Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Ok so has everyone been upgraded except me? On the Tullamore exchange. I see NTL have been upgrading people.....

284787352.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nobody has been upgraded on the eircom network except for some business users, no residential customers have been upgraded, they are due to be upgraded at the end of June but there has been a few rumours/talks to this been delayed. If no-one has been upgraded by June 30th then we can assume that the upgrade has been put on hold. But so far no-one has any real idea what eircom are doing about the upgrade and when. The NTL upgrades are a completely different thing, thats cable broadband wheras Eircom/UTV/BT etc is DSL.

Impatience :) . Thanks for the information. When this thread went to the second page i thought everyone was happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Little birdy told me it is delayed, 2-3 weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Praetorian wrote: »
    Little birdy told me it is delayed, 2-3 weeks now.

Wonder was it the same little birdy I was talking to :D
    Ive been told that its completely up in the air at the moment but almost definitely after June.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my little birdy told me that its anywhere from middle of July till end of August which still means nothing to me. Its quite annoying that eircom issued a press release almost 6 months ago about these upgrades giving a vague estimate of when they might be completed, they should have issued a proper detailed press release only when they were 100% certain that they can upgrade everyone about a month before upgrades go live with a proper date rather than dragging this out for half a year leaving us all in agony waiting to be upgraded!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gonzo wrote: »
    Its quite annoying that eircom issued a press release almost 6 months ago about these upgrades giving

They issued a press release about VDSL for the 5 big cities nearly 2 years back, where is that then ??? Nothing has been done on VDSL rollout .
    a vague estimate of when they might be completed, they should have issued a proper detailed press release only when they were 100% certain that they can upgrade everyone about a month before upgrades go live with a proper date rather than dragging this out for half a year leaving us all in agony waiting to be upgraded!

Ca$h . There is feck all of it around in eircom any more.

The 330 exchange upgrade program is slowing riiiiiigggggghhhht down as well. Estimated completion now 2011 or 2012 I should think :(

But issuing all these 'coming soon' press releases interferes nicely with the plans of other operators so thats dandy .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ca$h . There is feck all of it around in eircom any more.

Don't know about you but I'd blame privatisation for that.

Karsini wrote: »
    Don't know about you but I'd blame privatisation for that.

Babcock and Brown putting the company a few billion in debt is to blame for lack of money really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Babcock and Brown putting the company a few billion in debt is to blame for lack of money really.

Babcock and Brown and their allies in the Communications Workers Union putting it a few billion more in debt you mean .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Where do I donate? I can spare 2 euro. C'mon guys, let's bring eircom back!
    Who am I kiddin'!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Do the speed increases apply to just a few exchanges or is it 100% nationwide.

I have 3mb business broadband....does this mean that my speed will automatically be bumped up to 7.6mbs or do I have to apply for it?

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Do the speed increases apply to just a few exchanges or is it 100% nationwide.

I have 3mb business broadband....does this mean that my speed will automatically be bumped up to 7.6mbs or do I have to apply for it?
    It's nationwide and fully automatic. All you have to do, is wait. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

DECEiFER wrote: »
    It's nationwide and fully automatic. All you have to do, is wait. :)

And wait, and wait, and wait. Then wait some more. Now you're almost done waiting, no hang on, yep, wait a bit more. OK, you're done waiting - now you can have 8Mb/s.

Next year (or 2010...11...12) - an incredible 12Mb/s!!! Wow. Aren't we lucky. :rolleyes:

tripswitch wrote: »
    Next year (or 2010...11...12) - an incredible 12Mb/s!!! Wow. Aren't we lucky. :rolleyes:
    That's not due until 2015, sorry. :p

**** it TBH, Does what i want it t do. Aside from the dreary piss trickle of upload speed of course. But i dont use that much. I just wanna see the cool new speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Leatherbelly

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Babcock and Brown and their allies in the Communications Workers Union putting it a few billion more in debt you mean .

never ever has there been a truer sentence written on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

DECEiFER wrote: »
    That's not due until 2015, sorry. :p

Us NTL-heads have it already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

And does the distance from the switch, and line quality, etc etc come into the equation? Or if I can get 3mb BB at the mo am I guaranteed to be able to get the increase?

And does the distance from the switch, and line quality, etc etc come into the equation? Or if I can get 3mb BB at the mo am I guaranteed to be able to get the increase?

Yep could end up being the case that you might not be able to get much more than your current 3 depending on distance and line quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

That's what i'm wondering. If it's ADSL then a lot of people won't be getting the speed they think. It'll be like UK with 'up to 8mb'. I'm only 800 metres from the exchange so I should get quite high speed. If it's ADSL2+ then the speed should be gaurenteed.

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Please leave. :(

(joke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

sdonn_1 wrote: »

What're (a) the service itself and (b) the support like on NTL? They're faster and cheaper than BT at the moment and I'm tempted to switch, but I've had some poor service from their cable tv division over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

what are Eircom waiting for ?? does anyone know the date of the flick over .. can't believe it hasn't been leaked yet

i reckon even eircom dont know the date, ive heard anywhere from end of june till august, for all we know it cud happen 2moro or it cud happen hte day before christmas, nobody knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

O.K. Near enough from the horses mouth! Weekend of July 4th and it is definitely ADSL2+. Oh, and I'm not in the habit of saying stuff unless it's accurate.

If you are in the Dundrum area VDSL might be available on trial to you now but for sure at the start of next year. Make enquiries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: Is that for definite? I'm delighted its ADSL2+, will it be ADSL2+ all over the country tho?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Is that for definite? I'm delighted its ADSL2+, will it be ADSL2+ all over the country tho?
    Here's an uninformed guess. I'd have to say no. There's no reason for eircom to upgrade the entire network to ADSL2+. Only speeds that exceed 8Mb/s would need it. With 7.6Mb/s being the highest on the residential side of things, why would they bother?

They'd have to upgrade each exchange with their own ADSL2+ technology. Using Magnet's and Smart's would not be an option, as it belongs to them, and it's on their lines, in the LLU exchanges only.

I do hope the whole country gets ADSL2+, but I'm not holding my breath.

Whole country would have to get ADSL2+ because it would be close to impossible to be able to provide the 12mbit business packages on their current equipment. You would literally have to be living in the exchange to be able to get the full speed. With ADSL2+ they would have a little more breathing room.

• Advertisement

Whole country would have to get ADSL2+ because it would be close to impossible to be able to provide the 12mbit business packages on their current equipment. You would literally have to be living in the exchange to be able to get the full speed. With ADSL2+ they would have a little more breathing room.
    That's a good point, because there's no separation in the exchange between a Business line and a Residential line. The whole system would need to be working off of the ADSL2+ standard, in order for provisions to be made for 12Mb/s subscribers in any given area of the country.

Well, we'll see come upgrade time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement