Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

hard on petrol

Options
  • 31-01-2008 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi Guys
    would a 1.6 be harder on petrol then a 1.4. say over a long drive.

Thanks
    guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It depends on the car and the engine. If forced to choose I would say yes, but there are so many exceptions as to make a straight answer impossible. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

loreco wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    would a 1.6 be harder on petrol then a 1.4. say over a long drive.

Couldn't possibly say without a comparison between two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Completely depends on the car, but some cars use the same amount, or possibly less petrol with a bigger engine, because the engine doesn't have to work as hard to shift the car. I used to drive an 156 1.6 litre, and I don't think there was much difference between that and the 1.8. On a long drive with a good bit of motorway driving, I'd say even the 2.0 wouldn't have been much thirstier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.4 and 1.6 petrol Ford Focus are pretty much identical on longer runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭keitht

I had a 1.4 Ford Focus.02 cl. and now i have a mazda 3 1.6 2008.
    and i think the mazda is alot harder on petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

alot depends on how you drive em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

keitht wrote: »
    I had a 1.4 Ford Focus.02 cl. and now i have a mazda 3 1.6 2008.
    and i think the mazda is alot harder on petrol.

Give the engine time to free up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

for motorway driving a slighly bigger engine will be more economical in lots of cars as it is working alot less so you would not have to drive it as hard and for driving in traffic a smaller engine would usually be more economical, but all of this totally depends on the car and your driving style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Spit62500 wrote: »
    Give the engine time to free up
    +1. New engines are always heavier on juice. Its just the way they are. It will get better after a few thousand miles.

Though some of the Focus's engines are shared with the Mazda, or is it the other way around, so they should be pretty similar in the long run.

I would say a 1.6 is lighter on petrol at high speed driving because the engine is under far less stress than a 1.4 would be, and 1.4s only really sold well here because they got into the 22.5% VRT and the lower tax rates meant they were a far cheaper to buy and run, but as anyone who has looked at the new VRT structure will tell you, the difference between most 1.4s and 1.6s is so small it makes no difference(actually under the new VRT system, most 1.6s are in the same VRT category and road tax category, so the days of the Government subsidising 1.4s are coming to an end very soon).

Advertisement