Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Change network provider when yee get the chance, even its only reseller like BT, Irish Broadband, or Vodafone, at least its something to hurt those *****.

We have put up with this crap too long, anyone who cares about broadband in this country should leave those Aussie cowboys when they get the chance.

My friends 4mb Business line has yet to be upgraded ( suppose to be max May ), we will be waiting months.BT's 8mb LLU is suppose to be ready in september where I live, if not I will go to Magnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Change network provider when yee get the chance, even its only reseller like BT, Irish Broadband, or Vodafone, at least its something to hurt those *****.

We have put up with this crap too long, anyone who cares about broadband in this country should leave those Aussie cowboys when they get the chance.

My friends 4mb Business line has yet to be upgraded ( suppose to be max May ), we will be waiting months.BT's 8mb LLU is suppose to be ready in september where I live, if not I will go to Magnet.

Every business operates to make money, eircom is making money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

From BT:
    There has unfortunately been a delay in the roll-out of the Broadband speed upgrades communicated in our recent Consumer mailing. This is due to a delay at eircom Wholesale. As soon as the issue causing the delay in speed upgrades has been resolved by eircom, we will then be able to roll-out the speed increases. When this happens, we will be upgrading BT broadband customers from 2 - 3Mb and from 3 to 7.6Mb. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

BT Residential Technical Support

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

hellboy99 wrote: »
    From BT:

no 6-8 weeks mentioned there :(

2009 I fear .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 StabCity

Sponge Bob wrote: »

thats because BT do not lie to customers AFAIK, look what eircom did, they promised us upgrades this month and it looks like we will be waiting for anything between another month and two years :mad:

• Advertisement

2009 I fear .
    Looks like BT just don't know when it will happen. I was told a few days ago by a member of BT tech that the issues Eircom are having and the state of a lot of the lines in the country that what lines can be upgraded will be looking towards August to late October, but many of us just won't be able to be upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Disgraceful behaviour to come out and promise faster speed for June and not deliver...

Just for that I'm going to exceed my 30Gb cap again....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think eircom are just doing their usual marketing nonsense because they're terrified of UPC. All of a sudden the cable market's been woken up and there are widepsread 20mbit/s products on offer at lower prices. eircom have been used to having two cable companies competiting with them who relied on BBC as a unique selling point and never had any serious cash to invest. That situation's changed drastically and UPC are going after eircom's core business : voice telephony services!!

I'd say eircom have announced the product early as they're panicing as they hadn't bothered to buy the ADSL2+ equipment they've been promising to buy for years.

They're just going to lose a huge number of customers to UPC and Smart etc if they don't get their finger out.

UPC's an even bigger threat to eircom than Smart as every customer that switches dumps their eircom line completely and they lose the line rental revenues that they're so over-dependent on.

So, I'd suspect this is definitely a hyper-marketing with limited substance behind it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Solair wrote: »
    They're just going to lose a huge number of customers to UPC and Smart etc if they don't get their finger out.

UPC's an even bigger threat to eircom than Smart as every customer that switches dumps their eircom line completely and they lose the line rental revenues that they're so over-dependent on.

So, I'd suspect this is definitely a hyper-marketing with limited substance behind it.

Sadly they won't, unfortunately alot of people are afraid of change and while people in their 20's and 30's may have no problem changing telco providers and porting their number to UPC Eircoms older customers who I'd imagine are their core customer base don't want to do such things and don't really care all that much about very fast broadband.

Yes people can make massive savings by changing telco providers like moving their phone to UPC if they already have TV & Internet but most people just don't look into things enough to realise just how much they could save....we've worked out all the savings many of times on the VoIP forum :)

Yes UPC is a threat to Eircom most likely bigger then Smart...especially when it comes to internet access however UPC the same as Smart only offer there services in citys and as such Eircom can still do what they want in smaller towns and villages throughout Ireland as they have no competition.

This all seems like a awful planning or marketing mistake by Eircom or a ploy to generate new business for Eircom, however given its Eircom either could be very true....whichever is true I'm not going to get into the tinfoil hat debate regarding how its been advertised and why etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

latest word from dublin engineer from hq eircom is early 2009

i predict a riot:confused:

edit: I mean residential packages such as 2mb and 3 mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

nuxxx wrote: »
    latest word from dublin engineer from hq eircom is early 2009

i predict a riot:confused:

edit: I mean residential packages such as 2mb and 3 mb

They better raise this in the Dail, unacceptable behaviour imo.

I think the engineers were asked to do too much with too little money and too little ADS2+ gear.

Now UPC are gonna feast on the carcass becuase UPC know that if there is no money for ADSL2+ gear to feasibly deliver widespread 3 mbits then there is no money for VDSL2 gear to deliver 20 mbits in the cities either .

Do remember that over 50% of eircoms ADSL connections are 1mbits who were not getting an upgrade anyway and likely did not want it in many cases .....or would do much better on ADSL2+ either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I think the engineers were asked to do too much with too little money and too little ADS2+ gear.
    [\QUOTE]

I personally think unless eircom spend the millions required which it seems they wont then they will start to lose customers in the long term. The telephones are not suitable to speeds eircom advertised and only a small number would probably get a reliable service if any.

UPC/BT want to offer faster speeds as they know the market is crying out for it in ireland by everyone. BT have LLU which is ADSL2+ so maybe BT could sell this to eircom :) unless eircom have an alternative plan to offer the
    7.6mbps which i cant see at the moment.

A case of watch this space.

I personally think unless eircom spend the millions required which it seems they wont then they will start to lose customers in the long term.

The long term is here today, you can jump from 2mbit-3mbit ADSL to 20Mbit cable in the big cities , at the same price and the big cities is where eircom makes its money .

I can just imagine the ads where UPC claims to be 10 times faster than eircom and for the same price ...starting tomorrow I would think :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The long term is here today, you can jump from 2mbit-3mbit ADSL to 20Mbit cable in the big cities , at the same price and the big cities is where eircom makes its money .

I can just imagine the ads where UPC claims to be 10 times faster than eircom and for the same price ...starting tomorrow I would think :)

I know if I was still living in a NTL covered area I'd certainly be going for NTL's offering right now, I have NTL for almost 2 years and while it went down from time to time I could always get the full 3MB of my 3MB connection

The real inflection point is that we will now see the cities rapidly move away from the country in terms of speed , as they would have long ago in any country but Ireland .

The laws of physics make it inevitably so.

is eircon.ie registered?:pac::pac:

public could really stick it to them on a community site although boards is doing a great job at the moment ;)

The real inflection point is that we will now see the cities rapidly move away from the country in terms of speed , as they would have long ago in any country but Ireland .

The laws of physics make it inevitably so.

Could not agree more, the availability of dsl in rural or even alot of small towns is non existent. I was very lucky in my previous location of a small rural village to get DSL from eircom, very lucky.. Previously before this i had bills of 200 old irish pounds from 56k bills

It looks like the cable suppliers will be the new kings, i just hope smart expand and exploit eircom. Eircom could end up crushed

nuxxx wrote: »
    is eircon.ie registered?:pac::pac:

public could really stick it to them on a community site although boards is doing a great job at the moment ;)

no but www.eircomsucks.com is registered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

This should be covered by the media in the morning .. Eircom got a lot of coverage when they announced these upgrades .. they should get the opposite due to their failure to honour their promises.

Anyone know any email addresses of news people that we can ask to highlight this .. and maybe embarass Eircom into at least acknowledging the issue and maybe giving a public commitment of a date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cabaal wrote: »
    no but www.eircomsucks.com is registered
    Doesn't get updated much, unfortunately.

Eircom have announced three projects in effect and only have the money for tow out of three .

1. 330 ( mainly rural ) exchanges to get ADSL , bits done , possibly 30-50 close or finished. Announced early 2007

2. 200 ( all urban large cities) sites to get fibre and VDSL2 cabinets , 2 or 3 done in Dublin for trials. Announced late 2006 .

3. 120 exchanges ( not sure where PM me please) exchanges to get ADSL2+ , status unknown announcement unknown but first tranche were all Dublin and were announced here in early 2008

It may be that announcement two became announcement three owing to cash issues and that 1 and 3 are what will happen. In the absence of action on announcement 2 eircom will be murdered in their most lucrative markets and the likes of Smart and BT will easily match them on service while beaing them on price .

I can see the rural project getting chopped urgently even though all the 330 exchanges are marked on the NBS map which is visible below and with the "yet to be done" exchanges marked in blue...see north Galway for example .

pdfsmall.jpg

But eircom cannot compete in the country and in the city at the same time, something will give I fear :(

I'm not gonna wait any longer, think I'll switch to Smart, can't be any worse than BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I have just emailed the Eircom Press Office. I'll report back, hopefully tomorrow, upon receiving a reply.

I swear to ****, if there was UPC broadband coverage in Tralee, I'd switch over in a second. My original hometown just got it, finally. UPC need to quicken up their network building, and then they will for sure kill Eircom.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I'm not gonna wait any longer, think I'll switch to Smart, can't be any worse than BT.

understatement of the year

smart are a amazing isp. You`ll never look back

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it sickens me that I cant get either Smart or UPC, the majority of the country are in the same boat as me, stuck with Eircom and its resellers, It wouldnt take a second of a thought for me to switch away from Eircom if that option was available to me, if UPC and Smart were in most cities, towns and large villages Eircom would be destroyed. I expect this situation to get worse over the coming years, Dublin city, Cork and parts of Galway, Limerick and Waterford will get world standard broadband but the rest of us out in the sticks will be left with copper wire dsl broadband between 1 and 8 meg, download caps and excessive prices for at least another 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

I've sent an email to Morning Ireland outlining eircom's broken promises.

Despite being in Dublin 14, my UPC cable is too old (checked today) to support broadband or I'd be an ex-eircom customer.

The evening disconnects have become dreadful over the past week.
    emails just get the stock response about calling phone support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Same here, if cable was available in castlebar and westport like Ntl/chorus promised so many years ago.

Even the new MAN's seem to bypass us again.

For now i'm stuck with BT and Sky.

Might just end up moving back to Galway just to get faster speeds!:cool:

As for me 2Mbit upgrade to 3 :( . Why not send this graphic to their press office with every email :)

Eirconslowconnect.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

That is brilliant. Did you Photoshop that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement