Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who sang YNWA first?

• 30-01-2008 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

the one celtic fans sang before liverpool fans did???? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

it is also thue that UNITED fans sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" before the Liverpool fans did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Tauren wrote: »
    it is also thue that UNITED fans sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" before the Liverpool fans did.

Is it really?

Melion wrote: »
    Is it really?

Yep, was sang on the terraces at Old Trafford following the Munich disaster in remembrance of the people that were lost. It was mid-60's when it became a popular song at Liverpool as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

maybe its the "youll never get a job" version....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ronaldos free kick was sensational. brilliant free kick.

and Tauren, I dont want to get into an argument about YNWA, but suffice to say, you are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Actually YNWA was never exclusive to one club - many clubs around the country sang it at matches. But when that band from Liverpool sand it (Jerry and the something or others) it became affiliated with them, and theyre really the only ones who sing it nowadays.

actually, thats bollox.

YNWA originally featured in a musical called Carousel in the forties.

it was then covered by the following artists:

Frank Sinatra (1945)
    Judy Garland (1945)
    Mario Lanza (1950)
    Roy Hamilton (1954)
    Claramae Turner on the Carousel film soundtrack (1956)
    Nina Simone (1959)
    Mahalia Jackson (1961)
    Doris Day (on the album of the same name) (1962)

Before it became a hit in England when Gerry and the Pacemakers did it in 1963.

Now sorry to be annoying- but which of the above was massively popular among the Utd fans in 1958 that they knew all the words to the song and were able to belt it out randomly 5 years before it became massive among the masses in England??

Or maybe Utd fans at that time had such a love for musical theatre that they remembered a song from a musical that was more than ten years old and spontaneously sang it one day on the terraces?

the TRUTH of the matter is that liverpool fans always sang the songs that were in the charts in the Kop when they were waiting for a game to begin, see the following link for an example- http://youtube.com/watch?v=L7jcB_v5inc

They did the same with YNWA when it was realeased by Gerry and the Pacemakers and it stuck due to the message in the lyrics.

It was then copied by other clubs around the world. But make no mistake, we were the original. this famous old woman Tauren? she is a liar, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

"Manchester United supporter Jane Hardwick asserted in 2004 that she, together with friends from the New Mills Operatic Society, decided to sing the song at "one of the games" following the Munich Air Disaster as her own personal tribute, before spontaneously being joined "by thousands of fans" around her. This predates Gerry Marsden's faster-paced cover version by five years"

I also think that questioning Nani is pretty damn stupid :eek: Anyone can see he has talent, his crossing is excellent, his corner taking is good, he has pace, hes intelligent (nice through ball for the goal) but sometimes he lacks some concentration. He needs time. Ronaldo needed time too (I suppose we should have gotten rid of him while he was inconsistant in his first year, eh?). Nani is only learning the language, still fitting in. He will be a top player.... We've already seen glimpses of what he can do... that unreal goal against Boro, and digging us out of a hole against Spurs at home when we were really struggling at the start of the season, he stepped up and did the business. Judge him in 4 years...the same amount of time it took Ronaldo to become a top player. Not now. Bloody hell.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Ronaldos free kick was sensational. brilliant free kick.

and Tauren, I dont want to get into an argument about YNWA, but suffice to say, you are wrong.

So what you are saying is that it is impossible for the United fans to have sang it in the 20 years between the song being written and sung, and it becoming a song regularly sung at Anfield. Impossible, even given the fact LOADS of clubs fans sang it before it became a liverpool song.

Suffice to say: YOU ARE WRONG.

So what you are saying is that it is impossible for the United fans to have sang it in the 20 years between the song being written and sung.

I'm sure its not impossible for thousands of fans to have burst out into a song from a musical more than 20 years old spontaneously one match, following their lead from a woman who starts the song, but, i find that extremely unlikely.
    Then for history to seemingly forget about this amazing incident until 40 odd years later? when an old woman claims that she sang if at OT first and the whole crowd joined in?
    remember, there isnt really a chorus to the song per say, so its a hard song to join in with spontaneously unless you know the words. the only real way they would know that is if they were fans of the song from the original musical (which would explain how the woman knew it) in 1945....13 years earlier.
    Impossible, even given the fact LOADS of clubs fans sang it before it became a liverpool song.

Who are these loads of clubs that sang it?
    Suffice to say: YOU ARE WRONG.

Afraid not.

• Advertisement

I'm sure its not impossible for thousands of fans to have burst out into a song from a musical more than 20 years old spontaneously one match, following their lead from a woman who starts the song, but, i find that extremely unlikely.
    Then for history to seemingly forget about this amazing incident until 40 odd years later? when an old woman claims that she sang if at OT first and the whole crowd joined in?
    remember, there isnt really a chorus to the song per say, so its a hard song to join in with spontaneously unless you know the words. the only real way they would know that is if they were fans of the song from the original musical (which would explain how the woman knew it) in 1945....13 years earlier.

Who are these loads of clubs that sang it?

Afraid not.

As I have said, I have been told this by well respected Unted fans who went to United games and grew up with United at the time of the MUnich disaster. They were there, and they say they sang it. I have no reason not to believe these people. I also saw the story on tv a couple of years ago.

So, 'Afraid so'.

Anywho, thought you didn't want to get into an argument about it.

As I have said, I have been told this by well respected Unted fans who went to United games and grew up with United at the time of the MUnich disaster. They were there, and they say they sang it. I have no reason not to believe these people. I also saw the story on tv a couple of years ago.

So, 'Afraid so'.

Anywho, thought you didn't want to get into an argument about it.

something about your username maybe,its like red to a bull, just cant resist the argument!;)

Look i'm not doubting that you were told it by some Utd fans, but it simply isnt true, just another way in which for them to try and get one over on their biggest rivals. it is liverpools song and a few daft old people wont change that, they cant re-write history, as much as they would like.

next time you're talking to these "well-respected" fans, ask them were they that big fans of musical theatre back in the day that they would memorise songs from old shows.

surely you can see yourself that it makes no sense that history would completely forget this miraculous event one day in OT when the stadium burst into a little known song from a musical?!

in fact **** it, i'm going to try and get the kop to sing "A Little Fall Of Rain" from Les Miserables on saturday!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

something about your username maybe,its like red to a bull, just cant resist the argument!;)

Look i'm not doubting that you were told it by some Utd fans, but it simply isnt true, just another way in which for them to try and get one over on their biggest rivals. it is liverpools song and a few daft old people wont change that, they cant re-write history, as much as they would like.

next time you're talking to these "well-respected" fans, ask them were they that big fans of musical theatre back in the day that they would memorise songs from old shows.

surely you can see yourself that it makes no sense that history would completely forget this miraculous event one day in OT when the stadium burst into a little known song from a musical?!

in fact **** it, i'm going to try and get the kop to sing "A Little Fall Of Rain" from Les Miserables on saturday!:D

Remember , We are talking about a time when 99% of home relied on radio's for entertainment and Saturday nights out where sing a longs of all the latest music hits (STAGE/RECORDS) in the local working men's clubs. So the fact that thousands of people knew the words to a stage or record cannot be discounted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Its a crap song anyway. Does it matter who sang it first?

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Remember , We are talking about a time when 99% of home relied on radio's for entertainment and Saturday nights out where sing a longs of all the latest music hits (STAGE/RECORDS) in the local working men's clubs. So the fact that thousands of people knew the words to a stage or record cannot be discounted.

This book claims United fans sang it in the aftermath of the Munich disaster.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celtic-United-Glasgow-Manchester-Football/dp/1845962761/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1201777813&sr=8-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

listen lads when it becomes such an integral part of the club that its on your crest you can come back to us then. till then who cares who sung it first it is our song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Archimedes wrote: »
    and theyre really the only ones who sing it nowadays.

them and Celtic.

Its as much associated with the Celts as Liverpool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

and if its in a book then it MUST be true.
    books don't lie. ever.

pull the pants up and stop helicoptering

Ajax fans sing it and have done since the late 60's/early 70's. The things u learn on the museum tour of the ArenA! They played it over the PA when I was at the Tournament 2 years ago (with United fans in the ArenA it went down like a lead baloon!! :D Also AFIK Celtic were the first to sing it with any regularity and its as much their song as it is Liverpools. Never really cared too much for it except when the Irish fans sang it when we lost that Playoff to Belgium at Anfield.

EDIT: I read that about 2 years ago about United fans singing it. Fact is who cares? Its a song, big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I sincerely doubt a song from a relatively obscure Rogers and Hammerstein musical was sung to any great extent by football fans. Its as likely as modern fans breaking into a spot of Evita or Les Miserables. It was only really with the popularity stemming from the Pacemakers version that the song spread to the terraces (primarily at Anfield) and became an anthem of sorts.

Aren't ManYoo fans happy enough with "United Road"? That's their anthem. I know it inspires the shít out of me.

• Advertisement

Never really cared too much for it except when the Irish fans sang it when we lost that Playoff to Belgium at Anfield.

When did we play Belgium at Anfield? Holland you mean?

Call_me_al wrote: »
    When did we play Belgium at Anfield? Holland you mean?

Perhaps. My memory is hazy. We played both in respective tournament qualifiesrs. Where'd we play Belgium?!

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Aren't ManYoo fans happy enough with "United Road"? That's their anthem. I know it inspires the shít out of me.

Its a very inspiring song.

Its a very inspiring song.
    Very very.

Perhaps. My memory is hazy. We played both in respective tournament qualifiesrs. Where'd we play Belgium?!

The google claims we havent played belgium. we played holland in the euro 96 playoffs in anfield and lost 2-0 ifirc, remember Kluivert scoring.

EDIT: Google is wrong we played em for the France 98 qualifiers, but it was a 2 legged game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Does it really matter?

Your ma sang it first.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Does it really matter?

Your ma sang it first.

good contribution. :rolleyes:

Call_me_al wrote: »
    The google claims we havent played belgium. we played holland in the euro 96 playoffs in anfield and lost 2-0 ifirc, remember Kluivert scoring.

EDIT: Google is wrong we played em for the France 98 qualifiers, but it was a 2 legged game.
    There ya go. Now thatu mention Kluivert scorin I remember it very specifically now!

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Very very.

I sense sarcasm!:eek::eek:

It actually is very good when the whole of OT sing it but thats a rarity lately with more and more dry sh*tes getting tickets and frowning upon singalongs (happening at a lot of clubs and especially clubs with bigger grounds).

On a sidenote while we're on the topic of fasns, loved it last night...Pompey fans started singing seemingly the only song they have, "Who are ya, who are ya" (which I think they sing for 90 straight minutes the drunken louts!) to which United fans started singin "Championay, Championay, oh ay oh ay oh ay". Pompey fans then stopped singing!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hahahahaha

club song of Pompey - "WHO ARE YA!!"
    either that or the classic that is "LETS BE F**KIN HAVIN' YA!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

yeah, the club song of Pompey is 'Who are ya' alright. Not 'Play up Pompey' or the other hordes of songs that the supporters are known for their enthusiastic singing. Remember the cup game at home to Arsenal a few years back and they were getting hammered, and they didnt stop singing, even when Arsenal scored, there was a little lull and the singing was as noisy as ever. Even the likes of Henry said he never played in an atmosphere like it.

hanton12 wrote: »
    yeah, the club song of Pompey is 'Who are ya' alright. Not 'Play up Pompey' or the other hordes of songs that the supporters are known for their enthusiastic singing.Remember the cup game at home to Arsenal a few years back and they were getting hammered, and they didnt stop singing, even when Arsenal scored, there was a little lull and the singing was as noisy as ever. Even the likes of Henry said he never played in an atmosphere like it.

They sang "Who are ya" for 90 minutes straight last season when we played them. It was a 5.15 kick off and I think the pubs had done great business that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

it cant really be proven who sang it first, but its a pool song now, thats all that matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

shouldnt Liverpool fans be more morried about things like who will actually own the club in a years time and european football than this song???:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

shouldnt Liverpool fans be more morried about things like who will actually own the club in a years time and european football than this song???:)

rofl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Who sang YNWA first? Probably this fellow.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Raitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Its a crap song anyway. Does it matter who sang it first?

LOL :D

Most Man U chants could be sang for the Ingerland squad tbh. IIRC Wikipedia lists the clubs who reg sing YNWA.

I cant be arsed looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

As I have said, I have been told this by well respected Unted fans who went to United games and grew up with United at the time of the MUnich disaster.

Are these the same mates that go out drinking in Manchester with Cristiano?

I'd say you're better connected than Sir Bobby!

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Are these the same mates that go out drinking in Manchester with Cristiano?

I'd say you're better connected than Sir Bobby!

No, different group. Hell, one of them lives in Texas now so he doesn't get out in manchester for drinks that often! And neither would be firends of Ronaldo's, just met him in clubs a few times and shared some drinks. No pictures though, cause Ronaldo is not allowed have his picture taken in clubs (well, he is not allowed to agree to it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Q. Who sang YNWA first?
    Ans - United fans sang it on the terraces before liverpool fans did (following the munich tragedy).

Q. Who sings YNWA nowadays with most passion?.
    Ans - Celtic fan's sing it better and more passionately than anyone else.

Q. Are Celtic and Liverpool the only c;lubs that sing YNWA?
    Ans - Lots of club's fans sing it all over the world.

Q. Which club does YNWA mean most to?
    4. Liverpool fans sing it regularly and have it on the club badge.

Look i'm not doubting that you were told it by some Utd fans, but it simply isnt true, just another way in which for them to try and get one over on their biggest rivals.

I have a feeling that Utd fans wouldnt bother with something so trivial to 'get one over' on their rivals given the current league table/recent results between the 2 etc ;)

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    it cant really be proven who sang it first, but its a pool song now, thats all that matters

As a Celtic fan I would strongly disagree.

OhNoYouDidnt, disagree all ya want, but its our tune ;)

Utd fans: so wat ye are saying is that, in 1958, 5 years before it was a popular song in England, one day the terraces at OT randomly broke out into a little known tune from a musical that was around in 1945? and everyone knew the words? hilarious.

Utd fans: so wat ye are saying is that, in 1958, 5 years before it was a popular song in England, one day the terraces at OT randomly broke out into a little known tune from a musical that was around in 1945? and everyone knew the words? hilarious.
    Maybe they liked the Sinatra version.

Why does it bother you so much?

Our? Are you from Wirral?

Celtic sang it first. Celtic sing it at every game. But it really belongs to Liverpool.

Glad you cleared that up.

Tauren, you are making me laugh out loud literally. sorry mate but you're clutching at straws.

Archimedes-i care because YNWA is part of Liverpool history and is one of the things that makes our club special imo, Utd fans trying to rape that heritage claiming they sang it first pisses me off. sad but true.

OhNoYouDidnt: Celtic sang it first? really? anything to back that up? or was the love for musicals in Glasgow just so unbelievable in the 50's that they often belted out the classics and little known dittys?

And Liverpool dont sing it at every game?

Fair enough, but its nothing got to do with getting one over on Liverpool. Does it not make you prouder that even though United may have sang it first, or any other team for that matter, that you are the only team (in England) to carry that tradition through so popularly today?

I cant deal in hypothetical situations that are that out there. There is no way that Utd sang it first. Despite wat Tauren might want say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It was played 1st by Man Utd after Munich happened they then forgot about it.

Gerry and the Pacemakers then released the song in the charts and from there it was picked up by Liverpool fans. Celtic did sing it after Liverpool but it was not sung often in the stands until after Hillsbrough when Celtic were the first team to play Liverpool

deary me. Some evidence to back up these claims would be great.

Here's a video from 1965 (two years after the Pacemakers hit). The commentator refers to the song as Liverpool's signature tune - suggesting it hadn't merely begun that year. If there is any evidence to show prior singing of the song anywhere else then horse it up or quieten down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement