Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbanswers

JDxtra wrote: »
    I've an Eircom 3mb business broadband connection on the Merrion Exchange in D2.

Could be one of the first to see an upgrade, I'll check it occasionally to see if anything happens (it's only our backup connection).

Business customers are on different schedule regarding the speed increase program. Business customers on Merrion can already get 12Mbps if you ring up. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

bbanswers wrote: »
    Business customers on Merrion can already get 12Mbps if you ring up. ;)

...and also the small matter of paying €169/month (as opposed to €40). :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What bargain:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, Especially excl VAT & line rental:D:D:D:pac:

Nick

Well in Eircom terms thats a deal considering the 6Mbps package also retails for €169/month.

If you want to get some value for money switch to the Residental broadband 3Mbps product and get support from 0800-2200 instead of 0800-1800. Same turnaround for faults, 3-5 days, same field engineers, more extras [setanta]. Oh and dont forget the FREE PC HEALTH CHECK ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Valentia wrote: »
    He's not a donkey and he only told me what he was told by a top Eircom bod.........

Wasn't being disrespectful.... Reffering to the horses mouth comment....Donkey.....horses mouth..., No?

• Advertisement

Well in Eircom terms thats a deal considering the 6Mbps package also retails for €169/month.

If you want to get some value for money switch to the Residental broadband 3Mbps product and get support from 0800-2200 instead of 0800-1800. Same turnaround for faults, 3-5 days, same field engineers, more extras [setanta]. Oh and dont forget the FREE PC HEALTH CHECK ;)
    I can't access that Setanta thing on Eircom in my 3 meg package (Error saying u need a home package) so does that mean my dads buying the business 3 meg package?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seansshack

anyone here use smart broadband. They "appear" much cheaper with no caps and faster speeds than eircom?

seansshack wrote: »
    anyone here use smart broadband. They "appear" much cheaper with no caps and faster speeds than eircom?
    Not available in my area m8 :( If my line check passed I'd be gone in a flash!

Nick

my line checked OK - but confused to what speed they may be able to offer as exchange is waiting for eircom to upgrade (unless they use different hardware in same exchanges).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Wish I could get it too but unfortunately you can count the number of people who can get smart on one hand:( There only available in a few high density dublin exchanges and a few others scattered through the country.

• Advertisement

just rang them and the line passed on the website. But it's bugged. So I can't get. Stuck with eircom ripoff of €48 for 3 megs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

just rang them and the line passed on the website. But it's bugged. So I can't get. Stuck with eircom ripoff of €48 for 3 megs....

48 euro wont seem such a rip off when ur getting 7.6meg,at least thats how i keep justifying it to myself anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I think their line checker is broken today- I put mine and many of my neighbours numbers through it and it says we are all eligible because we are on the blanchardstown exchange. Last time I checked we were part of the dunshaughlin exchange which is pretty far from blanch!

yoyo wrote: »
    I can't access that Setanta thing on Eircom in my 3 meg package (Error saying u need a home package) so does that mean my dads buying the business 3 meg package?

More than likely. Ring tech support and ask if you are residential or business customer. If its business, no Setanta. If its residential then email [email]alwaysonforsport@@eircom.net[/email] with your ip address/dsl phone number/account number giving the error. They should email back with whats wrong.

7.6 increase promise does make it easier to take. But coming june then maybe by end of august, is a bad way to sell it.

but comparing to smart if I could get it, I could get 8meg and save money.

So eircom need to drop their prices as well as offer more speed.

This is not even factoring ntl offers - as I didn't check as can't get anyway.

Just fed up I guess. as was looking forward to the extra speed this month.

More than likely. Ring tech support and ask if you are residential or business customer. If its business, no Setanta. If its residential then email [email]alwaysonforsport@@eircom.net[/email] with your ip address/dsl phone number/account number giving the error. They should email back with whats wrong.

Cheers man, I don't care about Setanta, What I am happy about is I know Eircom have been lying about my connection when I asked could I upgrade to 4meg (Lines capable) to get the 10meg, but no its only for "business customers", what a joke of a company this is lol

Nick

rc28 wrote: »
    I think their line checker is broken today- I put mine and many of my neighbours numbers through it and it says we are all eligible because we are on the blanchardstown exchange. Last time I checked we were part of the dunshaughlin exchange which is pretty far from blanch!

Funny I'm pritty sure I'm on the Ballyboden exchange but its saying Terenure one today (I'd be much nearer ballyboden one and I'm sure I got that result last time I checked), must be a bug in it so :D

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

rc28 wrote: »

my number is showing up as the blanchardstown exchange on the smart line checker now aswell, although its definately on the Dunshaughlin exchange. blanch is ~20 miles from me

Cheers man, I don't care about Setanta, What I am happy about is I know Eircom have been lying about my connection when I asked could I upgrade to 4meg (Lines capable) to get the 10meg, but no its only for "business customers", what a joke of a company this is lol

Not sure what you mean by lying. They will sell you 4-6Mbps product if your line is capable and you are willing to pay. Anything after 6Mbps is solely down to your exchange being upgraded and you line being capable.

They said no because:
    1. The person you spoke to was stupid
    or
    2. You are a residential customer and setanta is not recognising that
    or
    3. Your line in not capable of the speed you requested/exchange is not upgraded and they are somewhat doing you a favour for not selling you something they cant deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Funny I'm pritty sure I'm on the Ballyboden exchange but its saying Terenure one today (I'd be much nearer ballyboden one and I'm sure I got that result last time I checked), must be a bug in it so :D

Nick

I seemed to have moved 20 miles down the road to Athlone.:D
    We're sorry but it appears Smart Broadband is not currently available in your area. (ROSLEVIN exchange)

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean by lying. They will sell you 4-6Mbps product if your line is capable and you are willing to pay. Anything after 6Mbps is solely down to your exchange being upgraded and you line being capable.

They said no because:
    1. The person you spoke to was stupid
    or
    2. You are a residential customer and setanta is not recognising that
    or
    3. Your line in not capable of the speed you requested/exchange is not upgraded and they are somewhat doing you a favour for not selling you something they cant deliver.

I would say A as my line is capable via test for receiving up to 4 meg on ADSL technology, My dad received leaflets in the post from eircom with business broadband offers, the line is a business line its on (We have 3 lines coming into house, 1 residential, other 2 business for phone/fax etc), broadband is on the business one, the exchange I'm on (Ballyboden) is listed as 12Meg capable I remember reading so I'm sure its up to the task of 4 meg ;)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Ok, got some new info direct from an Eircom spokesperson I had emailed earlier(part of their press office). I asked specifically about the Dunshaughlin exchange and I was given permission to share the info in it;

"Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in the Dunshaughlin exchange in the next 6 to 8 weeks. The speed upgrades for these specific products will apply to all telephone exchanges nationwide for customers whose telephone line qualifies for these speeds. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

eircom is ADSL2+ enabling 117 exchanges nationwide of which Dunshaughlin is not one, however once the speed upgrades are completed, customers connected to the Dunshaughlin exchange availing of the 3Mb broadband product, and whose telephone line qualifies, will receive broadband speeds of up to 7.6Mb."

So there you go, not everyone is going to see the new speeds and I presume the adsl2+ would only be for the 12mb business packages anyway? I wonder what will happen to those on 3mb packages but whose line simply can't take the 7.6mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

My dad owns eircom he said they're upgrading the whole of ireland tomorrow :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

ban!
    we wont see them until september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

My daddy said tomorrow.

Here's eircoms control room
    http://www.barco.com/controlrooms/images/press/noc/eircom.jpg
    WARNING LARGE IMAGE FILE

well i said about 20 posts ago i was talking to a eircom guy from hq in dublin and he told me 100% we wont see upgrades until at least september. There having major problems with the 12mb business upgrades

it just annoys me when people come in posting things like that and spamming images they found off a google search..

ps first image returned off a google image search http://www.barco.com/controlrooms/images/press/noc/eircom.jpg
    look familar conceited? Foolish kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

conceited wrote: »
    My daddy said tomorrow.

Well my daddy said your daddy is full of sh*te.:p:D

Ahh lighten up lads.

I would say A as my line is capable via test for receiving up to 4 meg on ADSL technology

Sounds like they were correct not to sell you the higher products if thats the case. If you can only get up to 4Mbps currently the line probably can't take anything close to 12Mbps.

Sounds like they were correct not to sell you the higher products if thats the case. If you can only get up to 4Mbps currently the line probably can't take anything close to 12Mbps.

genius at work! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Quit trolling.

you could say that to most of the posters on this thread. I always love reading the daddy/engineer/support/next door neighbour/spokesman/boyfriend/girlfriend/best mate (select as appropriate) outlooks on these things.

It's just like being back at school, chinese whispers ftw :)

Chip's Market has cases of canned pears on sale next Wednesday, cheap.

becomes

A pair of Martian spaceships has sailed in and landed next to Wendy's jeep.

and suddenly everyone's hiding in their basement and wearing tinfoil hats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement