Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Thanks
    but nothing happens when I click the
    click here to see what speeds are possible button?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

You have to input your router details like download speed (2048) noise margin and line attenuation....these details can be found within your routers web configuration wizard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

nice one! i can get 8128Kbps on a normal ADSL service and 19000Kbps on ADSL2

:eek:
    That's a sweet line you've got there. You should count yourself lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I have just moved house in the last week. Check out my line stats as reported by two different routers. I'd have to say this looks like the sweetest line I've ever had!

ZyXEL 660HW-61:
    noise margin upstream: 21 db
    output power downstream: -4 db
    attenuation upstream: 2 db

noise margin downstream: 25 db
    output power upstream: 0 db
    attenuation downstream: 2 db

BT Voyager 210:
    Noise Margin 30.2 dB 18.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 3.0 dB 2.0 dB

So, can anyone confirm if Eircom are changing to ADSL2+ (1:1 contention) when the speeds upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

That's a sweet line you've got there. You should count yourself lucky.

aye the house is a few years old and its really close to the exchange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

im hoping when this upgrade happens ill get more than 64 Kbps upload on my 3Mb connection lmao, 96Kbps would be good, 128Kbps would be great, but i reckon itll be the same crap

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

lmimmfn wrote: »
    im hoping when this upgrade happens ill get more than 64 Kbps upload on my 3Mb connection lmao, 96Kbps would be good, 128Kbps would be great, but i reckon itll be the same crap
    Settle for nothing less than your router syncing at 384 Kb/s. That should, in reality, get you between 300-330 Kb/s. Dividing your actual speed (in Kilobits per second) by 8 gives you the result in Kilobytes per second.

Another tip for you all is to change your encapsulation from PPPoE to PPPoA inside of your routers. Believe it or not, it still works, and will give you some extra bandwidth (check http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php for a before and after comparison) by removing some overhead on your connection. Been doing it for years, and works a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can anyone confirm if its gonna be ADSL2+ as the my maximum line speed is: 23729Kbps :D
    but only 5186Kbps if ADSL :mad:

Might move the router to the main socket and try it again as I've got it plugged in upstairs beside my server, I live just up the road from the exchange tho.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if its gonna be ADSL2+ as the my maximum line speed is: 23729Kbps :D
    but only 5186Kbps if ADSL :mad:

Might move the router to the main socket and try it again as I've got it plugged in upstairs beside my server, I live just up the road from the exchange tho.
    I'm waiting to hear back from that myself. If it is ADSL2+ we won't have to worry about contention any longer, therefore slowdowns at peak time will not be an issue. It sounds too good to be true where Eircom are concerned, but sure, we can hope!

Plugging your router as close to the phone socket can be of benefit, but you may not get a massive improvement. It all depends on your internal wiring that you've been using to put the router upstairs. If it's bad, then sure. If not, the difference may not be anything noticeable. But try it, put it downstairs and use a longer CAT5e / CAT6 Ethernet cable to connect the router to your server.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I'm waiting to hear back from that myself. If it is ADSL2+ we won't have to worry about contention any longer, therefore slowdowns at peak time will not be an issue. It sounds too good to be true where Eircom are concerned, but sure, we can hope!

What makes you think we won't have to worry about contention?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Internal wiring should be ok, its a 2yo house, but I'm goin 2 move the router anyway when i get time, got a van-full of cat5, I'm in the business, but my own house is always the hardest 2 get anything done.

Doubt Eircom will be offering 1:1 contention to residential customers

ADSL2+ works without contention. I've never seen an ADSL2+ service with anything more than 1:1, inside and outside of Ireland. Smart is ADSL2+ and it's all 1:1. Same with Magnet back in the day (not sure if they still do ADSL2+ or if it's just FTTH these days), all their ADSL2+ services were 1:1. That's just what the technology is.
    Next Generation Technology

Using the latest technology, the ADSL2+ service is able to get unprecedented speeds for connectivity on existing copper circuits, meaning high speed Internet access at an affordable price. The ADSL2+ network is also built on a brand new dedicated high-speed backbone architecture that effectively eliminates traditional contention ratios that broadband users are so tired of.

Cerberus Networks’ Michael Rudge explains,

“ADSL2+ has really changed the market for broadband services, especially for businesses. Before ADSL2+, clients looking for high upload speeds had to go for expensive SDSL or leased line connections. Those looking for high download had to make do with the slow
    upload of ADSL, and you would always pay a big premium for low contention. Now you get the best of both with ADSL2+ and contention is no longer a consideration.”

I just thought I'd cite a source on ADSL2+ to show that it does seem to eliminate contention completely, because of the technology used to transmit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

nice one! i can get 8128Kbps on a normal ADSL service and 19000Kbps on ADSL2

:eek:

yea i'm getting pretty much the same kind of stats back, although i'm taking it with a big pinch of salt, theres a million other factors involved.

Settle for nothing less than your router syncing at 384 Kb/s. That should, in reality, get you between 300-330 Kb/s. Dividing your actual speed (in Kilobits per second) by 8 gives you the result in Kilobytes per second.

Another tip for you all is to change your encapsulation from PPPoE to PPPoA inside of your routers. Believe it or not, it still works, and will give you some extra bandwidth (check http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php for a before and after comparison) by removing some overhead on your connection. Been doing it for years, and works a treat!
    err, i wish, Eircom just say "its adaptive so f**k off", and yes its 64Kbps as in 8Kilobytes per secont crippled broadband. Wouldnt mind i only got the line installed 4 months ago( after waiting 7 months for eircom to connect the damn thing ) and i have great attenuation( 30/26 ) as im less than 2 Km from the switch, however my SNR ratio for upload and download is 5 or 6 lmao.

Im with UTV and eircom told them to pi$$ off and stop opening cases on my line lol, just been onto comreg, best i can get not having to pay the leaving before contract is expired then trying someone else( i think ill choose eircom broadband and just ring them every day or even twice a day so i cost more than my line will ever be worth lmao )
    PPPoA wont work for me, in fact it takes me 30-40 minutes to get PPPoE authentication to work as i just get "Failed to get IP address", sometimes it can take 90-120 minutes lmao

Rewired phoneplug, tried 3 modems and my modems at a mates, tried several different short phone wires, rewired phone socket to only connect to main line as opposed to house sockets, tried 2 filters/without filters, tried ADSL test socket, checked line into house, nada

Basically its just a big two fingers from eircom and they can enjoy my monthly line rental even though i have 0 need for a phone lol

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

I just thought I'd cite a source on ADSL2+ to show that it does seem to eliminate contention completely, because of the technology used to transmit.

nice to see the added benifit of ADSL2+, but i've never felt contention was a major problem out my way with ADSL the way it is.

the way we're going you never know, we might get the ADSL2+ upgrade June 2010 :P

err, i wish, Eircom just say "its adaptive so f**k off", and yes its 64Kbps as in 8Kilobytes per secont crippled broadband. Wouldnt mind i only got the line installed 4 months ago( after waiting 7 months for eircom to connect the damn thing ) and i have great attenuation( 30/26 ) as im less than 2 Km from the switch, however my SNR ratio for upload and download is 5 or 6 lmao.

Im with UTV and eircom told them to pi$$ off and stop opening cases on my line lol, just been onto comreg, best i can get not having to pay the leaving before contract is expired then trying someone else( i think ill choose eircom broadband and just ring them every day or even twice a day so i cost more than my line will ever be worth lmao )
    PPPoA wont work for me, in fact it takes me 30-40 minutes to get PPPoE authentication to work as i just get "Failed to get IP address", sometimes it can take 90-120 minutes lmao

Rewired phoneplug, tried 3 modems and my modems at a mates, tried several different short phone wires, rewired phone socket to only connect to main line as opposed to house sockets, tried 2 filters/without filters, tried ADSL test socket, checked line into house, nada

Basically its just a big two fingers from eircom and they can enjoy my monthly line rental even though i have 0 need for a phone lol
    I was given this beautiful tip about 18 months ago, and I used it to fix a friend's line.

1. Ring UTV's TS team.
    2. Sound confident and like you know a thing or two about PSTN.
    3. Tell them you hear noise when you pick up the phone, do not mention ADSL or your Router, as they will blame it on everything and anything regarding your own setup, and indeed Eircom's, just to fob you off.
    4. If they ask you if it's the handset itself, tell them you've tried 3 different ones and each makes the same buzzing kind of noise.
    5. Demand, don't ask, that an Eircom engineer check your line from the exchange.
    6. Don't take no for an answer.
    7. Curse them out if they even try to say they can't do anything, because they can, and have, and will, if you persist.
    8. Only mention that you feel your broadband is being affected by low speeds IF you are getting nowhere by constant nagging.

If you do all that, then Eircom will check the line for you at the exchange, and it won't cost you a penny. Your SNR is borderline for regular connection drops, and your attenuation is just too high. Ideally, I'd like to see mine under 20 dB. As it is, I'm getting 2-4 dB (my SNR is over 20 dB - seems to be an excellent line).

Since your line is new, I don't see how they can justify such noise. Surely the copper will be new compared to most older places, and therefore should be of high quality. I would have them look into it straight away. Then talk to them about your upload, if that isn't resolved. You're only 2km from the exchange, same as what I have been at the various places I have had ADSL. I've never synced at less than what I've paid for.

Good luck!

P.S. As for PPPoA, it will work if your line is not faulty. I've tried it on like 6 different lines on different exchanges, using different routers, all with 100% success. Your line should never take more than 2 minutes to sync, no matter what you use. If it does, it's a problem on Eircom's end, where it be temporary, due to maintenance, or more long-term.

I was given this beautiful tip about 18 months ago, and I used it to fix a friend's line.

1. Ring UTV's TS team.
    2. Sound confident and like you know a thing or two about PSTN.
    3. Tell them you hear noise when you pick up the phone, do not mention ADSL or your Router, as they will blame it on everything and anything regarding your own setup, and indeed Eircom's, just to fob you off.
    4. If they ask you if it's the handset itself, tell them you've tried 3 different ones and each makes the same buzzing kind of noise.
    5. Demand, don't ask, that an Eircom engineer check your line from the exchange.
    6. Don't take no for an answer.
    7. Curse them out if they even try to say they can't do anything, because they can, and have, and will, if you persist.
    8. Only mention that you feel your broadband is being affected by low speeds IF you are getting nowhere by constant nagging.

If you do all that, then Eircom will check the line for you at the exchange, and it won't cost you a penny. Your SNR is borderline for regular connection drops, and your attenuation is just too high. Ideally, I'd like to see mine under 20 dB. As it is, I'm getting 2-4 dB (my SNR is over 20 dB - seems to be an excellent line).

Since your line is new, I don't see how they can justify such noise. Surely the copper will be new compared to most older places, and therefore should be of high quality. I would have them look into it straight away. Then talk to them about your upload, if that isn't resolved. You're only 2km from the exchange, same as what I have been at the various places I have had ADSL. I've never synced at less than what I've paid for.

Good luck!

P.S. As for PPPoA, it will work if your line is not faulty. I've tried it on like 6 different lines on different exchanges, using different routers, all with 100% success. Your line should never take more than 2 minutes to sync, no matter what you use. If it does, it's a problem on Eircom's end, where it be temporary, due to maintenance, or more long-term.
    ill give it a whirl again, i already got my line reset by eircom 3 times already apparently and they said no fault whatsoever found on the line( yeah like thats why their switch has a damn 6db SNR ), believe me ive been on the case for months as i need the stupid thing for work and cant use it for that purpose

Ive had ADSL in my previous gaff and the attenuation was higher but SNR was excellent at ~20. I dont see how they've been fobbing me off with bullcrap when as you say the copper is brand new. I actually had proper broadband for 1 week at the begining of march( i didnt dare disconnect it, but 3Mb download and 384Kb upload was fantastic while it lasted ).

Ill see what they say about the noise on the line, i doubt they'll do anything about the upload i nothing happens from line check simply because they've agreed theres a problem with the line yet eircom completely deny it and say theres no point any longer in logging issues with it

Its either try again or myself and herself relocate just to get broadband that works

The PPPoA didnt work, tried 10 times with just PPP authentication failed - failed to get IP address, probably cos of the $**t line lol.

Btw cheers for the upbeat response, this has been wrecking my head for months now and taken up far to much of my time trying to sort it than i care to imagine. Ill have a beer now lol

ill give it a whirl again, i already got my line reset by eircom 3 times already apparently and they said no fault whatsoever found on the line( yeah like thats why their switch has a damn 6db SNR ), believe me ive been on the case for months as i need the stupid thing for work and cant use it for that purpose

Ive had ADSL in my previous gaff and the attenuation was higher but SNR was excellent at ~20. I dont see how they've been fobbing me off with bullcrap when as you say the copper is brand new. I actually had proper broadband for 1 week at the begining of march( i didnt dare disconnect it, but 3Mb download and 384Kb upload was fantastic while it lasted ).

Ill see what they say about the noise on the line, i doubt they'll do anything about the upload i nothing happens from line check simply because they've agreed theres a problem with the line yet eircom completely deny it and say theres no point any longer in logging issues with it

Its either try again or myself and herself relocate just to get broadband that works

The PPPoA didnt work, tried 10 times with just PPP authentication failed - failed to get IP address, probably cos of the $**t line lol.

Btw cheers for the upbeat response, this has been wrecking my head for months now and taken up far to much of my time trying to sort it than i care to imagine. Ill have a beer now lol
    Is your area covered by UPC? If not, how about Smart or Magnet?

Is your area covered by UPC? If not, how about Smart or Magnet?
    unfortunately not, in mullingar, only eircon or probably some crappy air link

unfortunately not, in mullingar, only eircon or probably some crappy air link
    Same as. Well, enjoy your beers, and the best of luck with Eircom! Keep persisting unless it becomes certainly clear that nothing WILL be done (as we all know they could if they wanted to).

Just a note. If you are paying line rental to Eircom, and not UTV, then I'd be inclined to contact 1901 to get through to Eircom's TS.

• Advertisement

Same as. Well, enjoy your beers, and the best of luck with Eircom! Keep persisting unless it becomes certainly clear that nothing WILL be done (as we all know they could if they wanted to).

Just a note. If you are paying line rental to Eircom, and not UTV, then I'd be inclined to contact 1901 to get through to Eircom's TS.
    cheers, beers are going good :), im with utv on line and BB but im tring to cancel it and change to Eircon just so i can hound them, easier to go to the source, especially if theres any alternative to moving gaff just for BB.

Cheers again, ill have a beer for ya lol

cheers, beers are going good :), im with utv on line and BB but im tring to cancel it and change to Eircon just so i can hound them, easier to go to the source, especially if theres any alternative to moving gaff just for BB.

Cheers again, ill have a beer for ya lol
    Suggestion:
    Stick with UTV for broadband and switch to Eircom for your line rental and calls (even if you never use the phone, it doesn't matter). This way, you'll be an Eircom customer, while still getting a cheaper broadband service from UTV. If that doesn't work, and Eircom refuse to talk to you, then I suppose as a last resort before moving home, you could pay Eircom for your broadband.

Sláinte! ;)

Suggestion:
    Stick with UTV for broadband and switch to Eircom for your line rental and calls (even if you never use the phone, it doesn't matter). This way, you'll be an Eircom customer, while still getting a cheaper broadband service from UTV. If that doesn't work, and Eircom refuse to talk to you, then I suppose as a last resort before moving home, you could pay Eircom for your broadband.

Sláinte! ;)
    actually great idea, ill try that as its the best of both worlds to get it sorted and hopefully wont have the cancellation fee. If all else fails and much as it pains me Eircon it will be

Thanks again for the help, appreciated, soz for off topic for everyone else

Sláinte! ( jebus even got the fada in :) )

actually great idea, ill try that as its the best of both worlds to get it sorted and hopefully wont have the cancellation fee. If all else fails and much as it pains me Eircon it will be

Thanks again for the help, appreciated, soz for off topic for everyone else

Sláinte! ( jebus even got the fada in :) )
    Alt Gr + Vowel = Fada :D (provided your keyboard is set to English (Ireland))

There might be a cancellation fee, but even so, it would be worth it. Remember, UTV want you to write any cancellations to them (very old fashioned, I know), usually 30 days in advance (at least for broadband - not sure about the rest). An email will suffice, so ask the operator when you're on to him/her.

If in the end you have to cancel your broadband with UTV, don't have your line switched off. You can get a seamless transfer to Eircom, as long as you tell them that's what you want, and request a cancellation number.

Just ask UTV for all the details, their agents are usually friendly enough compared to other ISP's.

Yeah, sorry for going off on a tangent. Roll on those speed upgrades, eh! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Yes. You're going to 3 meg.
    Thank you kind internet gentleman! :p
    BT meh, 4 MBs would be nice, but I'll take what I can get.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

With Adsl2+ Max 2048kbps with Rate Adaptive 1.8mb i really have a crappy line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Me too. Its projecting that my max speed will be 3Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm with UTV in Bray and I would have thought my stats were lousy. 40 attenuation and between 7-14db Noise margin. Once in a blue moon I loose sync with the exchange that a reboot of the router resolves and I connect at the full speeds for my package 3mbit. ie get about 2500kbps DL and close to 300hbps UL.

The line checker indicates my line should handle about 12mbits on ADSL2. Happy Days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I have a class line, going by that test

With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around:19999Kbps

qrhrtn93k7o1ff8ic1ou_thumb.jpg

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 15.00 9.00
    CRC Errors 4 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've been looking at my nice line stats for years. My own line should be good for somewhere between 14.5-17 m/bit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement