Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much to repair this?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

How much would it cost to repair this? The bumper was pierced by a gate. There doesn't appear to be any damage behind it, and the bumper appears to still be properly aligned.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

why dont you just buy a bumper from a scrapyard and put it on yourself
    prob be about 200 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I thought of that, but there's the hassle and the possible colour mismatch to consider, along with the fact that any suitable bumper in a scrapyard will probably be a bit the worse for wear at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Also it's not exactly going to be easy finding a bumper for a Forester in a scrapyard in this country. I wonder what ridiculous price Subaru would charge for a new one?

I just rang Subaru - €276+VAT for a new one. That's not so bad, really. I wonder how much it'd cost to paint & fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

I'd say you're looking at the same again to paint and fix. It might be possible to repair your bumper though.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was thinking in terms of maybe €600 for a new bumper painted & fitted. Do you reckon it could be repaired? Looks like a pretty big hole to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I don't think you would ever get the contour right. That price you go sounds cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

If you are holding on to the car, I would get the new one. Unless of course a good panel or spray man said they would fix it up for you. I would doubt it though, it being plastic and designed to crumble a certain way. I would say that it would be just as expensive to fix as reapir.
    Ask a good panel beater to price it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

If you were handy yourself and wanted to save a few quid, you could fibreglass the back of the damaged area and fill the front with body filler. Personally, I'd replace it though.

Ok lads, thanks for that. I think you're right, a new bumper looks to be the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭youtheman

You're lucky because the bumper is a different colour to the body of the car so you don't have to blend in the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if you repair the bumper, any time you touch the bumper off anything it'll crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah - new bumper. If you want a price to have it done right, call Crofton Motors in Kimmage (01 492 1833) and get a price. Not the cheapest, but they do excellent work. Ask for Joe or Kieron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Has the wing been misaligned at its extremity (nearest the camera) or is that a trick of the light?

I'm thinking the latter since you say the bumper is still plumb.

Forget fibreglass and filler, as said. Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

crosstownk wrote: »
    Yeah - new bumper. If you want a price to have it done right, call Crofton Motors in Kimmage (01 492 1833) and get a price. Not the cheapest, but they do excellent work. Ask for Joe or Kieron.

I'd second the Crofton Motors. Have had a few bits done by them and always top drawer. Kieron is a nice bloke to deal with too.

Cool, i'll give them a buzz. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Just a quick update - as advised, I got Kieron in Crofton Motors to do the job. He sourced, painted and fitted a new bumper for €600, he's a very nice guy and i'm completely satisfied with his standard of work. Thanks again to crosstownk & seperate for the recommendation.

Advertisement