Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nass Road Caught Speeding but...

Options
  • 31-01-2008 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I was caught doing 78km in a 60km zone. Is there a 60km zone on the nass road? 80 smackers and 2 penalty points!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

what part of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Count yourself lucky.. it used to be 50km/h

Was it the bit between the M50 junction and Woodies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brum

not sure what part of the road... speed camera.

also, from what ive read online, all speeding fines are 80yoyo fines and 2 penalty points. The severity of the offence doesnt increase the fine or the points as was the case in the past.

Is there a part of the nass rd a 60km zone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

you can ask for the location...

sounds like the gatso van to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭AngelinaJolie

Yes I got caught for speeding there and I know another girl that did as well. Cops shooting fish in a barrel if you ask me. The only reason I speeded up was because a Passat braked hard in front of me (so must have seen the cops) so I overtook him, not wanting to be behind a messer.. silly me. Maybe if cops moved down the road a bit to the M50 at the Red Cow where muppets are doing 80 to 100km on uneven surfaces with plant machinery exiting works... but then again that would be a bit like too much hard work....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

brum wrote: »
    also, from what ive read online, all speeding fines are 80yoyo fines and 2 penalty points. The severity of the offence doesnt increase the fine or the points as was the case in the past.
    Really? I find it hard to imagine that being clocked at 200km/h would only result in 2 points/€80. Seems fairly good value to me.;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Really? I find it hard to imagine that being clocked at 200km/h would only result in 2 points/€80. Seems fairly good value to me.;)

thats dangerous driving on top of speeding!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yes, anywhere on the dublin side of the m50 is 60, and for a few hundred meters the other side of it too. I think there's some spots down near Naas where they're doing roads works again aswell (they might be gone again now, it's a month or two since I was down that way).

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

It must be the part of the Naas Road before the Red Cow (i.e. the side nearest to the city centre). The Gardai are notorious for hiding behind the bus stop outside Coca Cola or inside the gateway of Harris Trucks place.

My sympathies go to you.
    I was caught about 3 years ago on the N4 outside Liffey Valley and the Deadmans Inn. At the time there were road works going on and the speed signs were obscured a bit. I thought to myself, "Dual Carraigeway, surely 80km/h". At the time it was in fact only 60 km/h. They caught me in March, issued the fine and penalty points in June and by August or September they had put the speed limit up to 80km/h. Nothing I could do as I was breaking the law at the time.
    As a side note, it took them three months to issue the fine/penalty points letter. I sent the letter back with incorrect payment details. Ah sure, it only took them 2 days to get back to me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

brum wrote: »
    thats dangerous driving on top of speeding!
    Assuming there were no other cars visible in the picture, I wonder how they could charge one with dangerous driving?

• Advertisement

That sucks Silent Partner. It just goes to show that speed limits on most roads have NOTHING to do with safety.
    Take the old N4 (after kilcock). Was safe to do 60mph for years, safe to do 100kph after the change.. but as soon as the toll road opens.. its now 80kph because it is no longer a national road. Nothing to do with safety.. in fact its safer now as there is less traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Saruman wrote: »
    That sucks Silent Partner. It just goes to show that speed limits on most roads have NOTHING to do with safety.
    Take the old N4 (after kilcock). Was safe to do 60mph for years, safe to do 100kph after the change.. but as soon as the toll road opens.. its now 80kph because it is no longer a national road. Nothing to do with safety.. in fact its safer now as there is less traffic.

Exact same from Watergrasshill to Fermoy.

60MPH then 100KPH now 80KPH as there is a tolled motorway next to it M8

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

got caught on the Nass road too one Saturday morning at 9am..Got caught earlier that week in Gorey also with a gatso van...Two fines arrived the same day in the post..I think ive learned my lesson since!

Assuming there were no other cars visible in the picture, I wonder how they could charge one with dangerous driving?

Ah hello... dangerous driving is driving at 120km in a 60km!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

definitely has to be on the east side of the Newlands Cross....I think from the cross to the motorway it is all 100kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I think you might be wrong on the N4 spped limit. I moved to Kinnegad about 5 years ago and travel that road every day, I an always remember it being at 50mph, now 80kpm. The spped their was reduced about 10 years ago, from 60, because of the large number of road death at the time. This is also why you are unable to pass for 5km.

No that is just between kilcock and enfield. Once you left enfield it was 100kph as far as just before clonard then as the road narrows it was 80kph. when you left Clonard it was 100kph as far as Kinnegad. then it was 80kph between Kinnegad and Rochfortbridge (no hard shoulder) And from Rochfortbridge (where i live) till Athlone and beyond (except through towns) it was 100kph.

For instance, the old N6 between Rochfortbridge and kilbeggan was 100kph all the way. Now the dual carriageway is there so that road, which is very wide and full hard shoulder is 80kph. In fact, that dual carriageway is motorway standard and should be 120kph.. i believe it will be when its done to athlone.

See where im going with this? nothing to do with safety

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

No that is just between kilcock and enfield. Once you left enfield it was 100kph as far as just before clonard then as the road narrows it was 80kph. when you left Clonard it was 100kph as far as Kinnegad. then it was 80kph between Kinnegad and Rochfortbridge (no hard shoulder) And from Rochfortbridge (where i live) till Athlone and beyond (except through towns) it was 100kph.

For instance, the old N6 between Rochfortbridge and kilbeggan was 100kph all the way. Now the dual carriageway is there so that road, which is very wide and full hard shoulder is 80kph. In fact, that dual carriageway is motorway standard and should be 120kph.. i believe it will be when its done to athlone.

See where im going with this? nothing to do with safety

I know where you are talking about now. There is only one reason for this, to encourage people to pay to use the motorway. I am sure you are the same as myself, only use the motorway when I get up late or want to catch a match on telly....

I know where you are talking about now. There is only one reason for this, to encourage people to pay to use the motorway. I am sure you are the same as myself, only use the motorway when I get up late or want to catch a match on telly....

I drive on the old road to get to work (unless running late). Going home im more likely to use the motorway if its after 6 when i leave Blanch.
    I always use the motorway heading home on a Friday as there is too much traffic.

I was using the motorway every day until i figured it would cost about 1200 a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It must be the part of the Naas Road before the Red Cow (i.e. the side nearest to the city centre). The Gardai are notorious for hiding behind the bus stop outside Coca Cola or inside the gateway of Harris Trucks place.
    :

Theres 2 sets of pedestrian lights between th ered cow and the Kylemore roa djunction that traffic has been know to sail through in the past. A couple of pedestrian were either killed or seriiosuly injured in the past on that road. That and the fact there are a few sets of traffic lights is the reason the speed limits are lower. Justified imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

got caught on the Nass road too one Saturday morning at 9am..Got caught earlier that week in Gorey also with a gatso van...Two fines arrived the same day in the post..I think ive learned my lesson since!

Interesting observation in favour of the 'shooting fish in a barrel' locations as the best way to slow down speeders. Catch as many as possible and they do admit they've learned a lesson.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pedestrians are always around. Also that defence wouldn't work because there may well be a garda inside the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Exact same from Watergrasshill to Fermoy.

60MPH then 100KPH now 80KPH as there is a tolled motorway next to it M8

i know the road. it was good enough to be a 100kmh zone until the motorway was opened. now its 80kmh and they are supposed to be camped out there a lot, typical :rolleyes:.

same on the commons road into blackpool. 100 to 60 then 50 (km) all downhill and theyre constantly at it there as well.

if you were so thick that you had to drive that slow on that road you should not be driving at all IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

One thing that is grinding my goat at the moment is the road works starting on the M50 from the M1 down to Finglas where theres a 60km/h limit. Fair enough. The problem is that there seems to be no road works from Finglas down to the Blanch exit, no barriers, cones etc and no sign to say the limit is back up to 120km/h. What is the bloody deal with this?

Also noticed that on the old N2, when you come from Joe Duffys if you are heading towards Ashbourne but swing off to the left via Coldwinters to get to Kilshane Cross, the speed limit has gone from 80 to 50km/h. Why? I see no reason for this. The road has never been quieter, its straight as an arrow, and its not as if the kids running all over the place. Seem a complete joke to me.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Also noticed that on the old N2, when you come from Joe Duffys if you are heading towards Ashbourne but swing off to the left via Coldwinters to get to Kilshane Cross, the speed limit has gone from 80 to 50km/h. Why? I see no reason for this. The road has never been quieter, its straight as an arrow, and its not as if the kids running all over the place. Seem a complete joke to me.

i do, tax collection. artificial speed limits are good for that :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    One thing that is grinding my goat at the moment is the road works starting on the M50 from the M1 down to Finglas where theres a 60km/h limit. Fair enough. The problem is that there seems to be no road works from Finglas down to the Blanch exit, no barriers, cones etc and no sign to say the limit is back up to 120km/h. What is the bloody deal with this?
    The last time I drove this (Wednesday) I recall not seeing any 60km/h signs either before or along the roadworks stretch. Are they up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

They sure are dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

yep, deffo sounds like you got caught outside Coca Cola (b4 Woodies), the Gatzo Guards are always there particularly on a Saturday morn.... I got done doing 68KM in that spot recently... can live with the €80 fine..... but first 2 peno points - am sick :mad:... just renewed my car insurance the other day - they didn't ask so I didn't tell - is that wrong (not morally!, but could it affect me if I ever need to claim??) I have never claimed in the 8 years I've been driving but would like to know just in case......:confused:

yes it could actually if you try to claim but 2 points will not generally cause your insurance to go up so it would be worth it to go back and inform them.

say that you forgot to mention it or something ;)

if you have a bash thats just the technicality they need to not cover you so its not worth it IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

eh....... ordinarily I would do, but I got another one in the post today (I was tailgating a slow driver last Sunday), again on the Naas Rd, the Garda said I committe 2 offences - the other was 'crossing hatched lines' - genuinely didn't know I did the second thing. The tailgating was wrong but I was sooo frustrated, old lady in front doing 30 and braking constantly, so I sped up, began to overtake (which was when I crossed the hatched line as it was just coming off an on-ramp) and the guards happened to already be on the road at the exact same time I joined it and overtook the car :mad:, they pulled me in and the rest is history... I'm horrified and feel like a bad driver but i'm not - never had a blip on my record or succumed to road rage and now potentially 4 point in a couple of months (I'm expecting the other fine tomorrow - I think they send them seperately on purpose just to play with ya!):eek:

Advertisement