Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contract termination

Options
  • 31-01-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi, I ordered satellite broadband from a company in November/December that is based in europe. It took 2 months from when I ordered it for them to install the satellite. They sent out the equipment beforehand but during the installation the modem on part of the equipment failed to connect and therefore wouldn't work. Also I paid for a month in advance. I want to terminate the contract as I want to sign up to a more reliable and better source of broadband. Could their lack of commitment to their service to me allow for me to cancel the contract? Also can I request a refund from them - installation fee, equipment cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can request, but it might not get you anywhere. It'll depend on the company and who you get through to. Since they're not Ireland based (I assume) then Small Claims is probably out of the question too.

If you paid by credit card, you could contact them about a charge back as you've paid for something that doesn't work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

would it be safe to assume this is Irish broadband? if so I was able to cancel my contract with them without issue after 2 months due to very poor broadband speeds for my area in Dublin.

they were effective in cancelling the broadband and direct debit for my bank account (though i still recieve invoices via email every month ????????? )

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

I prob shouldnt mention any names but it is skydsl. I think they have a branch in dublin...dont know where but it is mainly run from europe, I think berlin which is where the equipment was sent from. Reasons why I want to terminate the contract is:
    1. Service has taken 2 months before it was attempted to set it up
    2. Faulty Equipment (modem is not connecting)
    3. Im not sure yet but I think I will be charged for the months that I was not connected.
    4. Better quality service is now available from eircom which I want to go for now.

It is a 24month contract and the main dealings as far as I know is coming from berlin. Im not sure of some of the details, its my brother who is handling this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dysman

I had a subscription with SkyDSL but I went with a monthly renewal rather than a long term contract. I didn't order any equipment but the setup disks and codes were delayed by about two weeks. I cancelled the subscription by Email mid Jan and I got the autoreply to say my Email was recieved, I got the Email notification from SkyDSL that the subscription was canceled the day after that.

As per the terms and conditions I had to give one months notice so officially the subscription will end mid Feb.

I have a similar download accelerator setup with another vendor and so far it works fine.

Advertisement