Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house wooden floors upstairs

Options
  • 30-01-2008 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi all looking for a bit of advise.Im moving into my new house soon.Now its a new build and has wooden floors upstairs.So I was wondering can I hire an industrail sander and then do the varish.I would like to do this myself?Any advise would be appreciated thanks people:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/sanding_a_timber_floor.htm

And I think there are a few posts about it already, anyway the samhire site gives prices for hiring the sander its fairly reaonable. A friend just had their entire upsatirs done in a 4 bed house for I think €700, it looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

texas star wrote: »
    Hi all looking for a bit of advise.Im moving into my new house soon.Now its a new build and has wooden floors upstairs.So I was wondering can I hire an industrail sander and then do the varish.I would like to do this myself?Any advise would be appreciated thanks people:)

Are you sure its actually floor boards you are getting upstairs or is it 8ft *4ft osb sheeting like pretty much any new development I've seen are using.

Not trying to to be smart. Given you're in Dublin i am making the assumption its in a development.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

It's not a difficult job to sand wooden floorboards. But it is tiresome. Flat plate sanders and sand paper of different grades can be hired from equipment hire stores. They are better than the drum sanders for getting up against the skirting board. I did mine a few years' ago. You need to make sure the nails are sunk beneath the boards or they will tear the sand paper. But be careful not to crack the ceiling below if you are punching the nails down. Make several passes with, against and across the grain with the sander. Do it before you bring in any furniture as it's a dusty job. Vacuum well and clean boards with white spirit before applying paint/varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hey well someone saw them and said they were toung and grooved!!!So I got a good price for the days work so I will let the professional do it.Thanks for advise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hey well someone saw them and said they were toung and grooved!!!So I got a good price for the days work so I will let the professional do it.Thanks for advise :)

Now why wasn't my wife like you i.e. let me pay someone else to do it:(

It was a dirty filthy job and I was coughing up dust for a week even though I had a face mask on!!! but have to admit, they looked great when they were finished and so much nicer than carpet - oh and with kids, easy to clean up spills like pee, puke etc:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

what about the noise? and doesn't the puke go between the boards?

I put carpet down after about a year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I did all my floors upstairs...first few I did with an ordinary Black & Decker sander...took a while but results were very impressive

on the extension I hired out a belt sander..(hand held)
    very difficult to control and results not as good

Advertisement