Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi allroad aluminium optics problem.

Options
  • 30-01-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Hi. As the title says noticed this when last cleaning car. Live in Scotland where roads are gritted most nights during winter so this seems to be causing small spots of corrosion where water/dirt lodges. Any suggestions on how to remove? Tried alloy cleaner which helped a bit but reckon its gonna take something bit stronger. Optics are basically aluminium trim. Whatever i use would have to be safe for paintwork. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What are aluminium optics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You want to remove the corrosion or the dirt/grit?

If the former try a polishing cream, tho I don't understand how aluminium could be corroding. Are you sure it's aluminium?

You'd probably be aswell to hose the car down regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

???:confused:

If you are talking about some aluminium or chrome trim tarnishing, firstly do not use any wheel cleaners as most of them are acidic. Metals particularly aluminium is very delicate. Get a metal polish or better still a chemical/non abrasive paint cleaner which will remove marks on all surfaces like paint, chrome, aluminium, glass and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If it is salt or the minerals from hard water spotting the surface, and if it is tackled early enough before they etch to the surface, then a chemical cleaner polish is the best option. One with no abrasives so that it is gentle at the same time. Apply the polish with a dampened microfibre pad and not an old t-shirt, then allow it to haze over and then buff off the residue with a dry microfibre cloth. I use Carlack 68 but you can buy the same stuff from polished bliss in aberdeen - it is branded as Jeffs Werkstatt Prime Strong over there. But make sure you wash the car first to remove all loose dirt, before you start polishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Thanks folks especially TomMc i live in Aberdeen so thats great help:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement