Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fastest player in the world?

• 31-01-2008 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Who do ye think is currently the fastest professional footballer in the world?

Every time I see Spurs playing I'm blown away by Aaron Lennon's pace! He's ridiculous.

Also Shaun Wright-Philips has a bit of pace about him.

Patrice Evra is fairly fast too. Gael Clichy also on the left.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo is absurdly fast, however for me in terms of raw pace, there was that Fulham guy whose name I can't remember, also Richards is amazingly fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

probably some guy you never heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Richard Dunne, then Richards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kaka for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Utaka from Portsmouth is very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

personally I think Gabby is faster than all those mentioned although like LuckyLloyd says im sure its someone weve never heard of who should probably have been a sprinter instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Evra has phenomenal pace, I think he's the fastest at United. Lennon is also a freak in that sense...Rommedahl, Martins and Hyypia also in with a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Martins was so fast, however he really doesn't exploit this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Archimedes wrote: »
    Evra has phenomenal pace, I think he's the fastest at United. Lennon is also a freak in that sense...Rommedahl, Martins and Hyypia also in with a shout.

Hyypia was never the quickest in his prime, how do you make him out to be the fastest player in the world?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Shelton for Sheff Utd seems incredibly fast

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL6g_BRM7wg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzC1QAB1YE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veW6VjmAcVM

He just never looks like he's even running at full speed. Look at the run for the goal against Argentina. Watch him rip after his 2nd touch of the ball.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Surian Di Nasylimenski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ronaldo, because people are always saying he's a cheetah!! Kabumching!! :rolleyes:

I've always wondered was the fastest player was too.
    But I suppose it's only useful if you can actually do something with the pace.

I'd love to know how fast Henry could do a 100m in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

terry phelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

eirebhoy wrote: »
    A lot of the players mentioned are just small players with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL6g_BRM7wg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzC1QAB1YE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veW6VjmAcVM

He just never looks like he's even running at full speed. Look at the run for the goal against Argentina. Watch him rip after his 2nd touch of the ball.

Whaddya mean "just" small players? They're either fast or they're not... Being small may benefit them in terms of pace, but it's irrelevent to the question of whether or not they are in fact fast. They either are or they're not... Aaron Lennon is crazy fast.

Kaka is v.fast too... as is Messi.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd love to know how fast Henry could do a 100m in.

A footballer never needs to run 100m at once so you're better off looking at how quick players are over 30 or 40m. If they slow down after that it makes no difference really. Some players are flyers out of the blocks and in football that's all you really need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Victor Obinna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Juan Roman Riquelme is a real speed merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A footballer never needs to run 100m at once so you're better off looking at how quick players are over 30 or 40m. If they slow down after that it makes no difference really. Some players are flyers out of the blocks and in football that's all you really need.
    You speak the sense, but that still doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to know how fast he'd do a 100m in. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hyypia was never the quickest in his prime, how do you make him out to be the fastest player in the world?:rolleyes:

Whatever about being the fastest, but youre certainly not the quickest chap are you...

• Advertisement

Actually I'm gonna go for that Odonkor lad. He's unbelievably quick, well in Pro Evo anyway. Little triangle through ball into the channel and he's gone :D

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Whaddya mean "just" small players?
    I didn't actually finish that sentence as I decided to post something else. :) Anyway, it's a lot easier to look like you're running like lightning when you're as small as Shaun Wright Philips compared to the gliding run of Kaka. For example, take Messi out of that youtube video earlier and would it looks like Kaka's running so fast? Doubt it.

Another Kaka run:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4twdvxeb4yi

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Gabby Agbonlahor, devestating pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I didn't actually finish that sentence as I decided to post something else. :) Anyway, it's a lot easier to look like you're running like lightning when you're as small as Shaun Wright Philips compared to the gliding run of Kaka. For example, take Messi out of that youtube video earlier and would it looks like Kaka's running so fast? Doubt it.

Another Kaka run:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4twdvxeb4yi

I know but it's also easy to look like you're running fast when you're out-running alot of other players! :D Point taken though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

id go with Agbonlahor I think. Ridiculous pace.

In all likelyhood though its probably some not famous player in another counrty or down the leagues a bit. Theres thousands and thousands of pro footballers out there without enough quality to make the top leagues, some of them are bound to be wicked fast but not much use otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

des walker ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Walcott is supposed to be the fastest Arsenal player.

Afaik Henry said Walcott beat him over 100m. Its in a Socceram Interview iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Serginho is the fastest player ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Is this fastest in the World or fastest seen on Sky Sports???
    Mark Gonzalez was the quickest on Sky Sports and Garrindinho probably the World

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

From what I've seen, Gabby Agbonlahor.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

that guy rommedahl who used to play for charlton was unbelievebly quick. was faster than henry aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Theo could do 100m in 11.5 at age 14 in school. Thats pretty darn fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

keltoms wrote: »
    that guy rommedahl who used to play for charlton was unbelievebly quick. was faster than henry aswell

rommedahl was clocked in around the 10.5 sec mark for the 100 metres.

julius agahowa!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Agbonlahor has to be up there, did anyone else see him absolutely rip part Ryan Babel last Monday night. Left Babel yards behind, strange sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Victor Obinna
    Nigerian guy, right? They're all insanely fast (well, except for Kanu, obviously).

One of Portsmouth's guys too .....Utaka, I think? Very, very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rommedahl was the one I was talking about. He was nuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Melion wrote: »
    Agbonlahor has to be up there, did anyone else see him absolutely rip part Ryan Babel last Monday night. Left Babel yards behind, strange sight.

that's saying something as Babel's no slouch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Walcotts fast but I'd hesistate before classing him as a footballer.

He's muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Johann Smith of Bolton is recorded at 10.50 for the 100m, officially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Does anyone remember the winger who played for Latvia in Euro 2004. I think his name is Rubin or something like that. I remember being in shock when I saw how quick he was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement