Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about rates in Rabo!

Options
  • 31-01-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭

Ok so I've been saving away and now I've got 3000 saved up

It's now earning a rate of 4.3% in my rabo savings account

I could put the 3000 into a 3 month term deposit for 4.11%

or 6 months for 4.07%

which are both less than what I'm getting in just the normal saving account.

I'm not in the position to lock the money away for anything longer so really I'm just wondering what's the point of rabo having those products available for when they're less competitive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I haven't checked out the full details Tails, but afaik, the current account has a limit of 20k on the higher interest rate.

Maybe you can put higher amounts in those other two term accounts.Otherwise a lower interest rate for a longer lock in period doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

paulksnn wrote: »
    I haven't checked out the full details Tails, but afaik, the current account has a limit of 20k on the higher interest rate.

Maybe you can put higher amounts in those other two term accounts.Otherwise a lower interest rate for a longer lock in period doesn't make sense.

The high/low rates now are €1million

I think that the difference is that the term accounts are fixed rate whereas the normal one is variable rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Tails142 wrote: »
    Ok so I've been saving away and now I've got 3000 saved up

It's now earning a rate of 4.3% in my rabo savings account

I could put the 3000 into a 3 month term deposit for 4.11%

or 6 months for 4.07%

which are both less than what I'm getting in just the normal saving account.

I'm not in the position to lock the money away for anything longer so really I'm just wondering what's the point of rabo having those products available for when they're less competitive?

Interest rates are probably on the decline, so the 4.3% rate could get reduced. If the European Central Bank copied the US and put in a big drop of around 1%, then there would be a strong chance of Rabo reducing the 4.3% rate. If you pick the 3 or 6 month fixed terms, then you are guaranteed that return no matter what happens to interest rates in that period.

BTW, there are 4 or 5 institutions who would give you a better rate than 4.3% on your 3 grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

First Active. 5.22% up to 15K

http://www.firstactive.ie/savings/index.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Rabodirect man is shocking quiet these days...........

• Advertisement
Advertisement