Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote: »
    Never ever did I see better than 44k on a 56k modem.

Saw 53k+ twice and 54k just that once , I even hung up and redialled because I could not believe my eyes.

That line will support 22-23mbits if its ever pushed to it .

I would think that the fact that 56% of eircoms customers are on a 1mbit package and will not be upgraded says quite a lot about the copper in this country .

I know one character with a sustainable 256k ( 1mbit package ) at 5.4 miles we reckon.

He lives in a hole and there is no wireless, no 3g and damn crap EDGE and GPRS .

ADSL2+ may get him up to 384k so he , for one, is gagging for it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭nilhg

Praetorian wrote: »
    There was a very strong argument put forward by Watty that this is the way that ISP's are going. Basically we might get cap increases but it's likely they will start charging or at least throttling users going over limits.

When I was in Oz just after Xmas, my sister was signing up with Optus, they were totally selling on data usage,they would give the max speed that the line would sync at but if you went 1KB over your cap you were throttled straight away.

I thin some of you fellas here would need to take up surfing, you wouldn't be downloading as much.......

My other sister was with a small ISP, (Arachnet, seemed to be decent) who were taken over by Amnet, check out the caps split into peak and off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

... I don't think Eircom have made it clear on what is going to be used and the ambiguity of the terms hasn't helped.
    No ambiguity. It's ADSL2+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

When I was in Oz just after Xmas, my sister was signing up with Optus, they were totally selling on data usage,they would give the max speed that the line would sync at but if you went 1KB over your cap you were throttled straight away.

I thin some of you fellas here would need to take up surfing, you wouldn't be downloading as much.......

My other sister was with a small ISP, (Arachnet, seemed to be decent) who were taken over by Amnet, check out the caps split into peak and off peak

I was travelling around the world in 2007 and I noticed this approach in a number of countries including Oz and NZ. It's a very good idea in a lot of ways, but in Ireland it would mean Eircom and the rest wouldn't be able to effectively get years of upgrades out of whatever technology they were selling.

When I was in Japan and South Korea people often had 10 and 20 m/bit connections and seemed to be amused by the idea of caps but I suppose these countries have prioritised netcoms and ordinary people are reaping the benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

pbirney wrote: »
    No ambiguity. It's ADSL2+.
    And you know this, how exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

SeanW wrote: »
    And you know this, how exactly?

http://business.eircom.net/SME/faq/11942954/

Cheers pbirney, that clarifies a lot, ADSL1 and ADSL2+ equipment side-by-side in the exchanges, with ADSL2+ being used where needed (like the 12MB package).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

As of May 7th on Roaches St. exchange, Limerick...still at 3 meg. Perhaps folks can check in from time to time and report if they have been upgraded, what speed they have and what exchange.

Hopefully we've only got 4-6 weeks left to wait.

Btw...my Netgear RangeMax is ADSL2+ ready!

Noone - other than business customers with 4+mb down packages, are due to be upgraded before June.

As for me, I've instructed BT to upgrade my package from 2mb to 3mb, they say it will be done in the next 4-5 days) I used one of those line estimator things and I think it said I could get 8mb with ADSL1 and 14 with ADSL2, so I expect to benefit well from the upgrades whenever they may come into force.

Oh and BTW it doesn't matter what your router is capable of, unless you live next to one of Eircom's 40 ADSL2+ enabled exchanges - and are after the 12mb package.

You should read pbirney's link - it explains EVERYTHING!

Since each telephone line holder has their own line to the exchange, upgrading you to a 12mb package is a simple matter of pulling your phone line from the ADSL capable equipment and plugging it in to the ADSL2+ capable equipment at the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

can anyone confirm any exchanges update yet be it buisness wise or home wise..

ps what sort of technology does smart use? fibre? is that why smart customers have ownage ping times

with adsl and high bandwidth(upload/dl) decrease ping? does adsl2+ use less interleaving, will interleaving be able to be turned off on these new updates for hardcore games like me?! :]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom have had interleving turned off for nearly 2 years now since the last upgrade. Pings to Irish sites around 10ms and 20ms for UK sites, I dont think it can really go much lower than that with the new upgrades.

Pings currently on eircom
    Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 21ms

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 10ms

If your a real hardcore gamer and want to shave a ms or 2 of ur ping and have loads of money to spare then consider getting one of these http://www.killernic.com/

weird, im on eircom 2 mb excellent line stats

my ping times for around 10 ms higher on both those ips.

any reason whats causing this?

i see data path " Interleave " in router settings , do u see the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eircom have had interleving turned off for nearly 2 years now since the last upgrade.

No they don't. It was only done on a small number of good lines. Interleaving is still on for the vast majority.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eircom have had interleving turned off for nearly 2 years now since the last upgrade. Pings to Irish sites around 10ms and 20ms for UK sites, I dont think it can really go much lower than that with the new upgrades.
    [/B]

That's not entirely correct. They've had interleaving turned down for a couple of years on the low speed products, but have it set higher on the higher end business products. Eircom are focusing on reliability rather than super fast response times which makes sense for business clients.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That's not entirely correct. They've had interleaving turned down for a couple of years on the low speed products, but have it set higher on the higher end business products. Eircom are focusing on reliability rather than super fast response times which makes sense for business clients.

Have to agree with this, anyone who wants Broadband for business cares about uptime when compared to response times when playing games :)

understood

if it possible to request it off alltogether?
    still curious why peeps on 2mb/3mb have 10 ms lower pings than i do

saying that i ping to good nl providers , 35 ms dos

germany around 43

etc. but still
    yes it is a big deal for me !:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Hey.

I paid attention to my bandwidth usage for the first three or so months when I first got broadband back in 2005. Now, I'm sure I go over it every month. Never once have I been throttled. If they start to throttle users who go "over the limit", I will quite simply change ISP's from BT.

Hope this won't be the case. What do you lads think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I have interleaving on and i know others on different switches that have it on too, its great, lmao:
    G:\Documents and Settings\Me>ping www.google.ie

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.249.93.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.93.147: bytes=32 time=147ms TTL=243
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 66.249.93.147: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=243
    Reply from 66.249.93.147: bytes=32 time=140ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 66.249.93.147:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Minimum = 124ms, Maximum = 147ms, Average = 137ms

Its normally ~85 for the same ping, but im downloading a file( regular i.e. not torrent ) @ 70k a second on my 3Mb BB so i lose packets all over the shop

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Never once have I been throttled. If they start to throttle users who go "over the limit", I will quite simply change ISP's from BT.

Hope this won't be the case. What do you lads think?

BT are doing it too. In fact they did it first.

nuxxx wrote: »
    understood

if it possible to request it off alltogether?
    still curious why peeps on 2mb/3mb have 10 ms lower pings than i do

saying that i ping to good nl providers , 35 ms dos

germany around 43

etc. but still
    yes it is a big deal for me !:P

As far as I know Smart are the only ISP who will turn interleaving on or off or try different profiles at your request. It would be nice if the other ISP's followed suit. It would be amazing if they provided some kind of automated user selectable choices. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Macros42 wrote: »
    BT are doing it too. In fact they did it first.
    er, he said "from" BT

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

I'm lucky enough to be on a 4Mb Business Connection with Eircom (not saying I'm lucky to be with Eircom just the line spec!) & have received a call from them this morning indicating I'm due to be upgraded to 10Mb next Monday (May 12th). They told me to expect approx 1 hours downtime but didn't say when it would happen. Also asked if I'd been sent a new modem in the post but I explained I'd flashed the current one I have with their latest firmware which according to them makes it ADSL2+ compatible. I live in the Celbridge Area. Hopefully all will go to plan! I'll post back on progress sometime Monday etc..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Monday, eh?

Very good... I suppose they're prioritising the business customers but is there any further word on when everybody else will be seeing the speed increases? Still just 'June' or have there been any more details released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Phlann wrote: »
    Monday, eh?

Very good... I suppose they're prioritising the business customers but is there any further word on when everybody else will be seeing the speed increases? Still just 'June' or have there been any more details released?

I rang Eircom tech support and asked if there was any further update on when the speed increases would kick in and the agent didn't know what i was talking about. He tried to tell me it was just business customers :eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

The press release that was posted here says that they'll be upgrading the residential lines too. Hopefully that was just another misinformed worker-bee you were talking to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

I was talking to a guy from eircom reently and he confirmed that he put in the extra cabling, for the double speed BB in carlow anyhow, he reckoned late may/June we'd be sorted with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

patrickc wrote: »
    I was talking to a guy from eircom reently and he confirmed that he put in the extra cabling, for the double speed BB in carlow anyhow, he reckoned late may/June we'd be sorted with it

thx for the info about carlow :rolleyes:

thx for the info about carlow :rolleyes:

Thanks for nothing there :)

A friend of mine from Eircom speculated 2nd week in June for most of us. He's not very senior though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I am on the Smart 4Mb with 4Mb upgrade, I get the line rental payment from the HSE so they take it off my bill each month. When I signed up to Smart they were giving free line rental so I said but I don't pay it anyway, and they said they would take it off my bill. So I get é21.41 taken off, pay €33.05 for the 4Mb service and €8.26 for the 4Mb upgrade.

I notice on the Smart website they now charge line rental so if I want a faster service I have to pay a lot more. Any news on if Smart are going to upgrade us like €ircomm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

Thanks for nothing there :)

A friend of mine from Eircom speculated 2nd week in June for most of us. He's
    not very senior though!

just saying what i heard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement