Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Invisible User Account

• 30-01-2008 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Recently one of the computers in the office crashes and it's been acting a little strangely since. Unfortunately it's fallen to me to fix it. The guy who was using it at the time insists he did nothing out of the ordinary - I have my doubts but in the absence of evidence I'm going to have to assume that it just failed.

Anyway, the computer originally had a 2 user accounts, one of which was used to control some software on a second computer and log it's output, all via ethernet. This control and logging function has since stopped working. I think the network settings for the second account are messed up. I want to delete this account and set it up again from scratch but it's dissappeared from the User Accounts section in the Control Panel. I know it's still on the computer because when I try to set up a new account using the same name as the original the computer tells me that the account already exists. Has anyone come across comething like this before? Any idea how to go about making the account visible again so that I can delete it? Not sure if this is significant but an ASP.Net Machine account showed up on the pc at the same time.

Proabably should have mentioned at some point that the OS is XP Pro

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

at command prompt try
    net users
    net users "joe bloggs" /del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Not sure if this is significant but an ASP.Net

Nothing to worry about, generally this are used to deploy images by OEM's

You could try and rebuild the user profile thats missing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Bisar

Thanks, I'll give the comand prompt thing a shot in the morning. Rebuilding the profile would be the easiest option except that the controlling/logging software has to use the existing profile name- I can't change this. The software scans the PC at start up to find the profile. If the profile exists on the system (even in it's possibly corrupted state) the software will just assume that all is well, but when I try to run it communication fails. If the the profile doesn't exist then the software will create it with all the correct settings. So the current theory is that if I can delete this problem profile my issues will be resolved. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Bisar

Manged to delete the corrupt account this morning using command prompt method. The software automatically recreated it with all the correct settings so now everything is communicating and all is good in my world. Thanks for the helps gents.

Advertisement