Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

bbanswers wrote: »
    Sounds like they were correct not to sell you the higher products if thats the case. If you can only get up to 4Mbps currently the line probably can't take anything close to 12Mbps.

I know my stats arn't mind blowing but they should enough please see attached image, Please note if there was a mis understanding, I wished to upgrade to the 4meg package to avail of the 10meg upgrade promised, which is speculated to be using ADSL2 technology so my line should have no issiues with it

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

He's just pointing out that about 20 people in this thread think they know whats going on when in reality nobody knows :pac:

Well the email I posted wasn't fake and it gives details of "6-8 weeks" and it clears up what technology they will be using for the upgrade too. I simply emailed their press office which any of you can do if you have any questions about your own exchange- they reply quickly enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Iago wrote: »
    you could say that to most of the posters on this thread. I always love reading the daddy/engineer/support/next door neighbour/spokesman/boyfriend/girlfriend/best mate (select as appropriate) outlooks on these things.

Pm me and I will forward you on the email I got from eircom, then you can mail them your own questions. Why would I go to the bother of lying??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbanswers

rc28 wrote: »
    Well the email I posted wasn't fake and it gives details of "6-8 weeks" and it clears up what technology they will be using for the upgrade too. I simply emailed their press office which any of you can do if you have any questions about your own exchange- they reply quickly enough too.

And so Eircom has 6-8 weeks before a new press office stance is needed. No definitive date, it will happen soon, the rest is speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

today i spoke to a young guy from bb technical support about the upgrades and he reckons itll be sometime in the next 2 months but they dont even know themselves the actual date
    i suppose that means its not gonna be happening in the next few days or the staff would probably know about it by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

bonoman66 wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough to be on a 4Mb Business Connection with Eircom (not saying I'm lucky to be with Eircom just the line spec!) & have received a call from them this morning indicating I'm due to be upgraded to 10Mb next Monday (May 12th). They told me to expect approx 1 hours downtime but didn't say when it would happen. Also asked if I'd been sent a new modem in the post but I explained I'd flashed the current one I have with their latest firmware which according to them makes it ADSL2+ compatible. I live in the Celbridge Area. Hopefully all will go to plan! I'll post back on progress sometime Monday etc..
    How do you flash the router?

If the upgrades are due, then I should probably upgrade the firmware on this one (2247-02).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

conceited, warning given to you for acting the muppet& posting large files, nuxxx if you have issues with a user its more helpful to report the post then call for the user to be banned within a thread as mods don't always get time to review all threads all the time :)

Additionally nuxxx its not your decision for a user to be banned for something,

Cabaal,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

ye sorry cabaal:)

but i for one upgraded to 3 mb in hope of receiving the big upgrade and seeing such posts seriously annoy me

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Would you not have waited for the upgrades to happen before moving to the 3Mbps package.

Would you not have waited for the upgrades to happen before moving to the 3Mbps package.

hmm no, i was on 2mb , 2mb was due to be upgraded to 3mb
    So i upgraded to 3mb for a extra few bob a month to recieve 7.6 mb, am i missing something here?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

nuxxx wrote: »
    hmm no, i was on 2mb , 2mb was due to be upgraded to 3mb
    So i upgraded to 3mb for a extra few bob a month to recieve 7.6 mb, am i missing something here?:rolleyes:
    Well going by your previous post your main reason for moving to the 3Mbps package was for the upgrade to 7.6Mbps. If that's the case then there's no real need to move to the 3Mbps package until eircom have made the upgrades. You'd still be able to get the new 7.6Mbps package for the same cost per month once the upgrade happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Cabaal wrote: »
    conceited, warning given to you for acting the muppet& posting large files, nuxxx if you have issues with a user its more helpful to report the post then call for the user to be banned within a thread as mods don't always get time to review all threads all the time :)

Additionally nuxxx its not your decision for a user to be banned for something,

Cabaal,

Yea Cabaal, you are dead right. Conceited should be get a serious warning, 'cos his dad has sure made a big mess of things (nuxxx, maybe you should just shoot him instead of trying to get him banned).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

What is the email address to contact the Eircom Press Office???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

simi956 wrote: »
    What is the email address to contact the Eircom Press Office???

press_office@eircom.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

A helpful person at Digiweb, when I asked about the speed increases had said i was on the 7meg option, and confirmed the upgrades would be happening in the first week of July. I'll take it with a pinch of salt though, at least my modem is ADSL2+ capable, so the upgrade will be automatic. Though at this point, I am thinking switching to Metro might be a faster option than waiting on eircon to get the lead out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheCrimsonClown

A helpful person at Digiweb, when I asked about the speed increases had said i was on the 7meg option, and confirmed the upgrades would be happening in the first week of July. I'll take it with a pinch of salt though, at least my modem is ADSL2+ capable, so the upgrade will be automatic. Though at this point, I am thinking switching to Metro might be a faster option than waiting on eircon to get the lead out.

They've also said I'll be upgraded to 7meg although they didn't give me a time frame.

DigiWeb didn't happen to state if they would increase the download limit upon having the new speeds did they? I'm just praying that my statistics are reset once this new speed comes into place as they're supposed to be once you upgrade to a new package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

kaizersoze wrote: »

nice one

i just lashed a mail off to them there looking for an update on the technology being upgraded (ADSL or ADSL2+) and the current scheduled completion date.

not expecting much back tbh

nice one

i just lashed a mail off to them there looking for an update on the technology being upgraded (ADSL or ADSL2+) and the current scheduled completion date.

not expecting much back tbh

I have also mailed them!

fair play to them on a fast reply although the reply was not good news,if anyones interested here it is both sides of the conversation:

Hi There
    I am currently on eircom 3 meg broadband
    serviced by the summerhill exchange
    in dublin city centre north.I was wondering
    when the upgrade to 7.6 meg will be taking
    place as it was promised in june and june is
    nearly over now with no sign of the upgrade
    thank you

Hi ****

Thanks for the email.

The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the last number of months and will continue throughout the next 6 to 8 weeks. We have extended the list of exchanges that will be upgraded which has naturally had an impact on our date for completion of all upgrades.

If your telephone line is connected to the Summerhill exchange, then speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in this exchange in the next 6 to 8 weeks. The speed upgrades for these specific products will apply to all telephone exchanges nationwide for customers whose telephone line qualifies for these speeds. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

The Summerhill exchange was ADSL2+ enabled earlier this year. Customers served on the Summerhill exchange who wish to avail of our 12Mb product, and whose telephone line qualifies, can contact our broadband customer service team on 1800 242 558 to place an order.

Best Regards

Press Officer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm not sure if it's unclear for some people but the 7.6 package is planned for DSL technology not ADSL2+ technology. So don't get your hopes up.

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's unclear for some people but the 7.6 package is planned for DSL technology not ADSL2+ technology. So don't get your hopes up.

i dont care if my 7.6 is delivered by magic as long as i get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

Has anyone ever bothered to map attenuation in cities?

This would be a great google maps project.
    Just stick a placemark and your attenuation into the map.

I'm not hopeful that the upgrade will be of much benefit as my downstream attenuation is 44db.

eircom 3Mb.

Has anyone ever bothered to map attenuation in cities?

This would be a great google maps project.
    Just stick a placemark and your attenuation into the map.

I'm not hopeful that the upgrade will be of much benefit as my downstream attenuation is 44db.

eircom 3Mb.
    When I lived in Drumcondra on the Upper Drumcondra Road my line attenuation was 16/8 from the Whitehall exchange. Drumcondra is split between Whitehall and Summerhill but I was on the former. Anyway I attached the stats for that area if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

delllat wrote: »
    i dont care if my 7.6 is delivered by magic as long as i get it!

Unless your amongst a very fortunate few, you won't get 7.6 on adsl1. You will need a very strong line.

my attenuation on eircom is 9/8 db lol0r
    not here in tallaght on this poo ntl connection :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

whats good/bad with noise/attenuation? this is mine below.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 15.75 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 29.49 11.50
    CRC Errors 1 0

whats good/bad with noise/attenuation? this is mine below.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 15.75 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 29.49 11.50
    CRC Errors 1 0

ur stats are medium highish in both but there not bad

What would be max attenuation required for 7.6Mb? I know i can inprove these numbers as the DSL is connected from a bedroom where the wire (not great quality) goes into another bedroom which is linked to the main socket in the hall via medium quality cable. UTV got eircom to relay the connection up to the house when i switched from IBB so that should be good in the hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

tatistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 3072 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 13.1 dB 17.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 43.0 dB 20.0 dB
    Output Power 0.1 dBm 12.3 dBm

can some decipher that into good /bad please

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement