Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

7.6mb and 8mb hardly much difference though??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

kaizersoze wrote: »
    it'll be 7.6 max, whenever Eircom get the finger out.

Huh? Is it June already? Jazus I know they deserve everything they get but.............;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

:o

What modem is it?

Either way older modems should be good for 8meg, and possibly 10.
    Kilkenny is on their 'Comming Soon' list so you'll probably go to 7.6 first, then to 8 when the exchange is done.

Linksys BEFDSR41W ADSL 4 Port Wireless gateway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Villain wrote: »
    7.6mb and 8mb hardly much difference though??

Not in speed, but that little difference shows that the BT services you listed are separate from Eircom. Where did you get that price and cap list? It personally strikes me as odd that on that list the caps haven't been increased on it because it doesn't make good business sense when NTL and others are increasing cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Leaflet from BT in the post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup i got that leaflet today as well, and can confirm the list.

if no one does by tomorrow i'll take a photo of it.

anyone in the know, know when the date in june as to when eircom flick the switch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Valentia wrote: »
    Huh? Is it June already? Jazus I know they deserve everything they get but.............;)

*checks callender* jaysus you're right.:p

That was a kind of follow on from an earlier post about businesses (well the ones I deal with anyway) not being upgraded yet. They have to be done before the home users and their 3 month timeframe is nearly up (March - May).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Cremo wrote: »
    yup i got that leaflet today as well, and can confirm the list.

if no one does by tomorrow i'll take a photo of it.

anyone in the know, know when the date in june as to when eircom flick the switch?

Friday June 13th is fav so far..

I really don't understand why BT haven't improved the cap with 8Mbit you could pass that cap in half a day. Will be interesting to see what Eircom do with caps since they haven't announced them for their upgraded speeds yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Friday June 13th is fav so far..
    Seriously? Friday the thirteenth. Fúckin' typical.

• Advertisement

Previous upgrades were done Saturday night into Sunday morning, usually around 1am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm watching my line stats like a hawk.

that's a thing, i have a dlink dir-655 router, for the love of me i can't find my line stats. tried googling it but nothing will come up?

anyone any ideas?

that's a thing, i have a dlink dir-655 router, for the love of me i can't find my line stats. tried googling it but nothing will come up?

anyone any ideas?

Log into the modem and on the top menu click 'Status'. Then on the lefthand menu click 'Statistics'.

I have the 2740b and that where the stats are. The 655 looks to have a very similar interface.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I really don't understand why BT haven't improved the cap with 8Mbit you could pass that cap in half a day. Will be interesting to see what Eircom do with caps since they haven't announced them for their upgraded speeds yet.

To be fair, the actual cap is 100gigs, not the 30gigs advertised. Proportional to speed that's slightly better than the 120GB cap on the 12mbit NTL connection.

I'd really prefer if there were no caps at all though.

Log into the modem and on the top menu click 'Status'. Then on the lefthand menu click 'Statistics'.

I have the 2740b and that where the stats are. The 655 looks to have a very similar interface.

nope not there, all i get there is stats on sent packets/received packets/TX Packets Dropped/RX Packets Dropped/Collisions/Errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

nope not there, all i get there is stats on sent packets/received packets/TX Packets Dropped/RX Packets Dropped/Collisions/Errors.

The DIR 655 is a router, it won't actually give detailed line stats. You'll have to get access to the ADSL modem for that (usually a separate IP address, perhaps 192.168.2.1 if your router has address 192.168.2.2).

If the router and modem is setup in bridge mode (you enter your PPPoE settings into the router rather than the modem) then it's not particularly easy to log in to the modem. You could connect the modem directly to your PC and see if you can log into the admin interface that way.

aye i was thinking that was the case.

slightly annoying tbh. cheers though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'm in carlow and i'm with BT 3mb i just did a test on speedtest.net and got these results(i tested it 3 times just to be sure)(see attachments)

does that mean i've been upgraded?

I can still only download at 300kb/s though(newsgroups)

• Advertisement

Just check your line stats in your router menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I can still only download at 300kb/s though(newsgroups)

Do you use a download manager?

If not try.. www.freedownloadmanager.org

Just check your line stats in your router menu.

I logged in but can't find any stats

kleefarr wrote: »
    Do you use a download manager?

If not try.. www.freedownloadmanager.org

Yes flashget and internetdownloadmanager

both are running at 300kb~

So its just speednet thats giving me faulty results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

That seems likely, considering that your upload is still at the ~384k on that 3MB package. Not sure why it would give false readings like that though, may be related to some cacheing somewhere along the line or some other random glitch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 VickyVA

What ever about Eircom increasing their speeds, which is a good thing but what about the parts of the country that cannot get broadband through the phone lines yet!!!!!!

Vicky

VickyVA wrote: »
    What ever about Eircom increasing their speeds, which is a good thing but what about the parts of the country that cannot get broadband through the phone lines yet!!!!!!

Vicky

Should we all suffer(we all stay on 3mb until they upgrade you) because you live in the back arse?

Its like expecting a tesco next door when you live in the country side

Should we all suffer(we all stay on 3mb until they upgrade you) because you live in the back arse?

Its like expecting a tesco next door when you live in the country side
    Please don't start this again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I seriously don't expect to see any upgrades until June 30th...i mean, Eircom did say "June".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

BT customer service yesterday told both me and my sister that the upgrade will happen the last week in June and not before then!!! but surely it will happen earlier for some of us rather than a switch just be flicked for the whole country overnight?
    It was good though that when I rang BT taht the operator actually knew what we were both talking about rather than when I'd previously rang and spoke to operators that didn't have a clue what I was on about.

What a total geek I am, I didn't realise I was such a geek. I'm wishing the next 4or5 weeks away. I'm like a child in the last week of November thinking that December 25th will never arrive and waking up every morning and thinking to yourself.........."Is it today?" Then when it does arrive your dissapointed because you could swear that your shiny new bike is the exact same as the one your older brother had but went mysteriously missing at the end of October.
    Will I be happy with this new service? Is it all it's supposed to be? does anyone who has been upgraded already think that 7.6 is the dogs compared to 3 or would you barely even notice???
    A lot of questions I know, but the excitement is just too much, this could make up for all my second hand Vinney de Paul Crimbo's that left me so bitter and with the opinion that nothing good ever happens in my pathetic hand me down life.

And another thing....My older brothers were all smaller than me so I looked like a right idiot with hand me down clothes 3or4 sizes too small.......

Slightly off topic I know but rant over. Thankyou for reading I think it's helped the healing process for issues I only now realised I have!!!LOL

Jarvis:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement