Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Devastated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

unkel wrote: »
    Ask your dad to deposit the money on a savings account. In a few years time (with say 3 or 4 years NCB and a full license) you'll be able to buy a nice car with it and get affordable insurance. And you'll still only be 20 or so!

That's your best option to be honest. Your insurance is going to be more expensive on any car than some one who is in there 20's with 3/4 years NCB.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I wanted a car for years, but could never afford one. Eventually paid 6k for a car in 2004. insurance was 3.5k! My insurances was 55% of the value of the car. It was only a 1l car, but I really enjoyed it.
    The benefit of a 1l car is, you can really feel a power (or lack of) in an engine. I had some scary moments in the car, and was thankful for less power. It helps you respect the power that is underfoot. I moved onto more powerful cars after gaining more experience. Again, I always compare it to my first 1l. If I had some close shaves in a lot less power, I know that in a higher power, the chances greatly increase.
    The Teg5 is a fantastic car. I love it, but you can easily lose the control of it. If you are moving to a RWD, get a lot less power. The difference in control of a RWD is amazingly different from a FWD.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP, A Type R is a weapon.
    I drive one alot and even I am cautious driving it. Its categorised as a sports car and that is why your insurance is high on it.
    I would suggest getting something like a Levin/Corolla GT coupe (Which are 1. but still decent power) and then build your way up to a Type R after a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Young men aged 17-26 are six times more likely to have an accident resulting in a claim whilst driving. That's why you're being screwed, because that's how insurance works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kids these days. The very notion of my dad dropping a car into my lap when I was 17 is daft (I used my mums Fiat 127!) the idea he would think it right and proper to award his son with a 200 bhp machine is laughable. I'm actually a bit annoyed your dad apparently has such bad judgment.

Get a 2/3 grand 1.2 shopping trolley learn to drive (as opposed to merely passing a test) get a decent NCB and then ask you old man for a car that you desire. He can get some interest on the money in the meantime.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OP there is no way you can expect to get a remotely cheap quote at your age with such a high powered car. My other half paid nearly €5,000 on his car when he was around 22 and that was a 1.1L 206! He didn't have full license but at 22 and only a 1.1L that quote was complete extorsion. Oh and only Quinn would insure him.

So I can't stand it when I hear someone who is 5 years younger complaining about a high quote on a car much higher powered when my other half got completely screwed over and is the safest driver I know. Just get a smaller car and be able to get insured for a few thousand rather than over €8,000. I mean everyone has to start off with a low powered car to build up their no claims bonus. Sorry but it's just completely unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

x2

sure not long ago a Roscommon lad same age killed himself and a passenger in his jordan civic and that was a 1.4!!

now in fairness a jordan civic is a tuned 1.6 V-tec they are **** quick.
    i know sombody who got the engine out of that:eek:

OP im payin 2 grand on a 91 mini, which i payed for myself after saving my ass off for 4 years.

why dont you just buy a regular integra from japan, stick a set of recaros in it, paint the callipers, and stick a type R badge on it???

or get your dad (or your ma...even better)to insure the type R then put you as named driver.

being honest aside from the cost, you will attract cops to you like flies to ****.
    and you will get no sympathy from them, it happens to guys in work with SIR civics and Mivec lancers INTEGRA TYPE R, Altezzas, they get pulled on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

unkel wrote: »
    Ask your dad to deposit the money on a savings account. In a few years time (with say 3 or 4 years NCB and a full license) you'll be able to buy a nice car with it and get affordable insurance. And you'll still only be 20 or so!

great idea
    ronoc wrote: »
    Do what half the country is doing. Get your da to insure the type R under his own name.

Buy a cheap low insurance rated car like a punto or clio and get insured on that in your name. Most policies will allow you to drive other cars, ie the type R. It still won't be cheap but it will be way cheaper than 700 a month.

thats ridicolous, you wont be properly insured in the type r as i assume you'd be the main driver but if in an accident the insurance found out about it they'd use it as an excuse not to pay.

Giving a Type r to a 17 year old is just plain stupid, a car that powerfull in inexperienced hands is just lethal, it the op appreciatted the power of the car he'd have enough common sense to drive a less powerfull car for a couple of years to get experience at driving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

msg11 wrote: »
    Got a quote of 700euros per month from Hibernian, she said its cause I am 17 etc....

DEVASTATED...
    What Hibernian were trying to tell you was "Get a life",
    literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

A friend of mine had an Integra type R for a while, but sold it as the parts were too expensive. A lot of the mechanical parts on the Type R's back then were made in very small amounts, and as a result, parts are now expensive (he paid €300 for brake discs two years ago!)

The ITR also scared him, and he can drive (he got driving lessons from Prodrive. In the end, he was doing 125mph four wheel drifts in a STI impreza on dry tarmac!). The car was also quicker than his Rally Car, and was a handful when moving on back roads.

I drove the car for 400 yards, stopped and walked back, I scared myself so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Young men aged 17-26 are six times more likely to have an accident resulting in a claim whilst driving. That's why you're being screwed, because that's how insurance works.

This is exactly it. You're statistically much more likely to claim (or to have a large claim) because of your age and lack of experience, and this is increased again by having a high-performance car which is valuable and a target for thieves. It's not personal or Irish, just basic underwriting.

draffodx wrote: »
    great idea

thats ridicolous, you wont be properly insured in the type r as i assume you'd be the main driver but if in an accident the insurance found out about it they'd use it as an excuse not to pay.
    It may be stupid but its perfectly legal. If the policy covers driving other peoples cars with their permission then he will be covered as long as its not his car and he has permission.
    Giving a Type r to a 17 year old is just plain stupid, a car that powerfull in inexperienced hands is just lethal, it the op appreciatted the power of the car he'd have enough common sense to drive a less powerfull car for a couple of years to get experience at driving
    Perhaps but we don't know what sort of driver he is. With some good training he could be perfectly fine behind the wheel in a few months.
    Perhaps not the best idea to start learning in a Teg though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It may be stupid but its perfectly legal. If the policy covers driving other peoples cars with their permission then he will be covered as long as its not his car and he has permission.

its perfectly legal if your honestly only goin to drive the car your not fully insured with on occasion, the OP will simply be using it as a loophole to allow him to drive the teg, Insurance companies are getting much more aware of the loophole and would definately be suspicious of a 17 named driver on a teg type r.
    Perhaps but we don't know what sort of driver he is. With some good training he could be perfectly fine behind the wheel in a few months.
    Perhaps not the best idea to start learning in a Teg though!

True but the OP hasn't stated any professional training that he may have recieved and I know what i was like driving a car at 17 and it was only a 1.25cc fiesta, the most mature way to do it is buy the car not but buy another sensible car aswell, build up your experience and ncb until your ready for the teg. I drive one and its way too powerfull for a 17 year old to be driving.

its perfectly legal if your honestly only goin to drive the car your not fully insured with on occasion, the OP will simply be using it as a loophole to allow him to drive the teg, Insurance companies are getting much more aware of the loophole and would definately be suspicious of a 17 named driver on a teg type r..
    You have totally misunderstood me. He would be the primary named driver on another car. He would not be named on the Integra's policy. That would be in say his father's name.

By vitue of having your own policy he could drive any other car that he does not own with the owners permission. In this case "his dads" Integra.
    True, it sometimes states that the car in his policy must be the primary vehicle but I have not heard of anyone ever getting caught out by that clause. This practice is very wipespread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

PaulKK wrote: »
    In fairness OP i cant see why your complaining... you want to get insured on a pretty high performance car at the minimum age for driving, without ever having shown any previous competancy of being able to drive.

TBH I don't honestly think you have the right to complain.

You also state that you had a crash before, I don't know if you were driving but if you were it was in the Integra I presume?

I don't want to attack you here, but maybe the 1.6 integra should have given you enough warning to build up expeiance for a few years.

I suggest you wait a few years, pass your test and build up your NCB. THat way you'll be able to insure a nice car reasonably and be able to enjoy it.

I have you know, my Integra is sitting in the garden outside. I have one years NCB coming up, so thats a start, for these people saying I cant drive, how can you say that? You don't even know me.
    Wossack wrote: »
    Id be devasted too if daddy was buying me a car and he cheeped out on getting me the insurance too :(

what an awful situation to be in... my heart goes out to you

Whats your point mate ? My heart goes out to you too.
    I'm 24 with a full licence 4 years, 3 years no claims bonus and paying €1300 on a euro model integra type r, and i had trouble getting insurance, i'm afraid at your age getting insurance on such a car is just unrealistic

Thanks for your input draffodx, at leased I know that it is out there after a few years which I dont mind waiting.
    javaboy wrote: »
    If Daddy is buying you the car of your choice, get yourself a nice Lexus/Porsche/Lambo (I'm assuming Veyron is out of his budget) etc.

Leave it sitting in the drive for a few years while you drive a micra and build up your no claims :D

Think people are getting the wrong idea here.. My father just came into a bit of money nothing too much, just said i'll buy you a car. I was thinking of leaving it in the garden, which is a bit pointless in the end. Once again, I WILL WAIT.
    lightening wrote: »
    Your not cocky? Why don't you call the insurance company and tell them you know you wont crash.

Look msg, your lucky your dad is spending his cash on a car for you, at 17 having a car is amazing.

Because I don't think they would care, too be honest with you, I think you would start getting a bit cocky in this thread if you where me. People just slating me cause I was thinking about getting a high performance car the legal way, oh look what happens, usual **** from this contry, do something right, sure that's wrong isn't it. And who going to stop one of uses crashing into me ? (and yes that was a pun, I know some of the people in this thread couldn't do that there cars wont let them.

And here mate, I bought my own car twice. He offered it as good gesture to me.
    Biro wrote: »
    The Jordan Civic is a 1.6, with 160bhp... his mother bought it for him, cause the 1.4 civic he had before it (that she also bought for him) wasn't quick enough.
    That kind of supports everyone's opinion here, and rightly so.
    OP, I had to wait till I was 22 before I had saved enough for my first car, and at that I was charged IR£2,000 for the year TPF&T (on a 1.4). The following year it went up to €2,800 (about IR£2,500) because of September 11th. You think you're hard done by? Try getting ripped off because of stupid muslim terrorist incident 3000 miles away.
    I had to wait till I was 25 till I got insured in something even remotely decent. I bloody well appreciated it when I got it. I've absolute zero sympathy for you, sorry.

I don't expect you too have sympathy for me, People are misreading the thread, the whole point of the thread was, how insurance company's can rip people off, and some people here think there on a great deal. That's my point.

alias no.9 is typical IRELAND, you make me laugh, trying to deny how much a rip of this country is, hardly here nor there in this thread to be honest.

CAN WE JUST CLEAR ONE OTHER THING UP... I AM CURRENTLY DRIVING NEAR 1 YEAR. I HAVE A SMALL CAR... PEOPLE ARE UNDER THE IMPRESSION I AM JUST JUMPING IN A TYPE R with not one bit of experience, which is not the CASE.

Anyway, to close the thread, I am going to wait a few years to build up the NCB, get the full license and then see if I still want the car, which I doubt, with rising petrol and the new tax band.

Thanks for everyone how put some positive feed back in, as for the others get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Also, I have my first 1 years no claims coming up and my full license test is soon, which I know I will pass.

Even if you pass your test, the fact your 17 is the problem and the reason a insurance company wont give you a quote or insure you. I would suggest you try again in 9yrs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

people aren't saying you can't drive. they are saying the car is too powerful for an inexperienced 17 year old driver on a provisional license. thats also what the insurance company is telling you too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The moral of the story here is do your homework before getting something you find you can't afford to get insured on.

As others have said, why not be just a name driver?

E92 wrote: »
    The moral of the story here is do your homework before getting something you find you can't afford to get insured on.

As others have said, why not be just a name driver?

Thats the moral of the story, make sure you can get a decent quote, its what I learnt.

Not even going to bother with name driver, I'll just wait till I am older.

• Advertisement

You have totally misunderstood me. He would be the primary named driver on another car. He would not be named on the Integra's policy. That would be in say his father's name.

By vitue of having your own policy he could drive any other car that he does not own with the owners permission. In this case "his dads" Integra.
    True, it sometimes states that the car in his policy must be the primary vehicle but I have not heard of anyone ever getting caught out by that clause. This practice is very wipespread.

I can't do that at the moment, but when I get the full license I could drive anyone's car with there permission , as I am fully comp .

But I think the type R is out the window to be honest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thats the moral of the story, make sure you can get a decent quote, its what I learnt.

Not even going to bother with name driver, I'll just wait till I am older.

Wise choice mate, and it will be well worth the wait when you do get one. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 angryaine

700?!
    your an ungrateful little c**t. thats cheap. if you had to pay for the car yourself you might appreciate the value of the quote.

im 30 and paying more on a banger, and im driving 12 years.

angryaine wrote: »
    700?!
    your an ungrateful little c**t. thats cheap. if you had to pay for the car yourself you might appreciate the value of the quote.

Calm down and re-read the thread, he said 700 a MONTH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

This does not apply for Provisional License Holders like the OP.

Cionád wrote: »
    This does not apply for Provisional License Holders like the OP.

As it says in the small print on my policy anyway.
    700?!

You need to calm down, if your paying that per month I am no expert but you would want to shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

And who going to stop one of uses crashing into me ? (and yes that was a pun, I know some of the people in this thread couldn't do that there cars wont let them.

:confused: I fail to spot the pun...
    People are misreading the thread, the whole point of the thread was, how insurance company's can rip people off, and some people here think there on a great deal. That's my point.

alias no.9 is typical IRELAND, you make me laugh, trying to deny how much a rip of this country is, hardly here nor there in this thread to be honest.

CAN WE JUST CLEAR ONE OTHER THING UP... I AM CURRENTLY DRIVING NEAR 1 YEAR. I HAVE A SMALL CAR... PEOPLE ARE UNDER THE IMPRESSION I AM JUST JUMPING IN A TYPE R with not one bit of experience, which is not the CASE.

Anyway, to close the thread, I am going to wait a few years to build up the NCB, get the full license and then see if I still want the car, which I doubt, with rising petrol and the new tax band.

Thanks for everyone how put some positive feed back in, as for the others get over yourself.

To be fair, the Irish by and large have gotten greedy, and it has led to a rip off culture where everyone wants too much money, but in your specific case I can't see a problem with an insurance company wanting to insure you.
    No one is saying you're a bad driver, but it takes a lot longer than 1 year to become a good driver.
    Is it the look of the type R that you like or the performance or the handling? The reason I ask is so that people can get a feel for what you're looking for, and there is fairly extensive knowledge on this forum between many different people, so we're bound to come up with an insurable alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

your an ungrateful little c**t

Take jonny's advice and calm down. There's no place for that language here. Consider yourself warned...

Biro wrote: »
    :confused: I fail to spot the pun...

To be fair, the Irish by and large have gotten greedy, and it has led to a rip off culture where everyone wants too much money, but in your specific case I can't see a problem with an insurance company wanting to insure you.
    No one is saying you're a bad driver, but it takes a lot longer than 1 year to become a good driver.
    Is it the look of the type R that you like or the performance or the handling? The reason I ask is so that people can get a feel for what you're looking for, and there is fairly extensive knowledge on this forum between many different people, so we're bound to come up with an insurable alternative!

I know I am not a perfect driver, even after years of driving who is ? But I agree it takes more than a year..

Forget a about the pun, the reason I was after a type R was because it was around the same as the normal 1.6 price wise, and I feel it would hold its value longer.

The type of car I would like would be something, that is'nt a hot hatch, I would say that stepping into the 1.8 range was always risky from the start. So I would, be looking for a decent bit of power, say 1.4-1.6 and something that is not a hatch as I am quite a tall person, and the fiesta is pushing it on the leg room in the back of the car and head room for myself.

Also, I would like the car too hold its value fairly well. I was also thinking along the lines of the mirage 1.6 or the civic saloon vti. Feedback anyone? Even suggestions for other cars, taking into account above...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

A couple of points for you to ponder/debate regarding Insurance.

If your Dad insures a car and puts you down as named driver, if the Insurance company determines that you drive the car the majority of the time, do they have the right terminate the contract? I think that they can but may be hard to prove.

If your Dad buys the car and insures it. You buy a smaller car and insure it you may not be insured on it. Highest cover you could get is third party only. Also, in the fine print of your own policy it will state that you are not allowed to drive a car which is owned by someone who permanently resides with you even if they give you permission to dirve it.

Let the debate begin!

Advertisement