Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalist sentenced to death in Afghanistan for...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Poor guy, really messed up decision over there.

However, what did everyone expect, that democracy would be easy and happen over night? The country is in tatters, its going to take a lot of hard work to get this to change. Stuff like this should make people redouble there efforts to effect change and accept its not an easy thing to do and will take time.

Also, there is quite a bit of blame to go round for the piss poor effort to actually fix things over there:

Afghan reports offer bleak assessments

Also a quote from the article:
    The relief agency, Oxfam International, has sent an open letter to the leaders of supporting nations calling for "a major change in direction in order to reduce suffering and avert humanitarian disaster."

The influential US-based Afghanistan Study Group has meanwhile warned that the progress made in the six years since the end of the Taleban regime "is under serious threat from resurgent violence, weakening international resolve, and a growing lack of confidence on the part of the Afghan people".

And the US think-tank, the Atlantic Council of the United States, starts its report with the words: "Make no mistake, Nato is not winning in Afghanistan."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Another example of sharia law at work. Its inhuman but not surprising given the teddy bear incident, the rape victim who got 300 lashes - its an ongoing list of inhuman judgements from different muslim countries. The defence that none of this is related to islam just those 'bad apple' countries is wearing thin at this stage. imo.

Sentenced to death: Afghan who dared to read about women's rights

By Kim Sengupta
    Thursday, 31 January 2008

A young man, a student of journalism, is sentenced to death by an Islamic court for downloading a report from the internet. The sentence is then upheld by the country's rulers. This is Afghanistan – not in Taliban times but six years after "liberation" and under the democratic rule of the West's ally Hamid Karzai.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/sentenced-to-death-afghan-who-dared-to-read-about-womens-rights-775972.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I can't quite understand how the us/uk is losing.

other then it impossible to win militarily, and that you can't control a population.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

I can't quite understand how the us/uk is losing.

other then it impossible to win militarily, and that you can't control a population.

what relevance had the above comment to the topic in hand here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

sorry posted on wrong post,seems his death sentence was commutted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Morlar wrote: »
    The defence that none of this is related to islam just those 'bad apple' countries is wearing thin at this stage.
    I don't think anyone has claimed that this incident has nothing to do with Islam. But, I suggest you read the entire article that you quoted. It stated that Mr. Kambaksh "was accused of blasphemy after he downloaded a report from a Farsi website which stated that Muslim fundamentalists who claimed the Koran justified the oppression of women had misrepresented the views of the prophet Mohamed." In other words, he was reading about Muslims who say that the oppression of women is wrong.
    This is Afghanistan – not in Taliban times but six years after "liberation" and under the democratic rule of the West's ally Hamid Karzai.
    Hamid Karzai would not be in power without US support.

On a side note, I would suggest that everyone go and see The Kite Runner - it gives a good insight into how Afghanistan descended into the mess it is in today.

djpbarry wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has claimed that this incident has nothing to do with Islam.

Everytime something like this happens it is vigorously claimed that its nothing to do with islam and its just another isolated example of a 'bad apple' country and their incorrect interpretation of islam. No connection whatsoever. If you have honestly never seen this in action I suggest you check out the islamic forum here on boards where previously a moderator has suggested that stoning adulterous women to death is acceptable.
    But, I suggest you read the entire article that you quoted.

I did thanks.

Everytime something like this happens it is vigorously claimed that its nothing to do with islam and its just another isolated example of a 'bad apple' country and their incorrect interpretation of islam.
    Well, I'm just talking about this thread and as yet, nobody has denied that there is obviously a connection with these guys' warped interpretation of the religion. There are plenty of Muslims (many within Afghanistan) who have condemned the sentence passed down to Mr. Kambaksh.

There are plenty of Muslims (many within Afghanistan) who have condemned the sentence passed down to Mr. Kambaksh.

Well if your trying to say that there are plenty of muslims in afghanistan (or pakistan for that matter) opposed to this I disagree due to the lack of any evidence to support that claim - if thats actually what your saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

Everytime something like this happens it is vigorously claimed that its nothing to do with islam and its just another isolated example of a 'bad apple' country and their incorrect interpretation of islam. No connection whatsoever. If you have honestly never seen this in action I suggest you check out the islamic forum here on boards where previously a moderator has suggested that stoning adulterous women to death is acceptable.

I did thanks.

i witnessed that particular moderator defend the practice of stoning to death , this was after about 5 pages discussing the whole area of stoning akin to the same way a couple of guys might debate the merrits of anti lock braking in a new car

btw , the moderators name , heres a clue , its not behind you

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've warned before about using this forum as a platform for complaining about the moderators of another forum. Morlar and moe sizlak banned for a week.

Well if your trying to say that there are plenty of muslims in afghanistan (or pakistan for that matter) opposed to this I disagree due to the lack of any evidence to support that claim - if thats actually what your saying.
    Well, from the article you posted:
    The fate of Sayed Pervez Kambaksh has led to domestic and international protests...
    It's also worth noting that Mr. Kambaksh may indeed be Muslim himself and, as I have already pointed out, the website he downloaded from was in Farsi and so most likely based in Iran, another Muslim country.

As for Pakistan, that's not relevant to this discussion, but I have a friend who writes for the Daily Times in Lahore and he's free to write as he sees fit - he's yet to be threatened with arrest.

This reminds me of something Bill Bailey came out with:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGA_ArKTIEI
    Jump to about 03:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

There are plenty of Muslims (many within Afghanistan) who have condemned the sentence passed down to Mr. Kambaksh.

Just a quick link to support the bolded text:
    From Independent.co.uk

Save Pervez! Global protests to save Afghan student from death sentence

Worldwide outrage over Afghan sentenced to death for reading article on women's rights. Join the Independent campaign now

By Kim Sengupta, Jerome Starkey in Kabul, Anne Penketh and Ben Russell
    Friday, 1 February 2008

Afghanistan's President, Hamid Karzai, has been inundated with appeals to save the life of Sayed Pervez Kambaksh, the student journalist sentenced to death after being accused of downloading an internet report on women's rights.

While international protests mounted over the affair, with the British Government saying it had already raised its concerns, hundreds of people marched through the capital, Kabul, demanding Mr Kambaksh's release.

Click here for the rest of the article

There have been protest in Afghanistan against this abhorrent decision. A lot of these people are no doubt Muslims themselves.

Advertisement