Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Praetorian wrote: »
    Unless your amongst a very fortunate few, you won't get 7.6 on adsl1. You will need a very strong line.

i have a good line,i tested it and the tester reckons il get 8meg on adsl1 or 23 meg on adsl 2 cause i live just a few hundred meters from the summerhill exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

delllat wrote: »
    i have a good line,i tested it and the tester reckons il get 8meg on adsl1 or 23 meg on adsl 2 cause i live just a few hundred meters from the summerhill exchange

which tester is this.

irishgeo wrote: »
    which tester is this.

there is an adsl2 tester a few pages back on this thread,im sure the exact addresss of it but u can enter ur details and based on that info it can estimate what speed u should be able to achieve on adsl 1 and also 2

im sure someone will post who knows the exact address of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

delllat wrote: »
    there is an adsl2 tester a few pages back on this thread,im sure the exact addresss of it but u can enter ur details and based on that info it can estimate what speed u should be able to achieve on adsl 1 and also 2

im sure someone will post who knows the exact address of it

here it is again folks

http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

crap according to that, i am not going to get much more than 3mb.

damn eircom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Well speak with your feet people. If you can't get much more than 3 m/bit, move down to the lower package and save yourselves a few quid. Maybe if Eircom cop on that they'll lose a load of revenue they'll make the right decision:

1 & 3 m/bit packages on adsl1 tech
    7.6 & 10 & 12 & over packages on adsl2+.

It's so obvious... I figured it out, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

58/31 dB

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im just over 2km from my exchange and got these results

attenuation: 37
    sn margin: 21
    sync: 3072/384

maximum line connection speed using adsl1: 8128Kbps
    IP Profile Set adsl: 7.15Mbps
    ADSL2+ maximum line connection speed: 12542Kbps
    ADSL2+ maximum IP throughput speed: 11099Kbps

Ive a funny feeling those results are lying to me. it says that I should get just over 7meg using ADSL1 and im over 2km from the exchange. My line was originally installed 5 years ago as an ISDN line and then downgraded to DSL. I cant imagine im gonna get anywhere near 7meg living this far away from my exchange using adsl1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ok, this thread is now officially boring. I'm a techie, but all I want is my broadband speeds increased - not learn about the ins & outs of ADSL, noise margins, attenuation, ADSL2+ etc, etc… yawn.

I'm lucky enough to be in an area covered by NTL - I'd never thought I would consider going back to them, but they are offering 20Mb broadband from July 1st for €40. You plug it in, and apperntly it just works - no checking your noise margins or anything! :)

Screw this will they / won't they upgrade lark. I'm off…

/Rant

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most of us dont have that option to leave, the majority of us outside of Dublin City are stuck with Eircom Broadband or their resellers which is the same thing. We have no other choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Nice tester. I'm less than a kilometer from my exchange, so ADSL gets 8128Kbps and ADSL2+ gets 20700Kbps. If only I could actually get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

just rang em..was ment to be today BUT! (3 meg to 7.6meg downloads with BT)

said it was 4-6 weeks, so that means 6 months i suppose!

today is 27/june/08.

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm absolutely furious with Eircom now- NTL is now offering 20mb for 40euro(with unlimited downloads) while Eircom's best business package of 12mb is 170euro p/m. Of course I know ntl use completely different tech but in other countries people cant get 24mb over phone lines. What can be done to get rid of this mess? Why aren't more exchanges being unbundled?:mad:

I feel the same way, its so annoying, theres often coments made like 'sure you dont have to use eircom use smart or ntl etc' but the fact is most of us dont have that choice, we are stuck with eircom and their resellers. Ive a feeling i'll be along time waiting for my exchange to be unblundled, maybe up to 10 years or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

mattman wrote: »
    just rang em..was ment to be today BUT! (3 meg to 7.6meg downloads with BT)

said it was 4-6 weeks, so that means 6 months i suppose!

today is 27/june/08.

m.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rc28 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely furious with Eircom now- NTL is now offering 20mb for 40euro(with unlimited downloads) while Eircom's best business package of 12mb is 170euro p/m. Of course I know ntl use completely different tech but in other countries people cant get 24mb over phone lines. What can be done to get rid of this mess? Why aren't more exchanges being unbundled?:mad:

huh? on ntl's site it says the max is 20 mb with the ultra package.....is that getting upgraded to 20 meg? i think i can actually get ntl in my area so.....might be worth switching.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Kirby wrote: »
    huh? on ntl's site it says the max is 20 mb with the ultra package.....is that getting upgraded to 20 meg? i think i can actually get ntl in my area so.....might be worth switching.

The 12mb package is being upgraded to 20mb/1.5mb, 6mb to 10mb/1mb and 1m to 3m.

So yes definitely worth switching.

Eircom have broken their promise, now if their next target date is to be believed (6 to 8 weeks) then i'll make a guess and say that our broadband will be boosted around the 20th/25th August or thereabouts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

It's very annoying. Well played by NTL though, must be some red faces at Eircom after this. And deservedly so. They're a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

20/1.5mbits Uncapped for €40 a month including VAT , it will be a stampede by this time next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm in disbelief that UPC didn't put some kind of premium on the 20m/bit package. It's unbelievable value. Hello Eircom?

I wish more people who can avail of NTL Broadband use them instead of opting for Eircom, there are plenty of residential homes out there all over Dublin and other cabled areas that still think Eircom Broadband is the way to go. The more people who can switch to NTL and Smart in our cities and large towns the better, I wish NTL would do a bit more public advertising on the TV boosting that their speeds have leap-frogged Eircoms many times over for a fraction of the price. Maybe then Eircom would get the finger out and offer us better speeds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

NTL! come to Rathdrum!... please!

*wonders off muttering something about damning Eircon and download speeds crap...*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Let me know if you get 20mb 24 hours a day 7 days a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

bk wrote: »
    The 12mb package is being upgraded to 20mb/1.5mb, 6mb to 10mb/1mb and 1m to 3m.

So yes definitely worth switching.
    Source? Never mind found the thread. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

You're on BT aren't you? Let us know if you get more than 3megs... ever :pac:

I'm in the same boat though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Praetorian wrote: »
    I'm in disbelief that UPC didn't put some kind of premium on the 20m/bit package. It's unbelievable value. Hello Eircom?
    why oh why did i sign up to utv for another 6 months for 23€ a month for 3 (working well) crappy megs in may..... :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Umm, I'm STUCK with Eircom so how can I go find out whether I can get 20mb, can you get more than 3mb anytime soon?....didn't think so.

On the ntl thread people who have already been upgraded to the 12mb package are seeing 12mb speeds.

Umm, I'm STUCK with Eircom so how can I go find out whether I can get 20mb, can you get more than 3mb anytime soon?....didn't think so.

On the ntl thread people who have already been upgraded to the 12mb package are seeing 12mb speeds.

eircom offered to upgrade me to 12 meg yesterday instantly but for 170 a month(probly excluding vat and line rental)

if i want my free upgrade to 7.6 meg il have to wait 6-8 more weeks for it

total bull**** since the technology is alreday in place in my exchqange and if im willing to give them more cash NOW i can have it NOW but if i want the upgrades we were promised NOW thats totally impossible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    20/1.5mbits Uncapped for €40 a month including VAT , it will be a stampede by this time next week.

I am in sandycove area and since 2005 I have been checking the NTL website for BB service in my aera,no joy still but once they are available here I am switching straight away.
    6mb €30 is a good price and with the updates coming online soon
    Wish they would hurry up Its available in Dun Laoghaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement