Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Transporter 2.5TDI 173BHP

Options
  • 31-01-2008 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

Looking for any opinions or advice from anyone who might be in the know about a van like this.
    I'm in the market for a second hand van and was seriously thinking about picking up a VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 130bhp when i noticed they do the same engine with 173bhp !!

I really like the idea of the 173bhp version but im thinking is there really any point seeing as in practial terms a van is a van.

They are few and far between and they seem to be dearer than the 130bhp version.

I was thinking of heading to the north or the UK if i cant see what i want here.

A couple of points of concern i have are reliability and diesel consumption. From some stuff i have read on Boards, VW are not as reliable as i once thought.

If anybody has any thoughts on this topic i'd love to here em !!

Thanks.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

may not be of interest, but I think Hyundai are launching the new H1 van in a few weeks with 170bhp 2.5 engine for around €22k.
    I drove the Montana passenger version and it's a good drive for a van. 3 year warranty etc.
    Hyundai_Starex_GRX.jpg
    Drove the Caravelle with the 173 engine and 6 speed auto box, and it's great. Most are owned by people who abuse them, from what the lads in VW service tell me anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was told by a VW mechanic to expect to pay up to e1500 for parts & labour on a clutch replacement on the earlier model 2.5 TDI. Im sure the newest model will not be much cheaper!~ Took a spin in one, rocket quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

sportline.jpg
    Transporter Speedline

I don't need a van but i'd nearly buy one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    may not be of interest, but I think Hyundai are launching the new H1 van in a few weeks with 170bhp 2.5 engine for around €22k.
    I drove the Montana passenger version and it's a good drive for a van. 3 year warranty etc.
    Hyundai_Starex_GRX.jpg
    Drove the Caravelle with the 173 engine and 6 speed auto box, and it's great. Most are owned by people who abuse them, from what the lads in VW service tell me anyway

No real interest tbh but interesting enough anyway.

With regards to people abusing them, i kind of thought as much. Makes sense if you have a powerful engine, your gonna give it some stick.

My budget is 15k max so a newer one is out of the question.:confused:

I was told by a VW mechanic to expect to pay up to e1500 for parts & labour on a clutch replacement on the earlier model 2.5 TDI. Im sure the newest model will not be much cheaper!~ Took a spin in one, rocket quick :)

A price like that does not surprise me when it comes to a main stealers;)
    Got stung by a main dealer once - NEVER AGAIN !!

• Advertisement

Ferris wrote: »
    sportline.jpg
    Transporter Speedline

I don't need a van but i'd nearly buy one of these.

Oh yeah, thats what i want:D:D

Q the A-TEAM music !:D

Advertisement