Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Fingleberries, plug out everything connected to any phone lines in your house, totally 100% everything so no sockets have any wires in them at all.

then plug your modem directly into the main socket coming into your house and see what you're getting then.

as long as someone doesn't ring in on the phone line it should be fine and will take potential unknown local variables out of the equation.

if it's good then start adding stuff back onto the line one at a time, checking after each additional item and you'll find your culprit.

it's not outside the realm of possibility that it's a dodgy filter/splitter, but this should give you a fair idea if what's causing your problems is inside the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

If you have a monitored alarm, the alarm company must install a special splitter or something. This is only stuff I've read, as I don't have one myself. I'm not sure exactly what technology is used by the alarm company to split your line, but if you don't have it, then you would definitely need to give your company a call and see about getting it done.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    If you have a monitored alarm, the alarm company must install a special splitter or something. This is only stuff I've read, as I don't have one myself. I'm not sure exactly what technology is used by the alarm company to split your line, but if you don't have it, then you would definitely need to give your company a call and see about getting it done.
    They just install the equivalent of an ADSL micro filter so the DSL signal doesn't interfere with the modem in the alarm. In my house it's a telephone box with a filter built in, one output has a PC icon above it and the other has a phone icon; but the alarm is wired internally to the phone socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Got my hopes up there for the last hour. Line kept dropping. Nothing more than Magnet fu(king up yet again though :(

Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 27 db 9 db
    Noise Margin 27 db 15 db

My stats are pretty solid when I'm synced.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

screenshot040it2.jpg

Guess I'm lucky as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Dun Laoghaire exchange here.
    I think I've been boosted from my 3Mbps.
    Eircom's page said I would be getting 7.6Mbps but I'm only getting 5.5Mbps. I don't think it's a distance issue because I got the full 3Mbps before

blubloblu wrote: »
    Eircom's page said I would be getting 7.6Mbps but I'm only getting 5.5Mbps. I don't think it's a distance issue because I got the full 3Mbps before
    It may still be a distance issue. Post your line stats, maybe ~5.5 is your maximum attainable data rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

blubloblu wrote: »

Post the stats of your router, only way you'll know for sure. Just becuase your line was able for 3Mbps, don't mean its good enough for the full 7.6. Post stats to be sure your upgraded

My silly router still thinks I'm at 3Mbps. I've got a network activity monitor app that shows me I'm at a constant 5.5 occasionally spiking to 6.4 (sometimes even 7.6/7.8) for less than a second every 5 minutes or so
    212fwd1.png

Its the info from the modem we need.

If its the standary netopia log in2 the modem on 192.168.1.254, click expert mode, click statistics, then dsl and copy & paste the information here. What make modem have you got?

• Advertisement

It's a Netgear DG834G.
    It's reporting 3Mbps downstream, but this might be because I haven't rebooted it. I'm in the middle of something important right now and won't be able to do so
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 33 db 9 db
    Noise Margin 13 db 14 db

Edit: I realise the above is very messy. I can't seem to get this Table bbcode working though

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Are you on a business or residential package? Just curious.

I think it's called 'Home Professional'.
    I've always been on one package that's been upgraded as I went along, started with the "Hi-Speed" (haha) ISDN modem and went from there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like your still on 3072/384k like the rest of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Yea unless your router is saying more than 3072 your not upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

..And to think I had hope :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

No upgrade here yet for Dundalk, but would love to know what is going on, I have 3MB connection with BT and today I can't even get 1MB ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

281439435.png

Do you think they might be upgrading my 3meg connection at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

281439435.png

There should be no reason why they would lower your speed to perform an upgrade, its an unrelated issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 29.50 20.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 10.50 8.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

my stats are excellent the exchange is down my street

when asking yourself what package are u on its set in the router page as the "max allowed speed"

i was paying for 2mb for over a year until they finally upgraded me(eircom)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

There should be no reason why they would lower your speed to perform an upgrade, its an unrelated issue.

I know, sorry I was just being a smart ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

281439435.png

That seems to be a pretty widespread problem with BT at the moment. I suggest everyone rings Tech support.

I'm suppose to have a 3MB connection, this is what I'm getting:

281466769.png

Valentia wrote: »
    That seems to be a pretty widespread problem with BT at the moment. I suggest everyone rings Tech support.
    I just rang them and was told he hadn't heard of anyone else having an issue today, bit strange considering I rang a few hours earlier. I was then told to ring back tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

On a 3MB connection.

281504428.png

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its the info from the modem we need.

If its the standary netopia log in2 the modem on 192.168.1.254, click expert mode, click statistics, then dsl and copy & paste the information here. What make modem have you got?

wowku9el51768z4qhc4y.jpg

thats what its saying on the modem.

281545143.png
    is what speedtest.net says

wowku9el51768z4qhc4y.jpg

thats what its saying on the modem.

So You've not got an upgrade, Still syncing at 3Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Still no 2Mb->3Mb on mine in Celbridge. :(
    picss0.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

everyone is posting their stats and mentioning how far away from the exchange they live......How do I find out where my exchange is??? Do I physically have to see it or can I find out on the web? or can anyone here tell me where it is?
    I live in Ashbourne.

Thanks
    J

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Enter your phone number in the line checker on Smart Telecom's home page, should tell you what exchange you're on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement