Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

possibly a stupid insurance question...

Options
  • 31-01-2008 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hi,
    got my insurance renewal quote today with quinn, i noticed that they still value it as it was 3 yrs ago on the cert. if i ring them them up and tell them it aint worth that much now should the insurance be reduced? or do they base the qoutes on the cost at all?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Its worth a check. Quinn probably won't change it much, but you might get cheaper if you try, I dunno, EVERY SINGLE ENGLISH SPEAKING INSURANCE COMPANY IN THE KNOWN FRIGGIN WORLD!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Your insurance liability is predominately based on the damage that you could inflict on others. The value of you vehicle isn't really relevant when assessing the price unless you own something really special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

not sure i could get it cheaper with another company, i had a small crash 2 years ago, i have 1 years no claims bonus now but i imagine the crash would put other companies off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I revalued my car upwards last year with Quinn and my insurance came down, no i don't understand it either. I'd say let it be if your happy with the quote.

Of course the best advice is get the fup away from Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you but the minimum value insurance companies will put on any car is around 2 grand even if the car is clearly worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the value of the car is one of a number of factors when insurance companies assess your premium. Not a major factor when calculating risk assessments but afaik most companies have vehicle valuation brakets ie. €10,000 to €12,000, etc.

At the end of the day you can insure your car for €1m but they will only pay you it's current market value if it is written off.

Ring them and give them the amended value of the car, you most likely will get a reduced premium. Could be a few quid in your pocket anyway rather than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I revalued my car upwards last year with Quinn and my insurance came down, no i don't understand it either. I'd say let it be if your happy with the quote.

They probably figure that a person with a car only worth 3,000 will not be as careful as someone who's car is worth 7 or 8 k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

bazz26 wrote: »

At the end of the day you can insure your car for €1m but they will only pay you it's current market value if it is written off.
    thats the way i see it too, btw its a 01 corsa was valued at 6k 3 years ago, not sure what it would be worth now

jon1981 wrote: »
    thats the way i see it too, btw its a 01 corsa was valued at 6k 3 years ago, not sure what it would be worth now

Ring an Opel dealer and ask them for the book value of a 01 Corsa. My guess would be around €4k. If so then the reduction might not be as much as you think. Still any saving is worth exploring.

I revalued my car upwards last year with Quinn and my insurance came down, no i don't understand it either
    Perhaps you are getting older and wiser! ;)
    At the end of the day you can insure your car for €1m but they will only pay you it's current market value if it is writtren off
    Replacing a car is chicken feed to an Insurance Company. They are much more worried about the potential damage you could inflict. A person with a €100 car could easily cost an insurance company €5,000,000.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you are getting older and wiser! ;)

Replacing a car is chicken feed to an Insurance Company. They are much more worried about the potential damage you could inflict. A person with a €100 car could easily cost an insurance company €5,000,000.

I agree but we are talking here about the valuation of the car in relation to the insurance premium. While not a major factor, it still is a factor when calculating a premium.

Of course damage/injury is a different kettle of fish when it comes to risk assessment and premium calculations.

I agree but we are talking here about the valuation of the car in relation to the insurance premium. While not a major factor, it still is a factor when calculating a premium.
    Replacing a car would be a very minor aspect of Comprehensive Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

yeah, happened to me too, i revalued the car from €8k to €10k and the insurance came down about €50. again with quinn.

Senna wrote: »
    yeah, happened to me too, i revalued the car from €8k to €10k and the insurance came down about €50. again with quinn.

Think about it for a second. Say Johnny and Jimmy have an Opel Corsa each, same year, same engine,spec etc. and exact same no claims, live in same area, same age etc. So everything else is equal except Johnny's car is worth 2,500 more than Jimmy's? If I was an insurer that would make me think Johnny takes care of his car better than Jimmy and that attention to detail carries on into his driving.

*Names have been changed to protect identities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

javaboy wrote: »
    Think about it for a second. Say Johnny and Jimmy have an Opel Corsa each, same year, same engine,spec etc. and exact same no claims, live in same area, same age etc. So everything else is equal except Johnny's car is worth 2,500 more than Jimmy's? If I was an insurer that would make me think Johnny takes care of his car better than Jimmy and that attention to detail carries on into his driving.

*Names have been changed to protect identities.

Or else Johnny has no idea of the real value of his car and Jimmy does!

I've found when insuring cars never to go below €3000. We've several cheap cars in the family and when we renewed they all went down after we increased the value of the cars. No idea why they load cheap cars, doesn't bother me as I just lie and over value it. Only get market value anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

don't understand quinn's at all.........went from 15k Renault 1.9 to 38k Ford 1.8, insurance came down. Went from 38k 1.8 Ford to 13k 2.0 Mazda.....and it went up.

All diesel MPV's, btw, not hot hatche's etc..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I've given up trying to work out how insurance companies work their quotes.

A couple of years back with AXA, I switched from a 97 Peugeot to a 92 Honda, and at the renewal the F&T part of my 3rdPF&T policy all but quadrupled (from about €150.00 to nearly €600.00). I had had no claims of any kind on the policy.

I put in to them that the Honda was about 1/5 the value of the Peugeot so what they were quoting was effectively a 20 fold increase. The person I spoke to sounded like a 17yo and I swear she was chewing gum down the phoneline. Only answer she could give me was "A Honda is easier to steal"??? She eventually hung up on me when I wouldn't accept that crap and go away. I moved away from AXA shortly afterward....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I was told anything over 10 years old gets a loading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

ok.I had a conversation with an employee from Quinn Direct. This may help clear the muddied waters a little with regards to premiums on cars.
    The cars and valuations set out below are for "illustration" purposes only.

Lets take a 1999 Toyota Corolla.
    I got my renewal from QD for it.I noticed an error on the cert.Went back into them to get a new cert issued.The girl behind the counter tells me that AT THAT PRECISE TIME it would be cheaper to cancel my policy and get a new one.
    Baffled I asked why.Her reply was this.
    "The underwriters update the database v v v regulary and it depends on whether your exact car model has been invovled in any 'instances' over the last few hrs.If a claim has gone in against your style of car it will have an immediate effect on the qoutation.If no claim or 'instance' is recorded the it will also have an effect on your qoutation.The longer the better.But it could literally change o/night.Grab it now while you can."
    She was right.On a fully loaded comprehensive policy it came down ,as far as I remember, about 10%!!!!!!!! over the course of 5days.I changed a typo on the cert.
    So in reality you have very little control (as long as you dont put in a claim!!) over the price of your policy!!
    This is what I was told over the counter by an employee direcrly.This may explain why there can be crazy variations on policies over time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Duckjob wrote: »

A couple of years back with AXA, I switched from a 97 Peugeot to a 92 Honda, and at the renewal the F&T part of my 3rdPF&T policy all but quadrupled (from about €150.00 to nearly €600.00). I had had no claims of any kind on the policy.

I put in to them that the Honda was about 1/5 the value of the Peugeot so what they were quoting was effectively a 20 fold increase. The person I spoke to sounded like a 17yo and I swear she was chewing gum down the phoneline. Only answer she could give me was " She eventually hung up on me when I wouldn't accept that crap and go away. I moved away from AXA shortly afterward....

She isnt wrong.I have the experience and the qoute loading to prove it.MId 90's Honda's are a piece of piss to steal.A garda showed me how they get in and started in less then 60secs after I had it stolen the 2nd time.The 3rd it was stolen it was never seen again.

• Advertisement

I put in to them that the Honda was about 1/5 the value of the Peugeot so what they were quoting was effectively a 20 fold increase.

It's like WA said earlier, the value of your own car has little bearing on the premium. It's the potential injury to someone else that you can cause in a car that pushes the premium up.

As regards the F&T increase, if they believe Hondas are easier (and more appealing) to steal then that explains that. Also which is more likely to go on fire, the older car or the newer car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

As an aside from the OP's post:
    I love the way people in Ireland still associate the he insurance premium with the value of the car, how many times have you heard:

"it's ridiculous! My car is only worth a €1,000 & yet they are looking for €2,000 to insure it!! Outrageous!"

They are insuring the risk of you driving that car, the car itself is only part of the equation, it's weighted heavily towards you in your youth, towards the car as you get older, asuming you ave a claim-free history. This of course is a bit of a generalisation.

This of course is a bit of a generalisation.

So is insurance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

It's like WA said earlier, the value of your own car has little bearing on the premium. It's the potential injury to someone else that you can cause in a car that pushes the premium up.

Yeah, but it was the fire&theft part of the policy that quadrupled, the third party actually came down a lot. That's the bit I don't understand.

As regards the F&T increase, if they believe Hondas are easier (and more appealing) to steal then that explains that.

As others mentioned though, them paying out (in my case), around €3000 to replace my car is absolute peanuts in comparison to paying out €5M if I lose control while driving the car and plough through a crowd of pedestrians.

So how can you explain having a much higher premium for F&T than 3rd party?
    Also which is more likely to go on fire, the older car or the newer car?
    Actually, my money would be on the newer Peugeot, it was a POS:D

So how can you explain having a much higher premium for F&T than 3rd party?

Actually, my money would be on the newer Peugeot, it was a POS:D

Um... I can't. I give up on trying to make sense of insurance premiums :(

Sorry forgot we were talking about a Peugeot. French cars can and will spontaneously combust at the most inappropriate times.

Advertisement