Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart slow/not connecting

Options
  • 31-01-2008 6:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

Anyone else have problems with smart BB? I have been online all night and sometimes get timed out message, and yahoo sometimes never connects. I know there has been a problem with yahoo, but I even used my mailchecker program and it would og into 4 of my .com names, and my 1 .co.uk name, but one of my .com names was nothing! LOL so it not specific to .com or .co.uk strange one? I can get some pages no problem but others just timeout.

I am on 7Mb broadband, using ethernet, XP Pro, Firefox and Thunderbird. No probs with Thunderbird, still can get my SMTP mail. Nothing running in the background that would stall it, only Zonealram, spybot, and AVG free anti-virus. (don't see why I should pay for some little geeks spitefullness!)

Any ideas? (mind you have had BB connected for 3days! but switched off router then reconnected and still getting it)

DJ Spider

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,003 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's been randomly acting up for me for about two weeks.

I thought at first it might be spyware related because I'd used a lot of torrents recently, but I removed everything from my system and it still happens.

I'll leave it for a week or so and then give tech support a shout.

They might just be doing some work on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Do you have an Aolynk DSL modem? They definitely had some problems in the past.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A new series of remedial profiles is available. Post here to have your line stats checked and a new profile applied if need be.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Smart have increased the speed for some/all customers quite significantly but without any advance warning or ongoing communication. This has certainly caused problems on my line which is barely capable of the ordinary speed never mind the increased speeds.

For instance the noise margin on my line last night was zero it should be above 10 to avoid problems.

The increased speeds must be causing problems for people with poor lines and this was easily predictable.

It is of course good news that Smart are willing to experiment like this but keeping customers informed of what's going on seems not to have been taken into account.

The remedial profiles are nothing new and again to Smart's credit have always been there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dub45 wrote: »
    Smart have increased the speed for some/all customers quite significantly but without any advance warning or ongoing communication. This has certainly caused problems on my line which is barely capable of the ordinary speed never mind the increased speeds.

For instance the noise margin on my line last night was zero it should be above 10 to avoid problems.

The increased speeds must be causing problems for people with poor lines and this was easily predictable.

It is of course good news that Smart are willing to experiment like this but keeping customers informed of what's going on seems not to have been taken into account.

The remedial profiles are nothing new and again to Smart's credit have always been there.

Didn't they only have 1 remedial profile in the past, compared to the more targeted set of 4 now? Your lines profile was changed by Colm on the Smart forums. I can live with a lack of communication given that I now have a 20 meg line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Spear wrote: »
    Didn't they only have 1 remedial profile in the past, compared to the more targeted set of 4 now? Your lines profile was changed by Colm on the Smart forums. I can live with a lack of communication given that I now have a 20 meg line.

Its quite easy to be complacent when you are in the happy position of having a good line. One persons dream speeds are another's nightmare. If you read the forums over a long period you wll see that the teccies there even tweaked peoples profiles on an individual basis. They are well aware of the problems increased speeds cause for people both from the bonus 'global' increase some time ago and the problems that individuals encounter when they ask to have their speed upgraded.

A little bit of foresight and communication and the type of problems listed here need not have happened.

Advertisement