Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Benchmark?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-836415bn-designer-town-hailed-as-urban-benchmark-1277922.html

This is something that's been bothering me for a while and I'm intrigued to here what other people think. I'm sure most people on here are familiar with the Adamstown development in West Dublin - the stakeholders have been harpin' on about it for some time now. The development (or at least the planned development) has been hailed as an "urban benchmark" throughout Europe. While I will admit that the plans do look very impressive, there is one small detail that nobody (in the media at least) has picked up on as yet:

A town the size of Drogheda is being built right beside Lucan, arguably the single biggest infrastructural disaster this country has ever seen.

I lived in Lucan from 1990 (when it was practically a country village) to 2005 and watched with horror as it developed into the monstrosity that it is today (thank you Liam Lawlor). Surely there are more suitable sites elsewhere in the country for a development the size of Adamstown? It can only exacerbate the already chronic infrastructural problems in Lucan; traffic congestion in particular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

i agree man but ya know te closer it is to dublin the more money the developers will make. simple as.

these people couldnt give two hoots about whether peoples lives are affected by this cos they wont be living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

DrumSteve wrote: »
    i agree man but ya know te closer it is to dublin the more money the developers will make. simple as.
    Yes, absolutely. But I think what I'm getting at is, given the level of praise that has been thrown at the planners of the project, I'm amazed that no-one (not even a local TD, as far as I am aware) has pointed out that this development is essentially an extension of Lucan and will almost double the population of that area. This will put a massive strain on the already appalling infrastructure in the area - the R120 (Newcastle Road) in particular.

This development is something of a feather in the cap of Fianna Fáil and they have certainly been blowing their own trumpet whenever it is mentioned.
    DrumSteve wrote: »
    these people couldnt give two hoots about whether peoples lives are affected by this cos they wont be living there.
    Again, true, but I would imagine any prospective buyer of a property in the area who has an ounce of cop-on will be thinking to themselves, "how the hell are these roads/buses/etc going to handle this massive influx of people?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They sell the dream of a 'planned town' and enough suckers would buy it.

Only good thing about the place is the new train station is up and running. Time will tell if it doesn't turn into another Calcutta style Arrow service.

Then again, at present the line only goes to town...good for those who work in town, not for others for work elswhere in other suburbs on a non-good public transport area hence yes more traffic.

Still, carrying your shopping on the train is very hard to do hence the need for a car also to get to your Tesco.

Its screwed unless they overhaul the rest of Dublin with efficient public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That looks like ballymun times 10. A purpose built mini-town with a population of 30,000 right beside the m50 - what can possibly go wrong.

gurramok wrote: »
    Only good thing about the place is the new train station is up and running. Time will tell if it doesn't turn into another Calcutta style Arrow service.
    Is it not just an extra stop for the Portlaoise train?

My Mam still lives in Lucan and Mary Harney had the cheek to send someone around with leaflets on her behalf advertising the opening of the station - a handy little timetable was included. This implies that she believes that the station is there to serve people in Adamstown AND Lucan. There are plans to increase the capacity of this line. At present, according to Iarnród Éireann, it can carry a maximum of 11,050 commuter passengers per day in each direction; this is due to be steadily increased to a total potential capacity of 36,400. I still don't think this is nearly enough, considering the combined population of Adamstown and Lucan will be close to 70,000.

Now, the station is (literally) miles away from most people in Lucan, so if a large number of people in Lucan decide to use the service, they are more than likely going to drive to the station (more traffic), although this will be restricted by the availability of parking.
    Then again, at present the line only goes to town...good for those who work in town, not for others for work elswhere in other suburbs on a non-good public transport area hence yes more traffic.
    Well, that applies to pretty much everyone in the Dublin area.
    Morlar wrote: »
    That looks like ballymun times 10. A purpose built mini-town with a population of 30,000 right beside the m50 - what can possibly go wrong.
    I'd be more concerned by the fact that it's right beside the already over-crowded N4 and right on the car park that is the R120 (Newcastle Road).

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Is it not just an extra stop for the Portlaoise train?

My Mam still lives in Lucan and Mary Harney had the cheek to send someone around with leaflets on her behalf advertising the opening of the station - a handy little timetable was included. This implies that she believes that the station is there to serve people in Adamstown AND Lucan. There are plans to increase the capacity of this line. At present, according to Iarnród Éireann, it can carry a maximum of 11,050 commuter passengers per day in each direction; this is due to be steadily increased to a total potential capacity of 36,400. I still don't think this is nearly enough, considering the combined population of Adamstown and Lucan will be close to 70,000.

Now, the station is (literally) miles away from most people in Lucan, so if a large number of people in Lucan decide to use the service, they are more than likely going to drive to the station (more traffic), although this will be restricted by the availability of parking.

Well, that applies to pretty much everyone in the Dublin area.

I think its both a direct commuter for Dub region and extra stop on Portlaoise direction, don't quote me on that :)
    Still applies though, just don't trust Iarnrod Eireann to put on extra capacity, they may do it but you'll be waiting years. Thats what happened on the Arrow line!
    Lucan is indeed a right mess, you've summed up well whats wrong with it, i'd hate to be living out there if i had to use the car or lived miles from a bus stop/train stop.

Lucan is indeed a right mess, you've summed up well whats wrong with it, i'd hate to be living out there if i had to use the car or lived miles from a bus stop/train stop.
    Precisely why I left as soon as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you are misjudging it, Adamstown is intended to be fairly self-sufficient and provide some services for existing Lucan residents. Also it is nowhere near the M50. DARTs between Balbriggan and Hazelhatch will use the Interconnector, considerably increasing services.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055227728

Yeh but when will these new Dart's and interconnector be built?

Thats the root of the problem, they say a certain date most likely several years from now yet from past record in this country, you have to add at least 10years!

Thats no help for Adamstown to develop into self-sufficency at least for shopping purposes, nevermind work purposes(where lots would work outside the town)

To sum up, seeing is believing especially when govt finances are under pressure.

Victor wrote: »
    Adamstown is intended to be fairly self-sufficient and provide some services for existing Lucan residents.
    Key word there.
    Victor wrote: »
    DARTs between Balbriggan and Hazelhatch will use the Interconnector, considerably increasing services.
    Assuming the interconnector gets built on schedule and as planned. Call me a cynic if you must, but in my short time on this Earth, I have learned that plans are often very different from finished product, especially in Ireland. Case in point: Liffey Valley.

• Advertisement
Advertisement