Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Devastated

Options
  • 31-01-2008 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

My one chance at getting a car credit free, something that I would enjoy for many years to come.. What happens the insurance ruins the day...

Father is finishing work etc.. Offered to buy me a car of my choice, I was looking around, and seen the integra, car I have drove before... Except this was a Type R , car I have dreamed about.

Anyway, I decided to ring my insurance see how much etc...

Got a quote of 700euros per month from Hibernian, she said its cause I am 17 etc....

DEVASTATED...

The real question here is, Whats the difference between a 1L and a 1.8L ?

I mean, if I was to have a serious crash in either of these cars, I am sure the damage would be the same on either account. Just baffled really.

Is there anywhere I can go that can give me a quote ?

Really have lost interest in the car, with its per month running costs, which could come to 1000+ ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

msg11 wrote: »
    The real question here is, Whats the difference between a 1L and a 1.8L ?
    About 140bhp! And lots more bad driving from you. Honestly, kids these days.. how many 17 year olds in any country get insured for reasonable money on an ITR? (And for good reason.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I wouldn't insure you either. I'm surprised they even quoted you 700e a month.

tbh I know what i was like when i was 17 and if you own a car of that spec you'll probably write yourself off as well as the car.

Forget about it until your driving a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

you should read the thread on the M5 crash;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So sad for you. Hope you get over it soon. Go for a 1 litre car, as you won't know the difference. :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

kona wrote: »

x2

sure not long ago a Roscommon lad same age killed himself and a passenger in his jordan civic and that was a 1.4!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

To be honest, I know its a bit of a blow but look at it as something you can work up to. In a few years you will be older, you will also hopefully have your full licence and a full no claims bonus. You will be able to drive whatever you like then :)
    In the mean time, trust me when i say this , it does not matter horse power wise, handling wise or anything else thats written on a manufacturers brochure. Your first car is always special whether it be a micra or an integra type r. Your first car is special because its what you learned to drive in, it was the first car that was YOURS and finally having your own car (regardless of the spec sheet) affords you an independence to go anywhere you want when you want and on your own steam.
    Good luck. Go for the micra, itwill be your micra and you will love having it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I wouldn't insure you either. I'm surprised they even quoted you 700e a month.

tbh I know what i was like when i was 17 and if you own a car of that spec you'll probably write yourself off as well as the car.

Forget about it until your driving a few years

+1

to be honest the very fact you can't see the difference between a 1L and a 1.8L is the one of the many reasons your being quoted €700 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

kona wrote: »

The OP's father should be made to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Whats the difference between a 1L and a 1.8L ?

0.8 litres.
    someone who asks a question like that deserves a bicycle not a car.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

miju wrote: »
    +1

to be honest the very fact you can't see the difference between a 1L and a 1.8L is the one of the many reasons your being quoted €700 a month

Sorry I am getting a little bit heated here and very pissed off, firstly I know the bhp difference etc... The point is why quote us for any car if there such a lethal weapon.

Lads don't try spoon feed me here, I am lucky to be with a license & my life, and I learned a valuable lesson about, how you don't phek around with cars, as there machines.

Also forgot to mention, I started driving in an integra 1.6 , but moved now to a ford 1.2 just though it would be nice to move back to an integra.

Also, I have my first 1 years no claims coming up and my full license test is soon, which I know I will pass.

Which brings me too this, she said that, even if I had a full license and 1 years no claims, the computer still generated a massive quote??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Which brings me too this, she said that, even if I had a full license and 1 years no claims, the computer still generated a massive quote??

You're not even fully qualified to drive and a high risk age category on a relatively high powered car, what did you expect in fairness?

Young fellas your age are cocky
    my full license test is soon, which I know I will pass.
    which is one of the reasons why your insurance costs more.

Something smaller isn't the end of the world, sounds like you've come into some good luck so stop fretting about the integra and get something else. Good luck with the new wheels whatever way it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I know it seems as if everyone here is raining on your parade but I think there is a lot of driving experience among most of the posters here and its worth listening to what they say.

I know you may feel a competent driver - but, if you get behind the wheel of something sporty the adrenalin will kick in - you will not be able to resist! This doesnt guarantee that you will crash but from an insurers point of view there is a higher risk that you will (and they are concerned about the risks). Saying that 700euro seems a lot. My advice would be to get something less powerful. If you are driving the car you suggest at 17, trust me you will get bored after a year or two and will want something even more powerful. Within a couple of years 300bhp wont be enough. Just be patient - there will still be many years to enjoy more powerful cars when you are 25 or 30 when you will be able to afford the insurance

As an aside, everyone knows that passing the driving test doesnt necessarily make you a better driver. There are very few real world situations covered in the 20 /30 mins of a test (eg night driving, motorway driving). Also I wouldnt be so cocky to assume that you definitely pass it. Anything can happen on the day and I think most people know what they would consider good drivers who have had to take a couple of bites at the driving test cherry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You're a seventeen year old without a full license trying to get insured on a car with a pretty big engine. Without sounding like a smart-arse, what did you expect man? Of course the insurance is gonna be pretty steep, from their point of view you are a risky liability.

Try a smaller car for a bit and build up a couple of years no claims bonus, that way you will be a bit older and out of the boy-racer category, have a full license, and have shown you are a responsible driver. In two years time your insurance will be waaaay cheaper and you will be able to get the car you want for a far more reasonable price. It's a number game man, like it or not, just try to work it the best way you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

The car is totally out the window, I am a risk, I know I dont have experience, even after driving a year and I wont gain it either with a full license.

The basic point I was making, really was that, its a typical Ireland thing really, charge as high as you can it that type of car and that type of person.

I do realise at the end of the day, I will have sit it out, learn some more. And wait till 2011 and see what I can do then, just angry as I said a chance like this doesn't drop itself too often to get a choice of a car, without the credit etc...

promethius, I am going to try and come up with an excuse for that, I am a realistic person here, and they are cocky. Flash the car in front of the girls etc... I am not that type of person, as I said I had a brush with death. I would like to see it again in my life. And also, lets not say here, that people in your age bracket are not cocky, I guess around the 30 - 40 ? May-be not. Which I see all the time on phones, pulling off driving that you would pay a stunt man too do.

TheBazman, everyone here is mate, I dont mind the insults about the car, but insulting the way I drive is another kettle of fish. I am open to listening to people that are willing to give advise, some of the posts are just utter trash and thrown up for a post count. And may-be I wont, but I have been driving around my test centre location since I started driving, day and at night, and been in the car while others drove around it looking for hazards myself while not driving. I would say I would most likely pass, as there has been quite alot of practise and reading of theory.

orestes, I expected them to say no, that would have been fair with me, but too come up with a figure of 700 euro per month? Is that fair, No. Been told that you can't be insured on that type of car, its too powerful is fair and telling me as it is . Waiting seems like what has to happen, and for what I have been told is better for my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The point is why quote us for any car if there such a lethal weapon.

That's like a baseball bat vs. a shotgun. Both can kill a person but 1 will do it a lot quicker and easier. If you thought somebody had the potential to kill someone, which would you give them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I don't understand how you could be "DEVASTATED"?

Did you actually expect a realistic quote at your age.

You haven't even proven you can drive, let alone control a high-powered car. You SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED NEAR A Type R. End of story.

Stay in your Ford for 3 or 4 years but even then you might not get a realistic quote. And that's the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

In fairness OP i cant see why your complaining... you want to get insured on a pretty high performance car at the minimum age for driving, without ever having shown any previous competancy of being able to drive.

TBH I don't honestly think you have the right to complain.

You also state that you had a crash before, I don't know if you were driving but if you were it was in the Integra I presume?

I don't want to attack you here, but maybe the 1.6 integra should have given you enough warning to build up expeiance for a few years.

I suggest you wait a few years, pass your test and build up your NCB. THat way you'll be able to insure a nice car reasonably and be able to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Id be devasted too if daddy was buying me a car and he cheaped out on getting me the insurance too :(

what an awful situation to be in... my heart goes out to you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm 24 with a full licence 4 years, 3 years no claims bonus and paying €1300 on a euro model integra type r, and i had trouble getting insurance, i'm afraid at your age getting insurance on such a car is just unrealistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Sorry OP, I know life's unfair, but in fairness a DC2 ITR has 189 bhp, which is very powerful for a 1.8, it's not any old 1.8 with about 2/3rds of the power an ITR has we're talking about here, and you're 17, that's why you are being quoted so much(I'm actually surprised you were quoted at all tbh).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

If Daddy is buying you the car of your choice, get yourself a nice Lexus/Porsche/Lambo (I'm assuming Veyron is out of his budget) etc.

Leave it sitting in the drive for a few years while you drive a micra and build up your no claims :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Also, I have my first 1 years no claims coming up and my full license test is soon, which I know I will pass.

Your not cocky? Why don't you call the insurance company and tell them you know you wont crash.

Look msg, your lucky your dad is spending his cash on a car for you, at 17 having a car is amazing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Get over it FFS. You don't even have a license and you're only 17 - we all had to go through wanting fast cars but not being able to have them. I didn't get my first car until I was 22, it was a 1 litre Charade and it cost me about £1300 in old money to insure TPF&T having had a full license for 4 years.

You're lucky to be getting a free car - get whatever you can and stop moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

At 17 and with a provisional licence you are statistically a much, much higher risk than someone a few years older with some more experience, thus you get quoted much more on the same cars. This is how insurance works. Deal with it. When I was 17 I couldn't get an insurance quote on anything but a 50cc scooter! Things have improved considerably since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

x2

sure not long ago a Roscommon lad same age killed himself and a passenger in his jordan civic and that was a 1.4!!

The Jordan Civic is a 1.6, with 160bhp... his mother bought it for him, cause the 1.4 civic he had before it (that she also bought for him) wasn't quick enough.
    That kind of supports everyone's opinion here, and rightly so.
    OP, I had to wait till I was 22 before I had saved enough for my first car, and at that I was charged IR£2,000 for the year TPF&T (on a 1.4). The following year it went up to €2,800 (about IR£2,500) because of September 11th. You think you're hard done by? Try getting ripped off because of stupid muslim terrorist incident 3000 miles away.
    I had to wait till I was 25 till I got insured in something even remotely decent. I bloody well appreciated it when I got it. I've absolute zero sympathy for you, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

a chance like this doesn't drop itself too often to get a choice of a car, without the credit etc...

Ask your dad to deposit the money on a savings account. In a few years time (with say 3 or 4 years NCB and a full license) you'll be able to buy a nice car with it and get affordable insurance. And you'll still only be 20 or so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Hey Msg11

First of all, screw the begrdugers. If your Da worked for his money it's up to him what he does with it. And he wants to give you a present of a car, then fair play to him. You're lucky to have a generous Da like that.

It's a pity about the insurance, but to be honest it's hard to blame them. You're only 17 years of age and that's a pretty powerful car. I know you feel you are a good driver etc. but the statistics that Insurance Companies base their quotes on say otherwise.

When, you're da is being so good, I think it's a bit of a waste to waste it on a feckin' Micra or something like that. Maybe the best thing to do, would be to put your Da off for a few years. Tell him the story about the insurance, and ask him can you put it off untill mayBe your 21st or something like that. In the meantime Get an aul' festy or something like that and clock up the no claims bonus.

Do what half the country is doing. Get your da to insure the type R under his own name.

Buy a cheap low insurance rated car like a punto or clio and get insured on that in your name. Most policies will allow you to drive other cars, ie the type R. It still won't be cheap but it will be way cheaper than 700 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The basic point I was making, really was that, its a typical Ireland thing really, charge as high as you can it that type of car and that type of person.

Typical ireland, eh?

For the laugh I entered the details of a fictional 17 year old male on the Norwich Union UK website, them being a sister company to Hiberinan. I gave this fictional 17 year old the benefit of a recently aquired full license and gave the car the best security possible, cat 1 alarm, immobiliser and tracker in addition to being kept in a locked garage and even made this 17 year old a policeman by profession with a low annual mileage of 5k.
    They wouldn't quote for the business but gave a link to anther website that you could transfer the details to which searched 18 additional companies. Only one would quote; a whopping £11,859.75 (~€15,800) from a company called sabre. An installment plan is available that would require 20% up front and 10 equal monthly installments at 23.5% APR so nearly £2,400 (~€3,200) up front and monthly payments of nearly £1,000 (~€1,330), except you must be 18 to avail of that.

It sounds to me like you were offered a much better deal here in typical ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

unkel wrote: »
    Ask your dad to deposit the money on a savings account. In a few years time (with say 3 or 4 years NCB and a full license) you'll be able to buy a nice car with it and get affordable insurance. And you'll still only be 20 or so!
    Hey. That was my idea first. I just took too long to write it.

Advertisement