Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ownership transfer problem.

Options
  • 31-01-2008 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all.

I have a problem with the ownership papers of the car that I bought. The situation looks like that. 3 months ago I bought a car from a guy that I was working with payed the money filled the papers, the guy was suppose to send the papers the next day to motor tax office (we didn't signed any other documents as we knew each other for a year). However the papers got lost on the way to the motor tax office and now the guy doesn't want to contact them about the new copy. The worst thing is that he moved to Cork now and it looks like he change his phone number as well.

So now I have no way to contact him about that. I know that it was stupid that I didn't make him sign a document that he sold me the car but I knew the guy and I thought I can trust him, we were working together for a long time.

Now the car is just standing at my drive way, I contacted the motor tax office and it's still registered to him. Is there anyway to transfer the ownership of that car to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think you can use an old-style transfer of ownership form, available from any Garda station. You will have to have someone forge his signature, though. You can then apply for a replacement VLC, I think the fee is €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,933 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well if you speed or crash it, or any parking tickets. They all go directly to him. So i dont know what he is reluctant about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

The guy is obviously a bit dim. As another poster says, enough parking / speeding fines in the post and he'll be sorry he didn't bother his arse. To answer your specific question, it may be worth checking it out with a Garda friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ziewacz

Yeah I was thinking about parking it next to the spire but..... I still want to use this car as mine. :)

So I gues no one else has any ideas what to do in this situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ziewacz wrote: »
    So I gues no one else has any ideas what to do in this situation?
    I answered your question four minutes after you asked it.;)

Well yes and thank you for that.... but "forging" his signature is not really what I want to do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

He clearly wants nothing to do with the car as he has broken all contact with you. They do not have hand writing experts down in Shannon working full time analysing all the applications.
    If you do forge the signature what harm is it, you have paid for the vehicle. If the original owner isn't banging down your door claiming you stole it then I don't think they'd be too bothered anyway.
    I don't see any other way out of it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 thefox84

have to admit I would forge his signature too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Bring a letter stating what has happened complete with the transfer of Ownership form to a Commisioner of Oaths ( nearly said Oats there :D ) . Sign the form in his presence and post it all away.

This goes on all the time, no big deal !

Make sure you have the right form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement