Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I do hope the whole country gets ADSL2+, but I'm not holding my breath.

Careful now that you don't smother ;)!! It is all existing ADSL exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Valentia wrote: »
    Careful now that you don't smother ;)!! It is all existing ADSL exchanges.
    Well, that's what I meant. I would definitely have to draw the line at that point, as they for sure wouldn't bother upgrading every exchange in the country. They haven't done it to-date, unlike in Northern Ireland, where ADSL is 100% available across 100% of the exchanges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The ADSL2+ gear is a line card added as necessary to an existing chassis I take it then Valentia :)

Why throw out perfectly good ADSL gear when half your customers are only on 1mbit anyway and why bother upgrading the lot to ADSL2 ( incl the 1 Meggers) unless you had serious crosstalk issues in a particular area .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The ADSL2+ gear is a line card added as necessary to an existing chassis I take it then Valentia :)

Why throw out perfectly good ADSL gear when half your customers are only on 1mbit anyway and why bother upgrading the lot to ADSL2 ( incl the 1 Meggers) unless you had serious crosstalk issues in a particular area .

I'm totally illiterate on this stuff. I'm told all that the exchanges are nearly done and all that will need to be done is change a card. So if you know what that means you know more than me. My source is impeccable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I thought they had started some of that VDSL stuff already in the Dundrum area?? I do know that Priory Park and Dundrum exchange areas were being targeted first.

With ADSL2, you can get 50% extra speed over the same range of frequencies available. So if there was to be a hope of widespread 7.6 mbps, they'd need ADSL2. I'm not sure if ADSL2+ would be needed, but the difference between the two is mainly that bandwidth goes up to 2.2MHz instead of 1.1MHz in ADSL1.

• Advertisement

I thought they had started some of that VDSL stuff already in the Dundrum area?? I do know that Priory Park and Dundrum exchange areas were being targeted first.

Yes. I was just given general info on Dundrum but VDSL is up and running in some areas there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

for residential users in dundrum? how would you go about making an enquiry like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

O.K. Near enough from the horses mouth! Weekend of July 4th and it is definitely ADSL2+. Oh, and I'm not in the habit of saying stuff unless it's accurate.

Only 4 days later than advertised.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

they should upgrade all the 1 meggers

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

O.K. Near enough from the horses mouth! Weekend of July 4th and it is definitely ADSL2+. Oh, and I'm not in the habit of saying stuff unless it's accurate.

Since you seem to have the horse's ear could you tell him that I don't give a damn about these other guys and I'd like to be upgraded tomorrow afternoon.

Around 4PM would suit.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Phlann wrote: »
    Since you seem to have the horse's ear could you tell him that I don't give a damn about these other guys and I'd like to be upgraded tomorrow afternoon.

Around 4PM would suit.

Thanks in advance.
    I nearly spat tea all over my laptop reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

Phlann wrote: »

Around 4PM would suit.

Thanks in advance.

lawl, nice.

seriously though, them hurrying the feck up would be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

*bumps*

So does anyone have an idea of when we will be getting these speed increases.. latest rumour I had heard slated them for June 27th (this Friday).

If you are in the Dundrum area VDSL might be available on trial to you now but for sure at the start of next year. Make enquiries.

Have you read this or is it in Japanese on your computer??:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Have you read this or is it in Japanese on your computer??:o

Valentia,

I once spoke to a horse who was convinced he was gonna win the national but he didn't and I lost a lot of money. How reliable is this horse of yours and how reliable is the info. Should we take it as gospel and does it still stand after all these rumours of a delay etc.

cheers
    J

jarvis wrote: »
    Valentia,

I once spoke to a horse who was convinced he was gonna win the national but he didn't and I lost a lot of money. How reliable is this horse of yours and how reliable is the info. Should we take it as gospel and does it still stand after all these rumours of a delay etc.

cheers
    J

The horse is very reliable. The jockey. on the other hand, is fond of a jar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

just heard from a little birdie we`ll be lucky to see the upgrades by november :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

nuxxx wrote: »
    just heard from a little birdie we`ll be lucky to see the upgrades by november :eek:
    I hope the horse stands on your bird and crushes it! Come on July 4th.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nuxxx wrote: »

I wouldnt be surprised, there has been many rumours of delayed upgrades from enough sources to take seriously, no-one really knowing anything, and complete vagueness from eircom. I think if we were to get these upgrades in June we would propably already have them by now. If the technical problems revolve around the homelines not able to support the 7.6meg upgrade in many cases due to radsl, maybe eircom have to go back to the drawing board on this one... upgrades sometime 2009 I wouldnt be surprised, afterall this is eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

he started laughing when i suggested this month, there having massive internal problems with the buisness upgrades apparently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

If the technical problems revolve around the homelines not able to support the 7.6meg upgrade in many cases due to radsl, maybe eircom have to go back to the drawing board on this one... upgrades sometime 2009 I wouldnt be surprised, afterall this is eircom.

I doubt they just announced upgrades of 7.6megabits without a vigourous testing program before they approved a new upgrade on said lines do you?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Speaking of birds and horses, wheres my upgrade :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Not good news posted in another thread but what most suspected.:(
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56343119&postcount=32
    flamegrill wrote:
    The information is correct as of end of May as was communicated by eircom to the people in each OLO (BT, Magnet, Strencom, Perlico, Imagine etc). Today there was an announcement that there will be no upgrades in June.

As for speculation, the fact is Eircom could change their mind and go "testing has shown that 80% of upgraded 3meg test lines encounter issues on RADSL" and the fix could be to move them to ADSL2+.

But as I said above, as of end of May it was RADSL for the "mass unwashed" and ADSL2+ for business customers on 4mbit or higher (current packages).
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56347650&postcount=35
    Bohrio wrote:
    This is apparently true. Eircom has postponed indefinitely the upgrade as they have encountered problems with their trial customer when upgraded to 7.6 mbps. The problem, as it has already been said, is to do with RA (Rate adaptive) ADSL.

Apparently they wont be using ADSL2+ with all customers. This is probably due to the cost involved. A high percentage of their routers wont work with ADSL2+. So the procedure will be if you are a new customer and your exchange has an adsl2+ DSLAM then you "might", and only might, be given ADSL2+, if you are an old customer then you will stay on ADSL1 (g.dmt).

This will explain the problems they said the encountered as RA g.dmt (ADSL1) is less permissive than RA ADSL2+, this is most of the times due to the quality of the copper wires (unstable lines). In order for a person to obtain 7.6 mbps on G.DMT the line has to be fairly close to the exchange, also, ADSL2+ deals much better on RA than on G.DMT.

I find this a bit sad, I think there is a lack of ambition from Eircoms side. I dont know, maybe is just me but I was hoping that, as others ISPs (such as Smart, Magnet and even BT) had already started offering this service, Eircom was planning a major counterstrike but apparently that's not possible.

Bad news I am afraid. At the moment Eircom wont be giving any more explanations until July. I will see what I can find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seansshack

crap. Time to move away from eircom.

Just checking sites for Digiweb and smart etc and everyone offers more speed and same for less than eircom.

This is a big disappointment. 7.6 megs would have kept me with them for a bit. But their rates for 3mb compared to other vendors is robbery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Goody Goody Gumshoes :)

Now that they are not going to upgrade their 3mbit customers to 7.6mbits they can concentrate instead of the trivial task of upgrading their many 2mbit customers to 3mbits instead.

I was getting bored with all this 7.6mbit talk while awaiting my turn to be upped from the oul 2mbits .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Goody Goody Gumshoes :)

Now that they are not going to upgrade their 3mbit customers to 7.6mbits they can concentrate instead of the trivial task of upgrading their many 2mbit customers to 3mbits instead.

I was getting bored with all this 7.6mbit talk while awaiting my turn to be upped from the oul 2mbits .
    You think they'll upgrade yiz? Lol you'll have to upgrade to the 3meg rip off package were on to get 3meg now as these liars aint rolling out any upgrades, I've put up with this crap long enough, gonna look to switching to UPC now :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yoyo wrote: »
    You think they'll upgrade yiz? Lol you'll have to upgrade to the 3meg rip off package were on to get 3meg now as these liars aint rolling out any upgrades, I've put up with this crap long enough, gonna look to switching to UPC now :)

Nick

they'll have to release something official before the end of this month if there is a delay...

surely they can be professional enough to do at least that. or else they'll constantly be bombarded with "where's my upgrade" type calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Friend of mine emailed BT to find out what was going on and the guy emailed him back and said upgrades are on course for June, he emailed him back again and asked for an exact date and he said this Thursday ( June 26th )

Im going to go with my friend and Valentia. think we will see upgrade before 2 weeks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Friend of mine emailed BT to find out what was going on and the guy emailed him back and said upgrades are on course for June, he emailed him back again and asked for an exact date and he said this Thursday ( June 26th )

Im going to go with my friend and Valentia. think we will see upgrade before 2 weeks

Well this is great if its true, however I don't know what to belive now :(

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Tony Broke wrote: »

That's just two days! :D

Fingers crossed.

I have noticed that I can't get another IP address apart from 78. when I reset. I wonder what that means?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement