Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Hornet

Options
  • 30-01-2008 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

hi every1 i'm new to this so hello but i have been shooting for a few yrs and i'm thinking of changing my hornet, its Weihrauch 60J with hawke 6.5-20x50 scope on top, its a nice gun but after using one of my friends .223 i'm considering changing it for more power, i'm hopin people can help me out with what rifle and scope i should go for, keeping in mind i'm only a student so the budget is pretty small, i was lookin at a remington 700 sps or similar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

on a budget ...a cz, great value and accurate.icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

hornet Weihrauch 60J is this an air rifle or centerfire

If centerfire - hornet ammo seems to be expensive, personally .223 ammo is cheap and there is a lot of good rifles makes in this calibre. I would go for .223. Does the remington 700 sps come in .223 also consider a secondhand rifle, a lot of good ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i hav a cz .22lr nd its never given any trouble so i mite look out for one in .223, just wondering aswell what is the story with changing license with a trade in can it be done straight away or cud i end up waiting months to collect the new gun

no its a centrefire check it out on www.weihrauch-sport.de its the exact same as a krico, lovely gun but the price of ammo is makin me want to change

If your going for CZ in .223 make sure you go for the American straight stock heavy barrel is very accurate.

Keep your scope it will do the job, I have used on .243 and had no problems.

Re License - Hornet is center fire - as is .223 it should be just a change of license.

I cant find any center fire on the link www.weihrauch-sport.de, am I doing something wrong.

This is a beautiful rifle

CZ 527 VARMINT LAMINATED
    The CZ 527 Varmint Laminated is a rifle made with highly resistant laminated wood stock. This model comes with a 24” hammer forged barrel.

Technical info

Caliber .223 Rem
    Detachable magazine capacity 5
    Overall length 1062 mm
    Barrel length 610 mm
    Height 154 mm
    Width 80 mm
    Weight 3620 g
    Stock Laminated wood
    Buttplate rubber, non-ventilated

• Advertisement

thanks for the links, the cz looks good,any idea how much it wud cost new or what to pay for a good secondhand one, still wondering if .223 is the best calibre regarding power and price

Whats your budget

what ever i can get for my rifle, (i paid 950 about three years ago for gun and scope) i'll hold on to the scope and then maybe spend another 300-400

It will be difficult to get a true secondhand value for it if you put it to a gun shop for sale or trade in, also because of the ammo price.

You would be better selling it privately to get the best price for it.

If you like the rifle and want to keep it, you might be able to re barrel it
    in .223 heavy barrel. Looking at your budget your not to far away from a rebarrel price.

John Green does excellent work and he will tell you if it can be re barreled and give you a price, it might workout cheaper than buying a new rifle.

If you PM me I will give you my e-mail address, if and when your are ready to buy a rifle I may be able to save you some money.

John is down in Waterford, I will get you his phone number and PM it to you.

If you need any further help PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How much is a .22 cz roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Start at about twenty quid either side of four hundred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ok thanks. :)

is there many centerfires that come with a threaded barrel cos i'm thinkin of puttin a moderator on it, and which moderators are good and still light enough as not to totally weigh me down when out lamping, i used a 223 sako with a t4 mod on it and it seemed nice, but unfortunately the sako seems a bit too expensive for me at the moment

John Green will fit, if you want a mod. John is a rifle builder and will advise you on anything you need to know.

Still waiting for his phone number, maybe some of the lads here might have his number and PM it to you.

will the mod effect power and accuracy any bit at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sikamick wrote: »
    Re License - Hornet is center fire - as is .223 it should be just a change of license.

You will/may find it is not a straight swap. Many Supers willn't issue 223 licences and most will definately want a new application. I know this is not legal but tht's what's happening. There is plenty on previous threads that will explain the situation

i know 1 or 2 two ppl around who hav 223's so i'm hoping i should have no trouble but i'm thinking of heading into the station some day soon to ask b4 i even go to a gun shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

ormondprop wrote: »
    i'm thinking of heading into the station some day soon to ask b4 i even go to a gun shop

Good idea may save you a lot of hassle

Advertisement