Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

30k Motorway miles per year, 1.4 Diesel or 2.0 Diesel.

Options
  • 31-01-2008 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Yes that 30k miles per year.

1.4 D4D Corrolla would be great for MPG, but I dont think it would last that sort of driving.

2.0 Ford Mondeo would probably eat that mileage ok, but wouldnt be great on MPG compared to above.

Current car 2003 Opel Astra 1.2, currenly doing 500-600 miles a week.

1.7 Astra CDTI??

Ford Focus and Madza 3 too expensive at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The bigger engine will take it its stride, but its a ford and i realy dont rate ford diesels. starters, clutches and flywheels give trouble and its nearly E1800 to get that done in the one go..
    Toyota, well kinda bullet proof, for that mileage, the 1.9 vag lump is a good bet. your choice is skoda, seat or vw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

slideways wrote: »
    The bigger engine will take it its stride, but its a ford and i realy dont rate ford diesels. starters, clutches and flywheels give trouble and its nearly E1800 to get that done in the one go..
    Toyota, well kinda bullet proof, for that mileage, the 1.9 vag lump is a good bet. your choice is skoda, seat or vw

Have two ford diesel that have done 200k and 85k without any issues. Have a Avensis diesel that has done 115k and needed 3x clutches + 2 flywheels... so I disagree with above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I'll probably get slammed for this but I wouldn't buy a 2.0L Ford Mondeo. I worked for a company that ran them and they kept on breaking down due to the fuel system. Seems that they don't like dirty diesel or Biodiesel at all. Its a problem because a lot of companys (Tesco) mix biodiesel into their regular stuff. I'd imagine a toyota diesel would be far more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ferris wrote: »
    Seems that they don't like dirty diesel or Biodiesel at all.

All modern diesels are the same in this regard. In fact both the Avensis and Mondeo have very similar fuel systems (both are manufacturered by Delphi).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I would be firmly in the vw camp, on number 8 at this stage and have ever evr even had to take the rocker cover let alonethe head off one. No mechanic likes to work on his own car, the garage where i worked is a testimate to vag, 90% of the cars in the employee lot were of this ilk.
    Biodiesel will play puck with any diesel system..
    Cant stnd fords, had one as a coompany car and it drove me potty, guess i was spoiled with my own motor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

kluivert wrote: »
    Yes that 30k miles per year.

1.4 D4D Corrolla would be great for MPG, but I dont think it would last that sort of driving.

2.0 Ford Mondeo would probably eat that mileage ok, but wouldnt be great on MPG compared to above.

Current car 2003 Opel Astra 1.2, currenly doing 500-600 miles a week.

1.7 Astra CDTI??

Ford Focus and Madza 3 too expensive at the moment.

1.3 CDTi astra? I ran a 3 door one for 2 years and got ~800-850KM per tank each time. 90bhp & 6 speed gearbox. Roughly €48-50 to fill up... In my opinion a nicer car than the Corrolla

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

1.3 CDTi astra?

I'll second that, especially since OP is an Opel fan :)

The 1.3 multijet will have no problem doing high motorway mileages! As I told you previously, these will be a lot cheaper to buy new after 01/07/08!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Astra is a way nicer car to be in than the Corolla, and is meant to be a better car to drive as well, so unquestionably the Astra for me. I don't know about the previous generation Corolla but I was in the current one as a taxi ride and that 1.4 D-4D is sluggish in that car.

Plus that 1248cc Fiat diesel is meant to be surprisingly reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thanks lads, she's driving me mad over what car to get at this stage.

Am more concerned about whether or not a small engine can stand up to that sort of driving.

Obviously a bigger engine will take motorway driving in its stride as pointed out earlier.

Budget is still around 15-16k.

Obviously a bigger engine will take motorway driving in its stride

Common misconception. Small modern diesels like the 1.3JTD are as well capable for motorway driving (or any driving really). There's more torque in a 1.3JTD Astra than there is in a 2.0l petrol Toyota Avensis (both brand new). Torque is what you need for overtaking. Obviously bigger cars are generally more comfortable, more stable etc. But that's a discussion for another day. We're talking engines here

Will you go and bloody drive one - you'll know what I mean then! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

unkel wrote: »

LOL - Am not sure about high torque engines, they dont appear to be lasting longer than there lower torque counter parts.

OK, maybe thinking too much about this.

But if you put the two engines side by side on a rolling door, at a constant speed of 70mph or 120kmph which would last longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

LOL
    But if you put the two engines side by side on a rolling door, at a constant speed of 70mph or 120kmph which would last longer.

Probably the Japanese one...

Toyota 1.4 D4D is fine on motorways but lacks real overtaking punch on A roads at speeds around 100 kmh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

unkel wrote: »
    Common misconception. Small modern diesels like the 1.3JTD are as well capable for motorway driving (or any driving really). There's more torque in a 1.3JTD Astra than there is in a 2.0l petrol Toyota Avensis (both brand new). Torque is what you need for overtaking. Obviously bigger cars are generally more comfortable, more stable etc. But that's a discussion for another day. We're talking engines here

Are you trying to tell the OP that a 1.3 diesel is faster in the real world than a 2.0 petrol:D? Power is actually the amount of torque per second an engine can produce.

According to Opel's own website(download the pdf file), the Astra diesel is a shade slower than the 1.6 petrol in the real world(48-80 in 4th 8.6 seconds for the 1.3 CDTi, 8.4 for the 1.6 petrol), though comfortably better than the 1.4 petrol(9.4 from 48-80 in 4th). 1.6 petrol performance and 58.9 mpg average fuel consumption is a very good idea though;).(don't forget about the new VRT rules, 16% VRT and €150 road tax for a brand new diesel Astra if bought in July(and the estimated pricelists can be found in the VRT sticky).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All of these small diesel engined cars are well capable of doing 30k miles a year.

I was doing that kind of mileage up to recently though it was a mixture of carriage way and B roads. Not only is choosing the right car with the right engine but also choosing what is comfortable to drive and what is comfortable to sit in for 30k miles a year. Nothing worse than doing 30k miles in a car with an uncomfortable ride, uncomfortable driving position and uncomfortable seats. The car is basically going to be your office so it is important to take all these factors into consideration.

Also since the OP is talking about 30k a year on motorways then he should be looking at a bigger engined car not just for durability but also for a more relaxing drive. In this case a small diesel engine will need to be worked harder at constant motorway cruising speed. A larger diesel engined car like a 2.0 litre with plenty of torque will comfortably cruise at motorway speed.

Another thing the OP should also consider is getting a car with cruise control. It can make a world of difference in my opinion and I regret never having it back then.

My recommendation would probably be the Skoda Superb TDi 130bhp but then again it is probably more a pipe and slippers car for the more mature driver. :) They are a mighty comfy barge though and within budget.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 *Andy*

If your goin to go for a 1.4tdi get a polo

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=904800

Great cars and really cheap to run too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Id have to go with bazz on this - doing alot of mileage maybe you should be looking at most comfortable cruiser rather than just focusing on economy.

E92 wrote: »
    the Astra diesel is a shade slower than the 1.6 petrol in the real world(48-80 in 4th 8.6 seconds for the 1.3 CDTi, 8.4 for the 1.6 petrol)

They're missing the point entirely! Nobody is interested in 48-80km/h as it is meaningless. And why would you have to stick to 1 gear?

I'd like to see real world figures for Joe Bloggs doing 80-120km/h (overtake on national road) in any gear he chooses. I wouldn't be suprised if the 1.3 diesel could stay in 5th and do it quicker than the 1.6 petrol that would be forced to shift down, perhaps even to 3rd, losing time in the process.

But I agree with bazz, it it was me, I'd choose a large, stable and comfortable car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

407 1.6 hdi

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I do most of my driving on N/M-roads and would recommend the current Passat if you could get one within your budget.

I've the 2.0L TDI 140Bhp DSG Auto variant, and as already pointed out, when you're doing 20k+ a year in a car it really does become more of an office than a mode of transport.

Mine comes with cruise control and the extra 0.1L makes all the difference over the 2002 1.9L 130Bhp Auto version I previously had. As well as giving about 1100km to a full tank, the ride is a lot better than the previous version, and overtaking at speed is a breeze because of the amount of torque she has.

Don't pay any attention to the "Autos are slow and drink fuel" line either. Neither are true these days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ooohh ...old thread resurrected

closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement