Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Political Science Department in Ireland?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what do you think is the best university department in the country for studying Political Science/Politics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Is there a reason for asking?

This isn't a CAO board.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Just curious as to what the politico's on here think. As this is the Politics forum, I just preumed they'd know most about the Political Science departments in Ireland.

Just on a sidenote, there is no CAO forum. And if you look to the Philosophy forum, there is an ongoing thread there about the best place to study Philosophy in Ireland. So, why not here in Politics?

Just looking for a few opinions of people who have studied Poltics/Political Science in Ireland and what they thought of their particular college.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Between UCD and TCD. TCD have been hit hard lately by people leaving, however I'd say they are still better than UCD in terms of name. In terms of teaching quality, I'd say UCD is probably better. Solution? Go to Oxford, Cambridge or LSE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well I can vouch for Galway. You can do a combined Sociology & Politics degree there.

IMO It doesn't really matter where you do your primary degree. You can do a primary degree in any of the colleges here and they should be the same standard more or less. You'll find out about the best post grads while you're actually in College and then find apply for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

However whether it should be the case or not, Trinity has a better international name. A 2.1 from Trinity will get your further than a 2.1 from other Irish colleges. But if you get a 1st you should be fine either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Sort of what I was going to say. That, whatever degree you do, it's the work you put in that counts. Beyond that, it's looking at the curriculum, researching any well-regarded expertise within the department, and deciding if the subject matches with your career goals. For example, some Departments might focus on the more technical side of political 'science', whereas others may focus on theory, etc. The former may be more 'practical', but may mean a student loses out on the wider context of political thought.

It's also worth noting that the personalities in a Department can have an impact of student's post-college success; they sometimes come with connections etc. This happens more at post-grad level, but it's also worth bearing in mind that you're entering an academic community.

But I'll say again, it's down to the work you put in.

Advertisement