 0 To The Hammers.

No way. When?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm not a Liverpool supporter and I voted no but barely. I think that clubs should show a certain degree of patience with a manager and let them get it right and I don't necessarily think that whoever they would bring in would be a major improvement.

That said I do think that a lot of Benitez's signings have been poor. There are obvious exceptions particularly Torres who has done far better than I thought he would do without a decent goal scorer to partner him up front. The problem is that he's signed lots of squad players. If you want to challenge for the League and CL then what's the point of spending around £6m on a player who won't dramatically improve your team when you need to spend £15m or £20m on one who will. Also, his rotation policy has seemed to unbalance the team whenever it started to look good for any length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

No (Liverpool fans)
    He's not making progress. Players don't know what they're doing. We haven't won in 6. Our only hope is a competition we haven't played in in two months (I'm discounting the FA Cup). I think the more relevant question is why should he stay. We are no closer to winning a league than we have been in the last ten seasons. I can accept not winning the league but not making any progress is crap at this stage. And for anyone who thinks its just a bad patch, wake up, we haven't played well in the league in a long time. As someone else pointed out 10 points in 9 games is beyond a bad patch.

Time to bow out and give someone else time to rescue our season. Much more likely is that he'll at least hang around till the Inter games - I just hope its not too late to get into a CL qualifying place for next season if that goes wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Yes

that sounds very possible tbh.
    no for the minute, id prefer any moves to be made in the off season. we will see come the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yes
    Washout wrote: »

Is this a joke ? Theres so much wrong with it.

In todays market, Mascherano is worth 17m. (Sissoko sold for 10, Carrick 17, Hargreaves 17, Anderson 17).

Every Liverpool fan I know thinks hes worth it and wants Rafa to sign him

Lastly, the 17m includes 4-5 years of wages making the real fee around 8-9 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Yes
    No, from a Liverpool fan, No... And those 3 who said Yes (Liverpool Fans), really only look at results as a week and leave it, they don't see what he has done for the club and what he has yet to accomplish. Bandwagon supporters when we won the Champions League, my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yes
    Washout wrote: »

but for those who agree that he should go here are there arguements.

1) he does not know his best team and is stuck on this constant squad rotation...look at Utd and Arsenal. team sheets write themselves week in week out. and these clubs look to blood fringe players in the carling cup.actually rafa rotates no more or less than Ferguson or Wenger

2) 17 million for mascherano..he is adimant he wants him but nearly every pool fan can see he aint worth it...why not Rafa.actually almost every liverpool fan i have encountered thinks that it is vital that we sign mascherano, and if thats at 17million, so be it, thats the rate for top young midfielders in world football BUT, the price is closer to £11million according to better sources than Andy Grey etc

3) the unrest between him and the owners is doing nothing but ruining the moral of the whole liverpool organisation.agree-so lets get rid of the owners

I honestly believe someone making such a stupid post should face at least the "possibility" of a banning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Yes
    mike65 wrote: »
    I know no-one expects any great honesty in post-match interviews but if he really does belive Liverpool were unlucky (again) then he might as well go.

You didnt vote Mike, are you undecided?

Its 16-3 at the moment in the poll.

No
    lol, one week

Liverpools last 9 league games:
    Lost (West Ham)
    Drew (Villa)
    Drew (Boro)
    Drew (Wigan)
    Drew (City)
    Won (Derby)
    Won (Portsmouth)
    Lost (United)
    Lost (Reading)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yes
    I think you've started this thread just to send me into further depression :(

No
    Actually half of the reason was so that if you didn't want to talk about it, you could just ignore it :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement