Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC World Service

• 30-01-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I put this up on Digital Spy so I'll ask as well here if that's ok. Does anyone know of any decent reliable frequencies for the BBC World Service in Kerry. I am actually getting a bit of reception from 648 MW on a Roberts R9914. Are there anymore anyway decent SW frequencies. I know it's overnight on Radio 4 which I get on 198 LW but would like it more often and also the R4 schedule is different to the full World Service schedule. I know about satellite and internet and I use them but radio would be more convienent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No in a word, but what I suggest is an internet radio you will need a wireless router if you dont have one, but its easily the best way to pick up BBC radio.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews113474.html

Mike.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭mike2084

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Not seen that one before, not heard of vtuner. It looks nice, it appears it should do.

Not as many stations listed on it compared with Reciva based radios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I don't think your one plays realaudio streams micheal, that could be a problem for some of the radio stations, although on my receiva it gives me the option to listen to R4 via WMA or Real.

Received this communication from Freecom today.

Hi
    Unfortunately, the Freecom MusicPal does not yet support the WMA or
    RealAudio files. However, Freecom are currently working on firmware
    updates to enable this playback that should be available this month.

Regards

Technical Support
    On behalf of Freecom Technologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Did you consider a World Space radio? as per www.worldspace.com I have one and it works well, you need to have a clear view south, it works through windows. Liviing in Belgium means I have BBC WS blasting in on 648 khz.

Like the idea, but have a few buildings in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Like the idea, but have a few buildings in the way.

If I lived close by I'd let you try it out.

Greenman wrote: »
    If I lived close by I'd let you try it out.

Thank You. The thought is appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

Thank You. The thought is appreciated :)

A good excuse though to take off to Belgium for a weekend. Away with ye.:D

• Advertisement

For those of you that are interested the BBC have closed down all the European SW services as of yesterday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/help/2008/02/080208_sw_changes_euro.shtml

Saw that, how many local frequencies does WS have on MW I wonder?

Mike.

Don't know. They seem to have 666 & 1260 MW in Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

World service is available as a windows media stream so will work on most internet radio players. BBC 5 Live is also a WMA stream, but most events are censored as they dont have worldwide rights to broadcast them.

Its the other bbc channels such as 1, 2, 3, 4 and the regionals like Ulster/ Scotland that are only available as a Real stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

World service is available as a windows media stream so will work on most internet radio players. BBC 5 Live is also a WMA stream, but most events are censored as they dont have worldwide rights to broadcast them.

Its the other bbc channels such as 1, 2, 3, 4 and the regionals like Ulster/ Scotland that are only available as a Real stream.

I beg to differ :) All the bbc channnels are available as WMA or Realaudio.

Censored? :D

Live sports events that are subject geographic rights are blocked though I've found that if you select a BBC local station covering the same event you might get lucky.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

mike65 wrote: »
    Censored? :D

Live sports events that are subject geographic rights are blocked though I've found that if you select a BBC local station covering the same event you might get lucky.

Mike.

That's why listening to BBC radio through NTL is yer only man - nothing blocked.

Advertisement