Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studio monitors picking up fm/am signals?

Options
  • 30-01-2008 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Subtle fm/am Interference.

It's only on one speaker, which strikes me as being odd.

Could this be simply a cable issue? I hope so. Right now I'm using basic unbalanced phono to jack straight into my minimac.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I think it's AM. Bad Cables either Power cables or Signal cables make pretty good aerials it's caused by Parasitic Capacitance and all that:confused:
    Phonos aren't the best really either and can tend not to make a good tight contact at times. Jack plugs would be better, XLR-3 better still. Also did you try just moving the speaker?

Did you know you can pick up the radio with a graphite pencil a razor blade, a little speaker and a few wires? I've had some funny things picking up the radio from time to time, Oh yeah!
    The day Roy Orbison died I heard him on the radio picked up by an old Marshall amp! Spooky eh? And the gate to the Kippure RTE mast in the Dublin mountains picked Gay Byrne some days.
    Lucielle Ball could hear Japanese submarines' radio transmissions through her fillings apparently. In fact I'm listening to the radio right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

LMAO!

Cheers for the reply. I'll get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Baz_Masterplan

This might sound a bit weird but adjust the height of the speakers in relation to the AMP or computer you are connected. I had this problem for a bit and another person recommend this to me and by raising them just 2 inches it went away. worth a try. I had spent money on different special power supplys. Had plugged them in another room. All sorts of **** but the simple solution worked. Also if you have an old set of speakers that you can put on their sides you could place your speakers on top of them and this is supposed to help with this sort of thing. I also changed my cables to the shorest ones possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

studiorat wrote: »
    o transmissions through her fillings apparently. In fact I'm listening to the radio right now.

That's nothing ..... I'm watchin' Telly ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I found the culprit in the end.

NaviniModem.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement