Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

kleefarr wrote: »
    That's just two days! :D

Fingers crossed.

I have noticed that I can't get another IP address apart from 78. when I reset. I wonder what that means?
    Yeah, that pissed me off. I got banned on a ****ty assed game server and they have firewalled the BT 78. subnet (the idiots who run the server refer to it as a route block, dolts). I use UTV now so all's good! I just like to wreck their heads, because they are the type of people who deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

kleefarr wrote: »
    That's just two days! :D

Fingers crossed.

I have noticed that I can't get another IP address apart from 78. when I reset. I wonder what that means?
    Sweet **** all, I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Sweet **** all, I would think.
    It's just what's available in the DHCP pool over in BT land. Perhaps they are ditching some of the old ones from the other ranges in favor of these. Why, I don't know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

7.6 meg ftw gimme gimme gimme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

yoyo wrote: »
    Well this is great if its true, however I don't know what to belive now :(

Nick

I will put up a print screen of his email tomorrow evening.

More evidence for our protest :D

Though its only a customer support agent, no one high up I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

the guy who told me november if were lucky is working up in the eircom hq

he LAUGHED at me when i suggested this month

but oh well lets see i hope he was wrong but i seriously doubt it
    and btw read up lol :P theres a document eircom released saying the upgrades are delayed
    :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wheres this document from eircom pointing to the delay in upgrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

There is no such announcement on eircom's press release page. This thread is simply a bunch of rumours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

rc28 wrote: »
    There is no such announcement on eircom's press release page. This thread is simply a bunch of rumours

I think that is exactly it.

We should just bide our time and wait patiently for something to happen when it happens. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

The announcement was to the OLOs as pointed out previously. It's then down to them to notify their customers. I don't recall a letter from magnet about the upgrade. Who actually got notifications from their ISP regarding upgrades?

Paul

• Advertisement

I didn't get a letter informing me. I did get the leaflet though. Not sure if that means I will be getting the upgrade.

Who was the leaftlet from? Eircom? Who's your ISP?

It was from BT.

Hard to know with Bt as they are moving people to their own Kit aswell so whether or not it was the eircom upgrade or a move to their LLU product is unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

flamegrill wrote: »
    Hard to know with Bt as they are moving people to their own Kit aswell so whether or not it was the eircom upgrade or a move to their LLU product is unknown.

This is the BB portion of the letter verbatim as it was written by BT.
    Want more good news? We’re also upgrading some of our broadband speeds – for no extra charge! Our Option 2 of up to 2Mb will now automatically become 3Mb, and our existing Option 3 broadband of up to 3Mb will become up to 8Mb*. Watch out for these fantastic improvements which are scheduled to happen in June.

*Broadband speeds are subject to survey, compatibility and availability. Up to 8Mb can only be achieved in certain locations, see btireland.ie/8Mb for details. In all other locations the maximum speed for Option 3 is 7.6Mb.
    It's obvious they're talking about the Eircom upgrades aswell as their own.
    They don't mention any date in June for the upgrades but all the other changes mentioned in the letter come into affect on the 27th of June. These are changes to CallMobile, rate periods - peak/off peak, call rates and changes to their Ts&Cs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

My source has pulled back a bit too :confused: So there ya go. Never pay much attention to the horses mouth. What he was told initially came from way up the line but sometimes they are the last to know what is going on!

I haven't given up compete hope but if it is not ADSL 2+ we are completely ****ed. A child of 7 should know that not to mind a telecoms exec on 200 grand a year. Ah well!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

These rumours are getting out of hand. I don't believe that Eircom would release a statement saying they'd upgrade lines, then go and start testing lines with RADSL and figure "no thats not gonna work, maybe we should try ADSL2+".
    When they released that statement, I think they knew exactly what equipment there were gonna need and when they'd upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

They are using adsl2 yee plonkers.

Skyuser is the first person to use his head .
    In all fairness now lads do you honestly think they would announce it without having tested it before hand? A bit of copon now for gods sake .:rolleyes::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

They are using adsl2 yee plonkers.

Skyuser is the first person to use his head .
    In all fairness now lads do you honestly think they would announce it without having tested it before hand? A bit of copon now for gods sake .:rolleyes::)

I wish you were right, well, not that I personally care as I am not with Eircom anymore, but believe me when I say that the upgrades wont be taking place as scheduled.

At the moment we dont know the exact reason, only that it has to do with RA and g.dmt. As I said this surprised me a lot as I was told by them that they will be using ADSL2+ for this upgrade but as someone already said they are not prepared to get rid off their old ADSL1 DSLAMs for the moment.

They cant upgrade 2 mb customers to 3 mb either until they figure out a way to upgrade 3 mb customers without any issues, maybe lowering the target speed. My guess is that they are just studying it. I was part of their ADSL2+ trial and it worked fine but trying to upgrade customer to 7.6 mb using g.dmt is just a bit more difficult.

Of course Eircom have tested it, why do you think they said the were going to upgrade all customer to 7.6 mbps? why not 8 mb? why not 7? well, simply because they estimated that the attainable rates of all their 3 mb customers is on average 7.6 mbps.

This wouldn't be a problem if they were using ADSL2+. For example, for BT, using ADSL2+ (on their LLU2 lines) 80% of their customer on the 8 mb product synched at the aimed speed (8124 kbps). If BT would've upgraded their customer using ADSL1 this percentage would have drastically dropped.

ADSL2+ deals better with RA and SRA than g.dmt. On most lines, ADSL2+ doesnt need a high noise margin to work reliably while g.dmt does. Normally the target noise margin is set to 6-9 dB for ADSL2+ while, for g.dmt, the target is normally close to 15 dB. ADSL2+ will have no problem in lowering the target line rate to a lower speed if it feels the line is not suitable, g.dmt wont be so condescending, I am not saying it wont do it, it will, but it wont be as reliable as ADSL2+.

In those cases the best option is to lower the target speed to a more suitable speed. Put it this way, lets say that they have over 500.000 customers on Bitstream, and lets just say that only 80.000 are on their IPSWIFT (3mb) profile. Being optimistic lets say that they upgrade all 80.000 customers to their 7.6 mbps profile and that 95% reach that speed without a problem (no way jose though), that will leave us with with approximately 4.000 customers with sync issues.

At this point, those customers will start calling their ISPs complaining of intermittent connections, Eircom's WTM team will be literally bombarded with faults, little they can do to fix this but to downgrade customers to a more reliable profile, and here comes the problem, which profile? ISPs cannot change profile as their discreation (they do but there is a 15 euro downgrade fee), it is logical to think that eircom will have to figure out a way of downgrading a customer to a lower profile (5, 6, 7 mb) to match the customer's line rate, but, how much hassle will that mean for the ISPs? and Eircom? ISP cannot use regular profiles as the billing is different for each one of them. And who is it going to do that? It will have to be Eircom as only them can determine what's line profile is best. And we are talking of just 5% of their 3 mb customer, but that number could easy be 20, 30 or 40%. Do you think they are prepared to deal with 4000 angry customers? what about 16.000?

Now, only Eircom (and God maybe) know what they will do. Time will tell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Hi everyone, just to let ye know that Eircom customer care rang me this morning - 3mb is going up to 7.something mb in August, yippee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Bohrio wrote: »
    I wish you were right, well, not that I personally care as I am not with Eircom anymore, but believe me when I say that the upgrades wont be taking place as scheduled.

At the moment we dont know the exact reason, only that it has to do with RA and g.dmt. As I said this surprised me a lot as I was told by them that they will be using ADSL2+ for this upgrade but as someone already said they are not prepared to get rid off their old ADSL1 DSLAMs for the moment.

They cant upgrade 2 mb customers to 3 mb either until they figure out a way to upgrade 3 mb customers without any issues, maybe lowering the target speed. My guess is that they are just studying it. I was part of their ADSL2+ trial and it worked fine but trying to upgrade customer to 7.6 mb using g.dmt is just a bit more difficult.

Of course Eircom have tested it, why do you think they said the were going to upgrade all customer to 7.6 mbps? why not 8 mb? why not 7? well, simply because they estimated that the attainable rates of all their 3 mb customers is on average 7.6 mbps.

This wouldn't be a problem if they were using ADSL2+. For example, for BT, using ADSL2+ (on their LLU2 lines) 80% of their customer on the 8 mb product synched at the aimed speed (8124 kbps). If BT would've upgraded their customer using ADSL1 this percentage would have drastically dropped.

ADSL2+ deals better with RA and SRA than g.dmt. On most lines, ADSL2+ doesnt need a high noise margin to work reliably while g.dmt does. Normally the target noise margin is set to 6-9 dB for ADSL2+ while, for g.dmt, the target is normally close to 15 dB. ADSL2+ will have no problem in lowering the target line rate to a lower speed if it feels the line is not suitable, g.dmt wont be so condescending, I am not saying it wont do it, it will, but it wont be as reliable as ADSL2+.

In those cases the best option is to lower the target speed to a more suitable speed. Put it this way, lets say that they have over 500.000 customers on Bitstream, and lets just say that only 80.000 are on their IPSWIFT (3mb) profile. Being optimistic lets say that they upgrade all 80.000 customers to their 7.6 mbps profile and that 95% reach that speed without a problem (no way jose though), that will leave us with with approximately 4.000 customers with sync issues.

At this point, those customers will start calling their ISPs complaining of intermittent connections, Eircom's WTM team will be literally bombarded with faults, little they can do to fix this but to downgrade customers to a more reliable profile, and here comes the problem, which profile? ISPs cannot change profile as their discreation (they do but there is a 15 euro downgrade fee), it is logical to think that eircom will have to figure out a way of downgrading a customer to a lower profile (5, 6, 7 mb) to match the customer's line rate, but, how much hassle will that mean for the ISPs? and Eircom? ISP cannot use regular profiles as the billing is different for each one of them. And who is it going to do that? It will have to be Eircom as only them can determine what's line profile is best. And we are talking of just 5% of their 3 mb customer, but that number could easy be 20, 30 or 40%. Do you think they are prepared to deal with 4000 angry customers? what about 16.000?

Now, only Eircom (and God maybe) know what they will do. Time will tell...

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just to let ye know that Eircom customer care rang me this morning - 3mb is going up to 7.something mb in August, yippee!

BOO!!!!

I'm still sticking to the June story.

And Valentia, I can't believe your donkey lied!!!!!!

Jarvis

jarvis wrote: »
    ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz................

Ok Ok a bit long I know

I will make it easy for you, simple words.

Upgrades has been postponed due to technical difficulties, they cannot confirm a new date, an update will be given in July, only then we will know for sure (could be August, could be later) and the upgrade is mostly ADSL1.

There you go

jarvis wrote: »
    BOO!!!!

I'm still sticking to the June story.

And Valentia, I can't believe your donkey lied!!!!!!

Jarvis

He's not a donkey and he only told me what he was told by a top Eircom bod.........

Bohrio wrote: »
    I wish you were right, well, not that I personally care as I am not with Eircom anymore,

Who are you with? You are aware that it is Eircom that most other providers resell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I emailed the eircom press office last night and they sent a quick reply this morning. I cannot just copy and paste the whole thing onto here as it says specifically not to do that at the end of the message. Basically I just asked what has happened to the speed increases that were promised and the reply was sort of vague.
    He/she claims that the list of exchanges due to get the speed increases has expanded over the last few months and, therefore, the date of completion has been pushed back. I found this confusing because I thought ALL exchanges(that already have bb) were going to get the upgrades?? Does this mean some people will simply never get upgraded? It was also implied the upgrades will be done in a phased, per exchange basis over 'the coming months' as that is the way it has been done over the last few months (has ANYONE got the upgrade yet, even business customers?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbanswers

tinkerbell wrote: »

Nobody in Eircom Customer Care knows the exact date or even month. Soon is as certain as anybody knows. Its 7.6 and August is as good a guess as any I suppose.

Valentia wrote: »
    Who are you with? You are aware that it is Eircom that most other providers resell?

Yes I am very aware thanks... daily basis aware ;)

I am with Magnet FTTH. No Eircom involvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seansshack

Rang Eircom and "by the end of the summer" is what I was told.

Take from that what you will. Gone from June to "maybe" by end of august.

It depends on when your exchange gets upgraded. Since I'm plugged into a ferrybank exchange outside waterford, maybe 2012 would be my guess.

Won't hold my breath and think I'll just start shopping around as I'm on the 3meg line, so just wasting money in comparison to what smart offer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I've an Eircom 3mb business broadband connection on the Merrion Exchange in D2.

Could be one of the first to see an upgrade, I'll check it occasionally to see if anything happens (it's only our backup connection).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement