Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭dylanpp

DSL Status: UP
    DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
    DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
    Downstream Rate: 3072 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 384 Kbps
    Downstream Margin: 10 db
    Upstream Margin: 15 db
    Downstream Line Attenuation: 54
    Upstream Line Attenuation: 31

Some1 give me the lowdown on the down_low.

I dont give a damn about bandwidth. i long for the early days when my 512k connection got a 25ms ping to uk game servers. In the last week it has gone to 70ms+ solidly! I dont want to post a screenshot of what that capabilities site thing gave me... it would give many of you nightmares.

also: if i get interleaving turned off... will this reduce my ping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Has anyone in the "Coming soon" areas had any results yet? :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dylanpp wrote: »
    DSL Status: UP
    DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
    DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
    Downstream Rate: 3072 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 384 Kbps
    Downstream Margin: 10 db
    Upstream Margin: 15 db
    Downstream Line Attenuation: 54
    Upstream Line Attenuation: 31

Some1 give me the lowdown on the down_low.

I dont give a damn about bandwidth. i long for the early days when my 512k connection got a 25ms ping to uk game servers. In the last week it has gone to 70ms+ solidly! I dont want to post a screenshot of what that capabilities site thing gave me... it would give many of you nightmares.

also: if i get interleaving turned off... will this reduce my ping?

there must be something wrong if ur getting 70ms solidly, what provider are you on?

most eircom/bt customers get pings of 20 to 30ms average to uk servers and interleaving has been turned off in most cases for the past 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Gonzo wrote: »
    there must be something wrong if ur getting 70ms solidly, what provider are you on?

most eircom/bt customers get pings of 20 to 30ms average to uk servers and interleaving has been turned off in most cases for the past 2 years.
    I must disagree about the interleaving. While 20-40ms is what you should expect to connect to any UK server at during peak conditions, interleaving is still switched on, and as far as I know Eircom don't switch it off for anyone (but you can always beg them).

I'm not sure if interleaving is effective using the ADSL2+ standard, but if it is, I bet it's switched on. I hear it's set quite low, though, so that it kills errors on the higher speed lines, but doesn't compromise latency too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

261no0o.jpg

Looking forward to see what I'll actually get once the update is live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

guys i have got my line stats off my modem but it didn't provide the SNR figure.

is there a way i could calculate this from these figures:

noise margin upstream: 16 db
    output power downstream: 0 db
    attenuation upstream: 13 db

noise margin downstream: 27 db
    output power upstream: 18 db
    attenuation downstream: 30 db

Cremo wrote: »
    guys i have got my line stats off my modem but it didn't provide the SNR figure.

is there a way i could calculate this from these figures:

noise margin upstream: 16 db
    output power downstream: 0 db
    attenuation upstream: 13 db

noise margin downstream: 27 db
    output power upstream: 18 db
    attenuation downstream: 30 db
    Noise Margin = SNR Margin = amount of useful signal on your line
    Line Attenuation = useless noise

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Noise Margin = SNR Margin = amount of useful signal on your line
    Line Attenuation = useless noise
    ahh i thought that SNR was some figure derived from the noise margin downstream and the output power downstream.

so my SNR would be 27db?

Cremo wrote: »
    so my SNR would be 27db?

Correct, for the downstream. :)

Correct, for the downstream. :)
    cool i can get a max of 16mbits on adsl2+ according to that site, now for eircom to get to that before i die.

• Advertisement

Everyone seems to be so sure that it's going to be ADSL2+. Where are you getting this from? I really hope it is! But, I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Everyone seems to be so sure that it's going to be ADSL2+. Where are you getting this from? I really hope it is! But, I'm not getting my hopes up.
    Some people who have already been upgrade said its using ADSL2+ tech in posts previous in this topic, we can only guess for such a upgrade like this to occur, ADSL2+ would be a logical solution

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Some people who have already been upgrade said its using ADSL2+ tech in posts previous in this topic, we can only guess for such a upgrade like this to occur, ADSL2+ would be a logical solution

Nick
    Oh I agree. Not only is it logical, but it's a long time coming! Then again, this is Eircom. ;)

I eagerly await the upgrade, and hope for a 1:1 contention ratio!!!

My DSL modem gives me very detailed stats. 10.5Mb/s downstream doesn't sound too bad! :D It was 11,808kb/s in my old house in Drumcondra. Pity my connection won't be getting speed increases as is, the connection was already set up at 1Mb when I moved in and haven't really been bothered to change it.

dslstats.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Its definitely Adsl2+ for the business people that have already been upgraded. An interesting point to note is that at the moment with the 40 or so exchanges with the 12mbit available, there is adsl and adsl2+ equipment running side by side. It might also mean more downtime than most people on this thread have been speculating on and might also mean that people won't be upgraded all at once like in the previous speed upgrades, because as Eircom put it on one of their f.a.q.'s
    eircom has to jumper you from the current adsl equipment at the exchange to new adsl2+ equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Adsl2+ at 40 exchanges only and adsl at the remainder..

This is Eircom..

Sqaull20 wrote: »

This is Eircom..
    And I bet at least 20 of them are Dublin based. Typical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

June 5th...not a sausage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

More customers.

Lets set up one of them in ballycrack and let john the farmer have it to himself

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

i'm out from town a bit..
    in fact about 4 miles from exchange..

just tested me line!

and yippee!!

when is BT/Eircom speed increase to 7.6 happing..I rang and she said 26th June 2008 ! Any one else?

• Advertisement

More customers.

Lets set up one of them in ballycrack and let john the farmer have it to himself
    That's funny. But there are more urban centres in Ireland than within the confides of Dublin. Yet, even they seem to get ignored a lot, when it comes to these sorts of advancements.

But here's what I think regarding ADSL2+. Standard Bitstream ADSL can handle up to 8Mb (depending on your line's condition), so any product that's below 8Mb will most likely have to settle for ADSL, and the business customers that are going faster than 8Mb will benefit from ADSL2+, to make their speeds possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Well mine has gone from useless for the last few days to totally inconsistent but waaaaay faster.

I'm on BT 3Mb.

280150877.png

Something weird happening here this morning..............

280150877.png

280152655.png

280153084.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

looks like they might be doing the hokey pokey with your line there Valentia. :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

280163308.png

i'm ment to have 3mb

vibe666 wrote: »
    looks like they might be doing the hokey pokey with your line there Valentia. :)

There is definitely someone doing something...............but what is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sqaull20 wrote: »

This is Eircom..
    Obviously thats only whats available on the other exchanges at the moment, but for this upgrade to happen, one can only assume that the others are being upgraded to ADSL2+. My point is that there will be more downtime and a more phased roll out than people have been speculating on.
    No point in giving out about it, its the way these things will always happen and you shouldn't expect them not to put it in the largest population area first.
    That's funny. But there are more urban centres in Ireland than within the confides of Dublin. Yet, even they seem to get ignored a lot, when it comes to these sorts of advancements.

But here's what I think regarding ADSL2+. Standard Bitstream ADSL can handle up to 8Mb (depending on your line's condition), so any product that's below 8Mb will most likely have to settle for ADSL, and the business customers that are going faster than 8Mb will benefit from ADSL2+, to make their speeds possible.
    Thats an interesting theory, had thought about this because of the way the current 40 exchanges are being run with adsl and adsl2+ equipment but I honestly think that its more hassle for eircom especially in the long run, though you never know.

sorry for long post :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

mattman wrote: »
    i'm out from town a bit..
    in fact about 4 miles from exchange..

just tested me line!

and yippee!!

when is BT/Eircom speed increase to 7.6 happing..I rang and she said 26th June 2008 ! Any one else?

Same, end of the month I was told. First I rang BT and they said Eircom were rolling it out in my area at the end of June. Then I rang Eircom to be sure and they said the week of June 23rd - 27th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I only moved to Eircom (from wireless) this week and was told July/August. Not a hope in June, I was told. One thing is for sure........very few people actually know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

azzeretti wrote: »
    I only moved to Eircom (from wireless) this week and was told July/August. Not a hope in June, I was told. One thing is for sure........very few people actually know!

I've been told that the original planned date for the main series of upgrades (i.e. 2Mbps customers upgrading to 3Mbps and 3Mbps customers upgrading to 7.6Mbps) was due to happen on the weekend of the 20th of June. However there has been a technical hitch so they have to push it out to some time in July (date to be confirmed). This will affect eircom customers as well as those on Bitstream.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement