Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parachute Regiments P coy Videos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I cant watch the videos in work but are they from the documentary they made in the 80's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

Beano wrote: »
    I cant watch the videos in work but are they from the documentary they made in the 80's?

One series is from 82 the other the 90s.

The trainasium.

http://www2.norwich.edu/spage/image018.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KEVIN B

i be there to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

yeah i recently watched all these just a week or two ago very good shows, training looks brutal is it like this in the PDF? do we have that cannon/log/stretcher run in the PDF? because that looks deadly...

Also, i think some of the NCOs were being nice infront of the camera in some parts when you would expect them to eat the head of someone...:D

Cato wrote: »
    yeah i recently watched all these just a week or two ago very good shows, training looks brutal is it like this in the PDF? do we have that cannon/log/stretcher run in the PDF? because that looks deadly...

Also, i think some of the NCOs were being nice infront of the camera in some parts when you would expect them to eat the head of someone...:D

The Paras role is traditionally as NATO's frontline Spearhead troops, the role they have historically trained for was to hold up Soviet armour in Germany in the event of hostilities. It was estimated in the event of such hostilities the average Paras battle life expectancy would have been 9 hours.

Thus their training was/is ultra competitive, but it means they are not really suited as peacekeepers, although its a role they have also served.

The Irish army train for a very different role, to defend the country in the event of invasion, to defend the state from armed subversives and in a UN peace keeping role. I don't know if the republic needs such a competitive infantry unit, nor if the cost would justify it, each Para costs £37k to train.

The stretcher race is used in British army infantry units as a team building exercise as well as a training exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Quis Separabit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cutaway

I remember watching some of those videos years ago, Thanks for uploading them!

No problem,Glad they don't cause offence.

Advertisement