Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

eircom has absolutely **** all competition, BT (UK) have loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Cremo wrote: »
    eircom has absolutely **** all competition, BT (UK) have loads.
    In other words, Eircom are exploiting the environment to their advantage at the average person's expense (which just happens to consist of many loyal customers of theirs). That just about confirms that they are a bunch of ignorant greedy *******. :)

But let's question why they don't have competition. LLU. They are holding back progress and milking the benefits from our pockets, until they have to make advancements. Until they are stopped, we will be forever lagging behind, further and further as time moves on, our European counterparts.

How can anyone defend Eircom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Lads, my internets going **** slow. Not downloading anything either. I'm at Bray. Could this be..a sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I call eircom ignorant because it doesn't make much sense to me why we're paying over-the-top prices for lines that have been in-place for decades. BT in the UK charge under £11 a month (about €14). Eircom charge over €25 a month. Is there something special about renting an eircom line that we're not being made aware of, over renting a BT line in the UK?

Not only that, but they are charging €48.50 a month for a 3Mb broadband connection that is capped. BT have an unlimited option, where you can obtain up to 8Mb broadband, depending on your distance. So you may not get 8, but you'll more than likely get more than 3, unless you're on the outer boundary of where you can avail of DSL. The price? £25 (about €32) a month after the first 3 month promotional period of £15 (about €19) a month. BT have been offering that since 2006. To us, it isn't even a novelty, because we don't have it yet!

Does anyone have any other explanation for this, besides that Eircom are a bunch of ignorant greedy *******? Because, if it was only a little bit more expensive here, a few euros a month in the difference, fine. But this is a big gap.

Think you need to look up the word ignorance in a dictionary. Because what you described is nothing to do with ignorance. In fact it has a lot to do with the knowledge to exploit the position that they have been left in, so its almost the opposite of ignorance. Like I said Eircom have only been doing what they have been let do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Lads, my internets going **** slow. Not downloading anything either. I'm at Bray. Could this be..a sign?

Doubt it...

July 1st maybe..

• Advertisement

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Very very unlikely, there would be no reason for them to slow you down to implement an upgrade.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In other words, Eircom are exploiting the environment to their advantage

Just like pretty much every other company in the world.
    They are holding back progress and milking the benefits from our pockets

So a company is holding back the introduction of something that has the potential to lose them market share? Nothing new there.

no, when the upgrade happens there will be an instant downtime for about 10-20minutes (ball park figures) and when your modem resyncs again you'll be on the new speeds.

i'm on 3meg BT in bray and this is what i'm getting.
    278631693.png

actually that quite good for my connection, probably cause everyone is not on the internet in my area on a bank holiday and i usually don't test my connection that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Cremo wrote: »
    no, when the upgrade happens there will be an instant downtime for about 10-20minutes (ball park figures) and when your modem resyncs again you'll be on the new speeds.

We will be waiting a while I reckon ( well into July/ maybe August imo )

I was at my friends work place yesterday and his 4mb business line has yet to be upgraded and its now June, they said max May...

Think you need to look up the word ignorance in a dictionary. Because what you described is nothing to do with ignorance. In fact it has a lot to do with the knowledge to exploit the position that they have been left in, so its almost the opposite of ignorance. Like I said Eircom have only been doing what they have been let do.
    I think you misunderstand the context I was using the word in. That's my fault for not being clearer. I meant they are ignorant of when to implement new technology. We're far behind the rest of Europe in all aspects of telecommunications. I think the onus should fall on the flagship company. Eircom is ours.

And yeah, every company has their edge at market exploitation. It's needed to be able to make a profit, and to try and be the best at what they do. Eircom certainly know how to make a profit, but they are far from being the best. They take the piss as far as exploitation goes. And because nobody is stopping them, and that nobody else can compete with them (due to legislation), they can get away with it. What other choice do we have but to use their services, even if it is through a proxy?

• Advertisement

I think you misunderstand the context I was using the word in. That's my fault for not being clearer. I meant they are ignorant of when to implement new technology. We're far behind the rest of Europe in all aspects of telecommunications. I think the onus should fall on the flagship company. Eircom is ours.
    No thats not the case. Companies are there to make profit. Its nothing to do with ignorance when Eircom deploy new technologies. If it wasn't for other companies like Smart, NTL, BT competing with Eircom in urban areas and pushing them on speed Eircom wouldn't have announced the current set of upgrades. It has absolutely nothing to do with ignorance and everything to do with good business sense.

It has absolutely nothing to do with ignorance and everything to do with good business sense.
    Be that as it may, is that what you tell yourself when you see your bi-monthly bill for €51, for the rental of an antiquated copper line?

Just because it's so, doesn't make it right. And to admire Eircom is one thing, but to not expect a better service for less money in this day and age, is another. Ireland needs what the rest of Europe has. We deserve it, don't we?

Be that as it may, is that what you tell yourself when you see your bi-monthly bill for €51, for the rental of an antiquated copper line?

Just because it's so, doesn't make it right. And to admire Eircom is one thing, but to not expect a better service for less money in this day and age, is another. Ireland needs what the rest of Europe has. We deserve it, don't we?

Never said I agree with the state of broadband in Ireland, In fact you will find I'm probably one of the biggest critics of it on these boards. Ive only been able to get broadband for maybe 3 months and before that I was stuck firmly in dialup land. Buts lets point the finger at the real problems here, the governments policy on broadband and the ineffectual and downright useless comreg. Eircom are not to blame they are just doing what any other company would do if they were effectively given a complete monopoly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

The upgrade is happening tonight.

conceited wrote: »
    any confirmation of that?

I'm only messing :) But tonight would be a perfect night to do it.

Whats your source on this or are you just trolling?

You guys over use that word so much.
    Take a chill pill kids I'm sure it will be soon .

trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

My Arse! :D

You just want to sit back in your chair breaking your sh1te laughing at the thoughts of all the gobsh1tes rebooting their Routers all night :D

• Advertisement

Never said I agree with the state of broadband in Ireland, In fact you will find I'm probably one of the biggest critics of it on these boards. Ive only been able to get broadband for maybe 3 months and before that I was stuck firmly in dialup land. Buts lets point the finger at the real problems here, the governments policy on broadband and the ineffectual and downright useless comreg. Eircom are not to blame they are just doing what any other company would do if they were effectively given a complete monopoly.
    Agreed. The root of the problem does not sit in Rex Comb's office. ComReg don't have the power to do a lot, and that is because of government policy. If ComReg were given the balls from a brass monkey, then Eircom would be more fearful of them. Right now, I think Eircom are probably laughing at them, thinking to themselves how easy they have it. That bubble of fun needs to be pinned, and soon. Being critical is all we have, but is it enough? For years, it's all we have done. The Irish can be very outspoken when posting on forums and whatnot, but what about when it comes to dealing with these people first hand?

Or what about when it comes to the elections, are we voting for the right people? Will this government who has had power for more than 15 years, with little break, be the ones to make the changes? We know they can, we just need to make sure that they do. Next election, when the politicians come knocking at my door, I think I'm going to ask them about LLU and what changes for the better we can expect in the telecommunications they'd be lobbying for, should we vote them into power. I know this is a small issue when compared to the state of our health service and transport infrastructure, but it's an issue none the less, and it's draining our pockets, just to enjoy part of the luxuries that exist elsewhere. I think it's important enough.

I'm only messing But tonight would be a perfect night to do it.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't any night be a good night to do it? If you're talking about a service enhancement, I think I'd welcome it regardless of the date. ;)

A man with a sense of humour ,indeed my friend.:)

I'm dying to get back on DSL again. I haven't downloaded a movie or TV series in months! On my current connection, to download one measly episode of Lost can take up to 24 hours!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It would be nice if folks played it straight and not mess about with BS and jokes. If you've got serious and legit info feel free to post.

Otherwise please go away. [btw...Roaches St. exchange Limerick is still 3MB]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Not only that, but they are charging €48.50 a month for a 3Mb broadband connection that is capped.

Your more fool to pay that. I'm getting 3MB on UTV for 23.99 per month.

It would be nice if folks played it straight and not mess about with BS and jokes. If you've got serious and legit info feel free to post.

Otherwise please go away. [btw...Roaches St. exchange Limerick is still 3MB]
    Indeed. Bad people! What were you thinking! :mad:

BTW, Tralee exchange is still 3Mb. :D

Lighten up, dude. No need to be so rigid. I'm sure when there's decent info to be posted, it shall be. We're merely laying down the issues surrounding the Irish telcos in the meantime, as a discussion, which is what a forum is designed to facilitate. ;)

Skyuser wrote: »
    Your more fool to pay that. I'm getting 3MB on UTV for 23.99 per month.
    I don't pay that, and I won't ever pay that. I have never been with Eircom. In-fact, I have ordered 3Mb from UTV myself, and am waiting to be switched on. I was merely stating what our flagship telco charges in comparison to the UK's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

You really would wonder if all the major ISP's do have anonymous accounts on these boards and regularly monitor them.

Rex Comb, you're a jackass!

I know for a fact that BT use the boards all the time. I had a long running issue a while ago and the rep that was dealing with it used the boards to communicate with other boardies in the same area as me to test and report their speeds.
    I contacted the BT director of customer services as my issue was going on rediculously long. She regularly emailed me from her blackberry and she rang me on my mobile 5 minutes after I used the forum to give her Email address to another guy in the same area with the same problems. She was able to tell me that my Boars User ID was Jarvis!!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

"It would appear you're line is under performing..."

Does this mean I may have problems when the upgrade comes?

ADSLspeedtest.jpg?t=1212434390

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

kleefarr wrote: »
    "It would appear you're line is under performing..."

Does this mean I may have problems when the upgrade comes?

ADSLspeedtest.jpg?t=1212434390
    You should be ok, bear in mind Eircom are supposedly using ADSL2 technology so this will help allot with a bad line, that test says you should get around ~7250kbps with this setup so you should be ok for the 7.6meg upgrade maybe get slightly less than that speed, tbh though details are scant and no one really knows what eircom are up to regarding this, if there using adsl2 tech though you should be ok :)

Nick

• Advertisement

What site provides that information, or is that part of some router's firmware?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement