Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

jarvis wrote:
    but surely it will happen earlier for some of us rather than a switch just be flicked for the whole country overnight?
    Thats basically how the last 2 upgrades happened. Almost all were done in the space of 3 hours in the wee hours of Sunday morning, between 12 and 3am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Thats basically how the last 2 upgrades happened. Almost all were done in the space of 3 hours in the wee hours of Sunday morning, between 12 and 3am.
    Yea unlike the business connections that they have been upgrading first they won't have to go through the time consuming process of contacting you to make sure your prepared for some possible downtime or anything.

I think I must be the only person on this board that isn't really bothered by the upgrade even though I'm what you would consider a very heavy user, when it comes I'll enjoy it but not going to be counting the days or anything of the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Please don't start this again

are we not allowed have different opinions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

16 hours to funkdown and counting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

What does that mean????:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

If I had to guess I'd say he thinks that when Eircom said the upgrades would be in 'June' they'd be prompt and efficient and upgrade us all at 00:01 on 1st June, rather than 11:59 on 30th June.

i.e. he's lost the plot.

are we not allowed have different opinions?

Yes of course, but the last time you posted that you started a jolly good flame war that lasted about 10 pages if I remember correctly. ;)

Yes of course, but the last time you posted that you started a jolly good flame war that lasted about 10 pages if I remember correctly. ;)

Indeed.

Easy tiger.:D

It looks like nothing is going to happen anytime soon.
    I visited 5 of my customers today and all of them are on 4 meg business connections. NONE of them have been upgraded yet.

Easy tiger.:D

It looks like nothing is going to happen anytime soon.
    I visited 5 of my customers today and all of them are on 4 meg business connections. NONE of them have been upgraded yet.
    If it were me I'd give them a ring at this stage and see what they say, even if they weren't in any great rush to get upped to 10 I wouldn't mind seeing what Eircom would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

For those of you who are eagerly awaiting a speed upgrade:

When checking your connection's speed, always use a domestic server. This is due to needing a low latency in order to deliver accurate results. It also helps to use a reliable server, one that isn't bogged down and won't lie to you. Speedtest.net has 3 Irish servers, last I checked. Each of them has lied to me many times. I know of a much better one...

http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php - always a source of truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

DECEiFER wrote: »
    For those of you who are eagerly awaiting a speed upgrade:

When checking your connection's speed, always use a domestic server. This is due to needing a low latency in order to deliver accurate results. It also helps to use a reliable server, one that isn't bogged down and won't lie to you. Speedtest.net has 3 Irish servers, last I checked. Each of them has lied to me many times. I know of a much better one...

http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php - always a source of truth.

i'd say i'll be going by what my router shows its syncing at..

actually, will I have to reset my router for the router to re-synch or will it just drop and do it itself?

i'd say i'll be going by what my router shows its syncing at..

actually, will I have to reset my router for the router to re-synch or will it just drop and do it itself?
    I'd imagine that the connection would drop itself, forcing a refresh. But in any case, it won't hurt to reset the router from time to time, just in-case.

Just a note: your router will tell you what your line speed is set at, but it won't tell you the actual speed. For example, Person A lives right beside the exchange and subscribes to 3Mb / 384Kb. Person B lives 3km away from the exchange and subscribes to the same. Assuming both of their lines are of optimal quality with no faults from the exchange all the way to their router, who do you think is going to get the fastest speed? However, both their routers will probably report 3072 / 384 Kb/s.

Keep tabs on your connection by using a reliable speed test server, like Blacknight (http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php), and make sure you're getting the speed you're paying for / subscribed to, or at least close to it, most of the time (speeds are never guaranteed, as per the "up to" on their product specification). Just make sure they're not taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

I cant for the life of me remember how this went down at the last upgrade, but do eircom tend to roll out upgrades at individual exchanges or just enable them all in one go?

if its a rollout method they use, maybe starting a thread to keep track of the ones being upgraded might be useful?

I cant for the life of me remember how this went down at the last upgrade, but do eircom tend to roll out upgrades at individual exchanges or just enable them all in one go?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56092335&postcount=395
    if its a rollout method they use, maybe starting a thread to keep track of the ones being upgraded might be useful?

Too soon. All you'll get is post after post of nonsense questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But we get those / will get those anyway. On all the forums. It's the Internet. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Don't **** with the internet , its a big ugly yoke !

3848210598a6800211023l.jpg

Too true.

watty wrote: »
    But we get those / will get those anyway. On all the forums. It's the Internet. :)

True enough.

I'm using IBB Ripwave Plus at the moment. It's killing me, it's so slow, jittery, and unreliable. I just moved house on Thursday night, and my first order of business on Friday morning was to order ADSL again from UTV Internet (cheapest without line rental, and they have some good promos going). Since they're still selling a re-branded eircom product, I assume the speed increases will be effective to UTV Internet and all the other eircom bitstream re-sellers? If so, will it happen at the same time as for the eircom customers on the exchanges, or will there be a longer wait?

• Advertisement

If so, will it happen at the same time as for the eircom customers on the exchanges, or will there be a longer wait?

Same time.

Same time.
    That's grand, because I remember when the first speed increases occurred in March/April 2005 from 512Kb/s to 1024Kb/s and 2048Kb/s, I was on UTV and people who were on eircom had told me they were going faster whilst I was still on 512Kb/s. A week or so later, my connection went up in speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

In before someone falsely stating their line has been upgraded.

Does anyone know if there will be Cap increases on Eircom's end coming with the new speed increases, like there have been with UPC? I'm sure if Eircom make increases, other ISP's will follow accordingly (if not exactly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

No official info on caps yet. No unofficial info on the caps yet either. It's like a web of secrecy, where are all the Eircom employees with insider intel! :)

Praetorian wrote: »
    No official info on caps yet. No unofficial info on the caps yet either. It's like a web of secrecy, where are all the Eircom employees with insider intel! :)
    You really would wonder if all the major ISP's do have anonymous accounts on these boards and regularly monitor them.

Rex Comb, you're a jackass!

Praetorian wrote: »

I was recently talking to a friend of a friend :p who works in Eircom, not somebody high up or anything but someone in a position that should be in the know when or if cap changes will be made and he hadn't been told at that stage (was about 10-11 days ago). Hopefully Eircom aren't going to follow BT's lead lead with their LLU product and not change caps.

Is it going to happen in the future that all exchanges in Ireland will be LLU? I mean, we're the only country in Western Europe at least that are being held up progress wise by one ignorant company; Eircom. Clearly BT are far more progressive, and would offer a lot more for less than Eircom, if they had the means to do so.

Is it going to happen in the future that all exchanges in Ireland will be LLU? I mean, we're the only country in Western Europe at least that are being held up progress wise by one ignorant company; Eircom. Clearly BT are far more progressive, and would offer a lot more for less than Eircom, if they had the means to do so.
    Nope definitely not, regardless of problems with Eircom its not cost effective for a company to unbundle anything more than major towns. Even in the UK and elsewhere this is the case. As far as Eircom being a ignorant company as you call them, Eircom are only doing what they are let do, if BT in the UK was in the position Eircom is here as regards regulatory and political position they would do the exact same.

• Advertisement

I call eircom ignorant because it doesn't make much sense to me why we're paying over-the-top prices for lines that have been in-place for decades. BT in the UK charge under £11 a month (about €14). Eircom charge over €25 a month. Is there something special about renting an eircom line that we're not being made aware of, over renting a BT line in the UK?

Not only that, but they are charging €48.50 a month for a 3Mb broadband connection that is capped. BT have an unlimited option, where you can obtain up to 8Mb broadband, depending on your distance. So you may not get 8, but you'll more than likely get more than 3, unless you're on the outer boundary of where you can avail of DSL. The price? £25 (about €32) a month after the first 3 month promotional period of £15 (about €19) a month. BT have been offering that since 2006. To us, it isn't even a novelty, because we don't have it yet!

Does anyone have any other explanation for this, besides that Eircom are a bunch of ignorant greedy *******? Because, if it was only a little bit more expensive here, a few euros a month in the difference, fine. But this is a big gap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement