Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose - UTV Vs Eircom

Options
  • 31-01-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am currently with UTV for my phone and as its only myself and my wife our phone bill is usually around €30 per month inc.

line rental.

Living in Celbridge, I'm getting broadband into the house using the landline and have narrowed my choice to either Eircom or UTV.

Eircom 2MB

* UNLIMITED local and national calls anytime*
    * LINE rental included
    * FREE wireless modem
    * FREE exclusive online access to setanta sports
    * FREE 1GB online storage
    * Connection charge of €29.99

20 GB download / unlimited upload

TOTAL = €61

UTV
    BROADBAND MONTHLY PAYMENTS

FREE for the first 3 months then €20.99
    LINE RENTAL & ANYTIME €32.35 - includes unlimited local and national calls Anytime (€6.99) and line rental (€25.36)

TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENTS €32.35 per month for the first 3 months then €53.34 thereafter
    SPEED Up to 2Mbps2
    USAGE 12GB download
    UNLIMITED USAGE UNLIMTED usage FREE for first 3 months (€5.99 per month thereafter)
    CONNECTION FREE CONNECTION
    MODEM FREE USB/Ethernet ADSL Router
    WIRELESS ROUTER
    Wireless Router
    The Voyager 2110 is a great wireless router – it has x1 USB port and x4 Ethernet ports. €39.99 upgrade fee.
    €39.99 upgrade available during signup

Sorry a bit messy, basically UTV is €54 for:

2mb
    12GB Download
    UNLIMITED local and national calls anytime
    Line rental included
    No connection charge
    Wireless router is €40 extra
    You can pay an extra €5.99 FOR Unlimited per month with means you could get 2MB unlimited for €60.

Obviously the UTV package looks better but some of my work colleagues have eircom in the same area and they never have any issues. I have read some posts here about DNS issues with UTV etc. I really just want a hassle free broadband experience :)

I understand UTV have screwed several people before for exceeding their dowload limit, although this would not matter if I go unlimited. I hear Eircom aren't too strict on their bandwidth limits.

I will be using the connection nightly for video conferencing with possible VOIP later on and maybe some torrents :) Should I go unlimited for this stuff, would I use up a lot of bandwith using video?

The reason I'm skeptical about Eircom is that I hate their monopoly in this country and hate to think I'm helping them continue to grow! Don't know anyone using UTV in Celbridge though.

What is UTV's customer service/tech support like?

No idea about contention ratios for UTV or Eircom or contracts lenghts, can anyone help?

ANY comments and feedback appreciated.

~livEwirE~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Just heard on the radio that Eircom are increasing speeds on the broadband services and bringing out new packages...might wait to see the new packages...

Advertisement