Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid Moments of 2008!

• 31-01-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

Ok, I was in the kitchen just now, peeling a banana. My intent was to extract this rich, creamy yellowness from it's snug cocoon entirely, before consuming it in delight. My hands shook as I tugged gently on the skin, section by section, like undressing a beautiful woman. You see, I had had no breakfast, and this was to be my prize, my trophy for the 4 and a half hours of work I had gotten through so far. I pressed on, in anticipation, and at last I was almost done! I ripped the last piece of skin from the end of the banana like a ferocious tiger-man, literally foaming at the mouth. This was going to be like yellow sex! And then I threw the banana in the bin.

Doh! Wrong bit in the bin dammit!

Oh well, there were more bananas! But I thought I'd share that little mishap with you, and then thought "Why not evolve it a little?" Let's start a thread to document our finer points of idiocy throughout the year, with a post a day, or whenever you do something mind-numbingly stupid! Share, friends...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I came into work this morning. As it turns out that was a pretty stupid decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Mirror wrote: »
    Ok, I was in the kitchen just now, peeling a banana. My intent was to extract this rich, creamy yellowness from it's snug cocoon entirely, before consuming it in delight. My hands shook as I tugged gently on the skin, section by section, like undressing a beautiful woman. You see, I had had no breakfast, and this was to be my prize, my trophy for the 4 and a half hours of work I had gotten through so far. I pressed on, in anticipation, and at last I was almost done! I ripped the last piece of skin from the end of the banana like a ferocious tiger-man, literally foaming at the mouth. This was going to be like yellow sex! And then I threw the banana in the bin.

Doh! Wrong bit in the bin dammit!

Oh well, there were more bananas! But I thought I'd share that little mishap with you, and then thought "Why not evolve it a little?" Let's start a thread to document are finer points of idiocy throughout the year, with a post a day, or whenever you do something mind-numbingly stupid! Share, friends...

Joo fool!

I decided to add 47 minutes to my journey by going through Phibsboro this morning. Damnit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I also had one of those mornings where you convince yourself you're going to stay in bed and sleep in after your alarm wakes you, and you're so determined, but then you bottle out and not only are you going to work but you've made yourself late for work as well! Hate that shít...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I also had one of those mornings where you convince yourself you're going to stay in bed and sleep in after your alarm wakes you, and you're so determined, but then you bottle out and not only are you going to work but you've made yourself late for work as well! Hate that shít...

Oh so many times......

So many times have I thrown out the bar of chocolate instead of the wrapper etc. I think there is something wrong I do it so often. I do it at work too. I keep the envelopes but shred the letters.

Nothing just yet, but there probably will be. I'll keep you updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Tuesday morning I wanted an extra 10 minutes in bed when my alarm went off, so fumbled around, half asleep in the dark trying to reset the clock.
    Next thing, I opened my eyes to see that I was rather late. Cue quick scramble, getting dressed on the stairs. I turned the key in the ignition and as I looked at the clock in the car, I then realized that I'd actually changed the bed side clock as opposed to the alarm, and set it one hour fast. I ended up an hour early for work, sitting in my car outside the office. There was nothing even open at that hour for me to go get a coffee.
    Turns out I didnt even get the extra ten minutes, I must have opened my eyes immediately after closing them again.
    Doh!

I also stabbed myself gently in the nuts with my car key later that day when I slipped getting out of the car when I finally got home again. Damn you mossy growths in my front garden!!

MikeySligo wrote:
    Oh so many times......

So many times have I thrown out the bar of chocolate instead of the wrapper etc. I think there is something wrong I do it so often. I do it at work too. I keep the envelopes but shred the letters.

lulz, I find this happens very rarely to me, but then I don't often eat chocolate bars or bananas!

One thing I do quite often is drink tea. And many times I'll boil the kettle, then when it's ready I'll open the cupboard right above it to get a cup, put the cup down with the cupboard still open, pour the water in over the teabag and lift the kettle up to put back in the cupboard before I close it...or the milk sometimes instead. And once I nearly put the cup of tea back in the cupboard, that was rather idiotic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I threw my boxers and socks in the bog a few weeks ago... (lifting up lid and putting if down) somehow got it mixed up with the laundry basket just outside the door of the bathroom. My mind was just an a crazy autopilot mode and simple things got weird. Only clicked once I the lid closed. Very dumb sense of reality kicked in as I had to fish the wet socks out.
    Thankfully, I didn't take a dump in the basket...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I once threw my boarding pass in a bin in teh airport about fifteen minutes before I had to board the plane!

Still had my twix wrapper though!

Once, years ago, I got up very tired one morning for school, was running late so got ready in a hurry with the uniform and the breakfast and ran out the door. Now I must have gone all day without needing to go to the toilet because it wasn't until I got home and went to change out of my uniform that I realised I had neglected to take my jackie chans (those cotton pyjama trouser type things) off before putting on my school trousers! I must have been like a zombie all day not to notice that!!

So I shrugged and got straight in to bed! :D

• Advertisement

I once threw my boarding pass in a bin in teh airport about fifteen minutes before I had to board the plane!

Still had my twix wrapper though!
    Did they accept it? >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Did they accept it? >.<

Yes Seh,

You're flight to the Milky Way is awaiting.

/ends Mars references.
    //hangs head in shame

connundrum wrote: »
    Yes Seh,

You're flight to the Milky Way is awaiting.

/ends Mars references.
    //hangs head in shame

/reopens Mars references...

He probably caught his Flyte* alright

*http://www.chocablog.com/reviews/mars-flyte/

//grabs coat and flees to Galaxy far far away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 techyguy

' sorry luv .. I can't be your girl friend.. I would like us to be friends ... if you dont like me as your friend then dont text or call me'

was the text I received right at the night I was going to give a surprise to my 'girl friend' that I had bought tickets for the 'Spain' for both of us.

I was almost ready , dressed to see her and was about to leave the house and I received the text ...

Those tickets just left inside my emails..didnt even need to print them off.. I really was pissed off and heart broken ...
    I think that was the biggest piss take of 2008 for myself so far .. hope there is no more for me ..
    :confused:

techyguy wrote: »
    ' sorry luv .. I can't be your girl friend.. I would like us to be friends ... if you dont like me as your friend then dont text or call me'

was the text I received right at the night I was going to give a surprise to my 'girl friend' that I had bought tickets for the 'Spain' for both of us.

I was almost ready , dressed to see her and was about to leave the house and I received the text ...

Those tickets just left inside my emails..didnt even need to print them off.. I really was pissed off and heart broken ...
    I think that was the biggest piss take of 2008 for myself so far .. hope there is no more for me ..
    That's not stupid, that's just bad luck. Be stupid or leave. Now.

¬_¬

That's not stupid, that's just bad luck. Be stupid or leave. Now.

¬_¬

Mr. Mirror..

on my side it was bad luck but on girl's side it was stupid... we were going on along so nicely.. would you buy tickets for yourself and your girlfriend if you think there is infidelity or its not working between you two..?
    you didnt give it a bit of deep thinking..

Those tickets just left inside my emails..

I hope you booked from a legit website and not scammed...

Mr. Mirror..

on my side it was bad luck but on girl's side it was stupid... we were going on along so nicely.. would you buy tickets for yourself and your girlfriendif you think there is infidelity or its not working between you two..?

Na its pretty stupid if you cant see that your girlfriend is lamping somebody out of it behind your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

I did that exact thing this morning! Regretting it now, wish I was in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

'

'Spain'? Is that a euphemism for something else? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Was back in Ireland for the weekend and looked like Aer Lingus were going to be striking. Better buy a Ryanair flight says I, sure its only 50 euro...book it, grand, confirm, grand...What do you mean "Do you want a hotel for your stay in Dublin"...Oops..better spend another 50euro booking the flight in the correct direction.

Mr. Mirror..

on my side it was bad luck but on girl's side it was stupid... we were going on along so nicely.. would you buy tickets for yourself and your girlfriend if you think there is infidelity or its not working between you two..?
    Agree with alanmurphy83, the thread is about stupid things you did. I doubt your ex girlfriend see's it as stupid, if things were "going along nicely" she wouldn't have dumped your ass out on the kerb now, would she?

Apparently "you didnt give it a bit of deep thinking.." :rolleyes:

zuutroy wrote: »
    Was back in Ireland for the weekend and looked like Aer Lingus were going to be striking. Better buy a Ryanair flight says I, sure its only 50 euro...book it, grand, confirm, grand...What do you mean "Do you want a hotel for your stay in Dublin"...Oops..better spend another 50euro booking the flight in the correct direction.
    Classic :D

On that note, just back from flying literally around the world with my family. Dublin-Heathrow-Hong Kong-New Zealand-internal flight-internal flight-L.A.-Heathrow-Dublin.

Nearly 50 hours of flight time over a month, without a single delay or cancelleation, which is pretty impressive I would have thought. Until we get to Heathrow for the short hop home. And we can't board because my sister left her passport on the plane we just got off which subsequently left to continue on to New Zealand! Typical that the only trouble we had would be the last and shortest flight! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

When im coming in late, the alarm is usually on, so i put the key in the door and rush into the house to turn the alarm off as the beeping wakes everyone up, Then i close the door, put the alarm on. And only realise the next day that the key is still in the door! :o

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    When im coming in late, the alarm is usually on, so i put the key in the door and rush into the house to turn the alarm off as the beeping wakes everyone up, Then i close the door, put the alarm on. And only realise the next day that the key is still in the door! :o
    Well on the plus side, there's an alarm! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Well its more my dad at my neck about it "Someone could take that key and break in while were not here!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Was in the lift headin to my floor and there was an older woman and a youngish chick getting in, i had my headphones in and was headin to the first floor.The young girl pressed 2. So me being courteous as ever i removed one of my headphones and asked which floor to the old woman. I thought she said 5 so i pressed 5 and she gave me a look, and she went to press the button as i tried to redeem myself by pressing the correct floor so i had it timed to press the button she was going for so i pressed 4. Than the f*ckin face on her, like i'd bent a biscuit on her coffee table so i took out my headphones and she's still givin me this filthy and she presses 6. The poor ould one had to stop at nearly every floor to get to hers. As im gettin out of the lift, " ya f*ckin eejit" is all i heard as the doors closed.

Agree with alanmurphy83, the thread is about stupid things you did. I doubt your ex girlfriend see's it as stupid, if things were "going along nicely" she wouldn't have dumped your ass out on the kerb now, would she?

Apparently "you didnt give it a bit of deep thinking.." :rolleyes:

:-) Now I see why you couldn't eat you skinned off bananna.... Its just obvious that even that bannana wouldn't prefer to be your **** in your intestines.. no offense ...
    Stupid is Stupid no matter who does it but at least it was relevant to me..it happened to me so I put it down here .... I felt the same way as you felt when your bannana dumped your ass for the filth of a bin ....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I have a habit of getting up to do something then forgetting and then doing something that i forgot to do earlier.

Gets kinda annoying when you mean to put on the wash and you make yourself a cuppa tea instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

zuutroy wrote: »

Was just thinking to myself, man there are some dumb asses in here but I actually did something like this.

Booked a flight from Shannon instead of Knock, had to spend the night in a mates and get a lift to the airport :rolleyes:

:-) Now I see why you couldn't eat you skinned off bananna.... Its just obvious that even that bannana wouldn't prefer to be your **** in your intestines.. no offense ...
    Stupid is Stupid no matter who does it but at least it was relevant to me..it happened to me so I put it down here .... I felt the same way as you felt when your bannana dumped your ass for the filth of a bin ....:D
    Kindly twat off back to defending that touting website would you? Flame artist extraordinaire. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I was drunk in a pub in Galway last August and an "American" girl approached me looking lost and asked to borrow my "cell phone". I decided that it was fine to give her my phone as it was a cheap beat up piece of s**t and therefore unrobbable...... She robbed it.:( Still don't have all my numbers back.

Worst thing was I was so pissed that I only realised she hadn't given it back to me about an hour later!

Also I have been known on occasion to throw my mobile's in the bin.

Also I have been known on occasion to throw my mobiles in the bin.
    And the stupid award of the day goes to Susannahmia! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

And the stupid award of the day goes to Susannahmia! :D

:(:o Now I'm sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I've poured milk onto my dinner instead of into a glass at least twice :D

I often forget why I've gotten up and walked into a room as described by missingtime. My mother told me that you leave your thought behind when you move, and the best way to remember what you wanted to do, is to go back to where you thought of it. This really works!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭rimshott

When i went home over the christmas - myself and my sisters went out for a few pints down the local pub. I left my car keys at home - since I wouldn't need them to drive.
    It was only in the pub i realised i needed a key to get back into the house when i got home. D'oh.

Anyhow, 4 hours later we arrived home (thinking we were gonna have to wake the house up to get in) But by mother stuck an A3 piece of paper on the front door, it read in giant black marker: The key is under the mat.:eek:

Kindly twat off back to defending that touting website would you? Flame artist extraordinaire. :rolleyes:

A little bit of sense of humour .... thats all it needed to get over what I said ... I defended that website because I thought it was unfair to the guys ... and now I just tried to go with the flow and tried to show a bit of sense of humour but you took it to my ass ..

I smiled at it as my sense of humour allowed me to ... not knowing that you are actually still pissed off with your bananna....
    shuffle your fridge's shelves .. you might find some more there ...

Take it easy fella! ... just dont take it personal ... didnt mean to take a mick ..
    Get over it mate !!!! Smile and share smiles .... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead won't be making many additions to this thread in future months as he's pretty damn near flawless, however there was a horrible error made earlier on.

Whilst sending Tech Girl a saucy PM earlier on, Pighead made the mother of all boo boo's and send it to techyguy. The fcuker will most probably get turned on by said saucy email and respond in kind. Not the kind of saucy PM ping pong Pighead was hoping for. This could get messy.:(

Oh dear... tut tut tut

Booooooiiiiiiiiiii! *waves*

Pighead wrote: »
    Pighead won't be making many additions to this thread in future months as he's pretty damn near flawless, however there was a horrible error made earlier on.:(

Do you want me to find the link for the leap year thread.:cool:

• Advertisement

A little bit of sense of humour .... thats all it needed to get over what I said ... I defended that website because I thought it was unfair to the guys ... and now I just tried to go with the flow and tried to show a bit of sense of humour but you took it to my ass ..

I smiled at it as my sense of humour allowed me to ... not knowing that you are actually still pissed off with your bananna....
    shuffle your fridge's shelves .. you might find some more there ...

Take it easy fella! ... just dont take it personal ... didnt mean to take a mick ..
    Get over it mate !!!! Smile and share smiles .... :)
    And my initial response to your first post was merely sarcasm, but you didn't seem to appreciate my sense of humour, so rather than taking the thread out of context initially and then flaming afterwards, you could do as I asked, in a humourous manner and "get stupid" or go away. Anyways, this thread has seen more action than most, so here endeth the lesson!

Pighead won't be making many additions to this thread in future months as he's pretty damn near flawless, however there was a horrible error made earlier on.

Whilst sending Tech Girl a saucy PM earlier on, Pighead made the mother of all boo boo's and send it to techyguy. The fcuker will most probably get turned on by said saucy email and respond in kind. Not the kind of saucy PM ping pong Pighead was hoping for. This could get messy.:(

I would say my second funny thing this year is to getting a GAY PM from you ... lolzzzzz..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead has absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You remind him of that old bloke who used to go around Dundalk shouting end of the world gibberish and telling anybody who would listen that Barry McGuigan was a Devil worshipper. We never believed him. Mainly because we were thought to "Never believe the insane ramblings of a smelly old tramp with soiled flannell trousers" Sound advice.

And my initial response to your first post was merely sarcasm, but you didn't seem to appreciate my sense of humour, so rather than taking the thread out of context initially and then flaming afterwards, you could do as I asked, in a humourous manner and "get stupid" or go away. Anyways, this thread has seen more action than most, so here endeth the lesson!

Alright mate ... no worries... sorry if i made you or any one else upset here on this thread..... didnt mean to mirror...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I often pour milk into a bowl and then realise there is no special k/weetabix in it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I often read totaly pointless threads like this, and then wonder why I did so, when I don't even intend on posting in them............ooops!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

that was sooo last year:p

Pighead has absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You remind him of that old bloke who used to go around Dundalk shouting end of the world gibberish and telling anybody who would listen that Barry McGuigan was a Devil worshipper. We never believed him. Mainly because we were thought to "Never believe the insane ramblings of a smelly old tramp with soiled flannell trousers" Sound advice.

Linky
    emo!! wrote: »
    that was sooo last year:p
    Actually its this year. I thought I cleared this up for you.:)

Linky

Sick burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Linky

now now lets not dwel on the minor details!

• Advertisement
Advertisement