Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Man speaks the truth

Options
  • 31-01-2008 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/anti%11war-group-is-anti%11galway,-anti%11american-and-anti%11progress,-says-crowe/

Anti-war group is anti-Galway, anti-American and anti-progress, says Crowe
    Written by Deirdre O' Shaughnessy
    Wednesday, 30 January 2008
    A Fianna Fáil city councillor has launched a scathing attack on the Galway Alliance Against War, saying it is "damaging" the city.

The attack comes in the wake of a protest held last Sunday in which the group attempted to dress the Liam Mellows statue in Eyre Square as a Guantanamo Bay prisoner. The group was stopped by gardaí and Community Wardens.

"These people have and continue to do more damage to our city than any other so-called peaceful group in the history of Galway. Simply put, they are anti-Galway, anti-American and anti-progress.

"At Saturday's protest they were insulting to not just political parties but also to the Gardai and constantly tried to provoke a reaction by continuing to give them various jibes, referring to them as 'the boys in blue', 'McDowell's boys' etc," said Cllr Crowe.

However, the anti-war group has responded robustly to Cllr Crowe's comments. Spokesman Niall Farrell told the Galway Independent that he doubted Cllr Crowe knew anything about Liam Mellows, saying, "It would not surprise me if he thinks he was a hurler. Mellows – like the leaders of the Rising in 1916 – opposed Ireland being sucked into imperialist conflicts, such as World War One. He was for an independent Ireland with an independent foreign policy and we have no doubt that he would have been in favour of our event."

Cllr Crowe said he felt the group was not representative of the city as whole. "This group are in my view pushing the boundaries more and more, and I, along with most other people in the city, don't want anything to do with them. By all means let them and any other group protest peacefully but they must, like all others respect the law of the land and if they don't then I would ask them to leave our city."

However, the group reacted angrily to this suggestion, saying it implied racism. "It might be worth informing the Fianna Fáil councillor that Liam Mellows was born in England, should we take the statue with us when he expels us?" added Mr Farrell.

Cllr. Michael Crowe. Is dead right, these people are indeed Anti everything except for what suits them not what the Majority wants, a right "Rent A Crowd" indeed, well said Sir, well said about time someone stood up and shouted back at them, just as good as FG's Cllr. Pádraig Conneely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Oohhhhh, I love scathing attacks. :)
    I'm not sure many Galway people care about GAAW, I know I don't. And as for how many people they represent, i'd imagine it's whoever turns up at their events, a group of < 100 peeps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AircraftTechie

I witnessed them in Salthill one day before the Airshow, they wanted to protest at the US Ambassador, funnily enough there were about 15 of them, adults with children, why bring children, they were of an age that they wouldnt have understood what was going on.

I pray for the day one of those children grows up and says "Dad im off to America to join the United States Marine Corps" Oh happy days.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Still sore about that Air Show?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

rkm wrote: »
    I'm not sure many Galway people care about GAAW, I know I don't.

And I care even less about Crowe than I do about the GAAW . He stands for ( and equally against) **** all .

Robbo wrote: »
    Still sore about that Air Show?

The Majority are Sir, its ok though im going to the US for a BIG show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Do you have to post a new thread every time the GAAW are mentioned in the local paper? Its only Crowe slagging them off, who actually gives a fuck what he says? Not many people in my local area have much time for him, or the GAAW for that matter
    The Air Show is not happening this year, get over it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anti-war group is anti-Galway, anti-American and anti-progress, says Crowe

Anti-soap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I witnessed them in Salthill one day before the Airshow, they wanted to protest at the US Ambassador, funnily enough there were about 15 of them, adults with children, why bring children, they were of an age that they wouldnt have understood what was going on.

I pray for the day one of those children grows up and says "Dad im off to America to join the United States Marine Corps" Oh happy days.:)

But when they were there they were shouting insults and barracking everyone that entered in tux's and totally ruined someones wedding reception and had to be removed because they were so stupid that they were in the wrong hotel!! the ambassador was in a different one!

Another thought, I wonder how many of those children have toy soldiers or guns to play with and playstation s with all the latest shoot 'em up games.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Do you have to post a new thread every time the GAAW are mentioned in the local paper? Its only Crowe slagging them off, who actually gives a fuck what he says? Not many people in my local area have much time for him, or the GAAW for that matter
    The Air Show is not happening this year, get over it :rolleyes:

Weather or not you care what Cllr Crowe says, he is not, by a long shot, the only one with the same feelings, check the letter in Advertiser today, again a great deal of truth! and I don't mean the one from Mr Farrell. To add, yes we do have to post a new thread every time they are mentioned, they are a major thorn in the sides of the vast majority Galway people and this is a forum concerning Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

"At Saturday's protest they were insulting to not just political parties but also to the Gardai and constantly tried to provoke a reaction by continuing to give them various jibes, referring to them as 'the boys in blue', 'McDowell's boys' etc," said Cllr Crowe.

OMG! Burn them, burn them ALL!!! Explains why I saw a few cops still cowering and sobbing in Eyre Sq afterwards, poor guys

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The Majority are Sir

Anyone I've been talking to couldn't give a rat's ass

Bass Cadet wrote: »

The crowds in Salthill would say otherwise, then again you cant please everybody but the majority do appreciate what came to Salthill and i for one am greatful.

The crowds in Salthill would say otherwise, then again you cant please everybody but the majority do appreciate what came to Salthill and i for one am greatful.

I appreciate that you 'AircraftTechie' love the whole thing and fair play to ya but by and large, Galway doesn't care...Another profitable day for the Races' pickpocketers avoided. Anyway, agree to disagree ;)

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Weather or not you care what Cllr Crowe says, he is not, by a long shot, the only one with the same feelings, check the letter in Advertiser today, again a great deal of truth! and I don't mean the one from Mr Farrell. To add, yes we do have to post a new thread every time they are mentioned, they are a major thorn in the sides of the vast majority Galway people and this is a forum concerning Galway City.

No, you don't.
    There are already threads on this issue. Add to them if you feel so strongly.
    At least then we'll know from the title that its more crap and we won't read it.
    Posting multiple threads on the same old topic doesn't win you any friends
    a major thorn in the sides of the vast majority
    Really? Have you done market research on this? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Really? Have you done market research on this? :rolleyes:

Set up a poll!!! Unscientific but feck it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm shocked that someone from Fianna Fail is speaking the truth.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

Ditto. Good riddance sayeth my friends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

the airshow is cancelled this year either cause they couldnt raise the 80 grand needed and/or the city council wouldnt help them financially NOT because of the objections of the GAAW.
    since there is no more airshow GAAW are stuck for issues, although they have been silent about a russian battlegroup of over 12 ships including an aircraft carrier and a few nuclear powered submarines which sailed down the west coast last week. this also included two bombers capable of carrying nuclear weapons which flew along the same path which where intercepted by the RAF.
    alot of people probably didnt hear about this russian battlegroup because maybe it has to do with the fact they were russian, if on the other hand they were american or british i can gaurantee the GAAW would be shouting from the top of there lungs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

+1

From what I could see Crowe would do practically anything to get his name in the papers. Anti-galway and anti-progress indeed. Muppet.

I have little time for GAAW, but I've even less for Crowe and his ilk

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Crowe wrote:
    anti-American and anti-progress
    I love how those two words always get equated when political greenhouse gasses are being pumped into the skies ...
    Crowe wrote:
    At Saturday's protest they were insulting to not just political parties
    Ah, right ... mentioned the most holy and blessed Fianna Fail in the same breath as Shannon again, did they?
    ... they are a major thorn in the sides of the vast majority Galway people ...
    PMSL, TBH!!

Thanks for that, vulcan57! :D

• Advertisement

Cllr. Michael Crowe. Is dead right, these people are indeed Anti everything except for what suits them not what the Majority wants, a right "Rent A Crowd" indeed, well said Sir, well said about time someone stood up and shouted back at them, just as good as FG's Cllr. Pádraig Conneely.

Did you read yesterday's Advertiser, OP?
    This would be the same Councillor Crowe who was rated the lowest of all present and recent councillors for his work as a councillor and contributions to the council meetings, even lower than that other luminary you mention, Padraig Conneely!

Yes, we should really take anything they say seriously... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Given that the majority of Americans are anti-war at this point, I'd say that actually makes them pro-American.

The Majority are Sir, its ok though im going to the US for a BIG show.

Given they had to cancel the show for lack of funds, I'd say the majority didn't care so much about the airshow. Or at least, were not voting with their wallets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

tristanc wrote: »
    Or at least, were not voting with their wallets.

Or not voting for Crowe who would not shell out the €80k for the Air Show Insurance as a member of that same City Council.

As for the Airshow the GAAW is entitled to protest , I am entitled to attend :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I appreciate that you 'AircraftTechie' love the whole thing and fair play to ya but by and large, Galway doesn't care...Another profitable day for the Races' pickpocketers avoided. Anyway, agree to disagree ;)

Kinda like The Arts Festival or The Rally...sure if we don't get an Airshow lets get rid of those too..please? GPO should be fun this weekend huh?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Or not voting for Crowe who would not shell out the €80k for the Air Show Insurance as a member of that same City Council.

Hmm, 80k doesn't seem like that much for the organizers to raise independently. Aeronautics and defense industries have pretty deep pockets - I'm surprised they didn't have the connections to pull in a few corporate sponsorships and have that in a heart beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

tristanc wrote: »
    Given that the majority of Americans are anti-war at this point, I'd say that actually makes them pro-American.

No, GAAW aren't anti-war they're anti-war/actions by America, Britain or Isreal. Pretty much anybody else is ok.

toiletduck wrote: »
    No, GAAW aren't anti-war they're anti-war/actions by America, Britain or Isreal. Pretty much anybody else is ok.

Too true! You only have to look at the African continent where prctically every second country is either invovled in civil war / ethnic clensing or, at least, on the verge of it, but that is of no concern to the GAAW because there is no UK or US invovlement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

There's no Irish involvement either, didn't stop them.

"But Shannon blah blah blah..."
    Couldn't you argue that by refusing to let the Americans use Shannon we're against their actions therefore not being neutral?

• Advertisement

This is a world map of on-going conflicts and wars as of January 2008

2008-01_ongoing_conflicts.png

As can plainly be seen, there are 24 or 25 wars and conflicts going on but the GAAW are only interested in maybe 3 of them which, funnily enough, concern the US, UK or Israel. Also the GAAW fail to recognise all the humanitarian work done by British and American forces in a number of theatres and places like the Balkans.

Advertisement