Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

honda dealers do they use genuine honda oil for service?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

hi my accord is due for a service and i have a question, do honda dealers
    use genuine honda components for servicing, such as the honda branded oil,, or do they use cheapo oil they get from a motor factors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

only way to be certain is to change your oil yourself and tell them not to touch it tbh

never heard of honda branded oil - I'd imagine it to just be rebranded cheapo oil...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The deler probably buys bulk oil from Maxol or Texaco, It'd have to meet Honda specifications. I wouldn't reccomend servicing it yourself just to be certain they're using Honda branded oil. The Honda techs will bee looking out for problems normal mechanics wouldn't know about unless they had access to technical service bulletins (which they usually don't!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Wossack wrote: »
    never heard of honda branded oil - I'd imagine it to just be rebranded cheapo oil...

i've heard of Honda brand ATF alright. I have a 00 Accord auto, which i bought in june 07, and while searching for info (here included) as it was the first auto i've owned (have driven plenty) it was recommended i get Honda ATF only. Ok, if you have the car from new, but to me its a seven year old car, its a honda, its not gonna matter too much at this stage.

So my reply to the OP would be if you have had the car from new, and intend keeping it for a while, then yes, i would ascertain that they use HOnda brand oil. Being a main Honda dealer, i dont see why they wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Honda don't make oil - it will be branded from another maker, such as "Fiat" oil being Shell.

If you're concerned about what oil they're using - ask them. They'll probably be perfectly willing to surcharge you the difference to use Castrol GTX if you're picky. Whatever they use will match the specifications anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

if you want the best for your car its a oil honda and land rover use, MTF oil, as far as I know honda dont use it in there services unless you specifically request it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Afaik Honda themselves (in the UK at least) recommend using either the elusive Honda-branded stuff OR Castrol Edge meeting their specs in their newer petrol engines. Dunno about the diesels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I have seen a lot of spurious parts comming from honda dealers., i find it to be very cheeky really, If i left my car in there its because i want it as the manufacturer intended and not some cheapo service kit from the local motorfactor., one such dealer is canavans, I wasnt happy after leaving my civic in and finding cheapo parts on it so i took it back and demamded they sort it out. It was the cars first service from new but ill only ever service it myself now. i dont trust other so called pro's to be fiddling with it.,
    on another note, des darcy in swords, I think they have a chimp installing their alarms for them, a friend of mine bought a civic there with a cobra alarm installed and his father in law bought one a while before hand, both of them had one of the worst bodge jobs ive seen to date and i had to rip out the alarm and refit new ones properly.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yes they do use it, if they have it. Otherwise they'll use a high quality oil like Castrol GTX. Either way it will be on the service invoice which oil was used.

Honda do sell Honda brand oil, and it comes in 1L plastic bottles. I'm looking at a bottle of Honda 0W20 right now.

In the US some Honda oil is made by Exxon, but it doesn't say on the bottles we get here who makes it.

Advertisement