Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Advertising Signs in Dublin???

Options
  • 31-01-2008 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Whatever happened to those new signs that were supposed to go up in Dublin? Some French company I think. Remember all the fuss about free bikes and toilets and Dublin City Council selling it's soul to the devil? The planning permission on those was passed, whatever happened to them??? Anyone know???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The roll out in France went to crap so I think they have scraped the whole thing.....

Edit:

Lol looking like this is a VERY old idea.....

Jan 2004
    'Smartbike' answer to Dublin's traffic problems

http://www.finegael.ie/news/index.cfm/type/details/nkey/23159/pkey/653

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had two appeals into An Bord Pleanala about these - other people have appeals too - not sure of the exact number. They keep putting the date of a decision back - latest was to yesterday - just rang them now and the decision has been put back again to February 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭emkey

and how did the appeal go??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Probably put back another week - I haven't heard anything.

The thing is, if they go ahead, people will be horrified at the number and size of these things, but by then it will be too late to do anything about them.

do you know where I can find out more about the whole thing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There's some stuff on archiseek about it.

Basically the company won't run the jacks and bikes until they get the advertising going so probably won't be any movement until they finish the appeals.

The toilets and bikes were a red herring to pretend JC Decaux had some sort of environmental interest. Their only interest is in the fact that studies were showing the old static ads weren't catching the eye anymore and they wanted to replace them with the 11 feet by 15 feet high backlit moving screens situated on footpaths beside busy roads.

The archiseek thread is here.

Here's a boards thread about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've noticed these brown 5ft stands around town in the last few weeks... could these be the bases for the signs? Can't think of what else they may be

Well they won't be putting one on Newcomen Bridge - my appeal was upheld.
    The Summerhill one I haven't heard yet, but at least one other has been refused, so there is hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

• Advertisement

and that's JCD response:
    JC Decaux to press ahead with bike scheme

Olivia Kelly
    Wed, Feb 13, 2008
    Advertising company JC Decaux has said it intends to press ahead with plans for a city bike rental scheme for Dublin despite the rejection by An Bord Pleanála of 18 advertising panels which the company sought in exchange for the bicycles.
    The panels were part of the deal between Dublin City Council and international advertising company JC Decaux. The proposal entailed swapping advertising space at locations around the city, estimated to be worth in the region of €1 million annually, for 450 bicycles and four public toilets.
    The council had granted permission for 96 advertising structures, approximately half of which were similar in size to bus shelters at 2.59sq m.
    The remainder were "Metropoles", larger panels of 7sq m standing on poles 2m off the ground.
    However 24 of these were appealed to An Bord Pleanála and 18 of the panels were refused by the board.
    A spokesman for JC Decaux said yesterday that the deal for the bicycles was based on the 72 which were not appealed to the board and there would be no change to the agreement following the board's decision.
    © 2008 The Irish Times

Advertisement