Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No , it lay around here some years back so I saved it to photobucket for timely recycling .

Please use it freely , eg mails to Joe Duffy and to all media outlets . Yer man the Fat Rat is a Comreg Commissioner now did you know ?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I've sent an email to Morning Ireland outlining eircom's broken promises.

Despite being in Dublin 14, my UPC cable is too old (checked today) to support broadband or I'd be an ex-eircom customer.

The evening disconnects have become dreadful over the past week.
    emails just get the stock response about calling phone support.

Eircom are balls, but i hate people who do this ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Same here, if cable was available in castlebar and westport like Ntl/chorus promised so many years ago.

Even the new MAN's seem to bypass us again.

For now i'm stuck with BT and Sky.

Might just end up moving back to Galway just to get faster speeds!:cool:

Why on earth did UPC not put down the cables when the gas was being put in these towns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Skyuser wrote: »
    Why on earth did UPC not put down the cables when the gas was being put in these towns?
    I think they like to lay new tarmac and dig it up again and repeat that for a few years till their tarmac laying skills are elite. Then they move onto man hole covers and lay them 6 inches above the tarmac great craic.
    It's an irish tradition of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

Eircom are balls, but i hate people who do this ^

Who do what?

To me, it's unacceptable that the 3Mbit package for which I pay a considerable amount of money is perfect during the day and at around 9 P.M., it drops every few minutes, resyncing at lower speeds.

I have telephoned eircom support many times, have had my line checked by an engineer and have used the master socket.

My options to use an alternate provider are limited as I have no IBB line of sight and my UPC cable is too old.
    I do have a requirement to retain my land line.

In a modern capital city of one of the EU's richest countries, this service should be standard.

It is a further disgrace that many in rural areas are stuck on dialup or 1Mbit broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

has anybody got upgrades?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no the upgrades have been put on hold for the forseeable future untill eircom can sort out their 'technical issues'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

prolly early 2009

its sickening how eircom Promised these speeds , let the entire country down, then out of no where ntl throw out 20 mb updates for basically free

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brian kay

I tryed to get 12mb ntl in my house in Ballincollig cork with no luck but they can give me digital:mad: and i can't get smarth:eek: so i'm stuck with Eircom :) yeah(not:p)

So i decided to try upgrade my 2mb to 3mb yesterday so i would get the 7.6mb upgrade so after waiting 30 mins on the phone i got onto someone and i asked him when will the upgrade take afect and i was told august:o?

so i said nice one upgrade me please so he TRYED i was told that he was having a problem upgrading from 2 to 3 mb he tryed twice with no luck so he passed me onto a support rep 30 more mins wait and he couldn't get it to work:mad::mad::mad: i was told to ring back today:confused: fookin muppets can't even get their own gear working

So it's not just in the sticks where people are being messed about i only live 6 miles fron cork city and ballincollig is a big village and has S?!t broadband service. come one smarth or ntl :(:(:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom are saying 6 to 8 weeks for the upgrades to happen, they had 6 months to get the upgrade done by end of June and didnt deliver so im not so sure I believe them with the 6 to 8 weeks either. I'll reckon we'll get our upgrade to 7.6meg someday between now and January 2010 (bearing in mind that once the upgrade does kick in that most of us wont see the full 7.6meg anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 brian kay

Ya that sound more like it. im on 1.7 on my 2 mb.i think i'llwait till next year and see if smart or ntl pull the finger out :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Doesn't get updated much, unfortunately.

I guess they read boards.ie as its been updated now www.eircomsucks.com,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Was talking to a guy in BT Tech support earlier, appartently BT support have been getting numberous calls from customers asking what is going on and saying that they want to terminate their service with them. I asked as to what the delay was and all he said was that it could be 2010 for all he knew, and that Eircom will not tell them as to what the problem is and if I could switch to a better provider then to do so.
    They have lost a lot of customers in the past week already according to him and he is with UPC for his broadband :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

My email to Eircom yesterday.
    Hi,

I'm currently on the 3Mb Residential Broadband package. I was expecting a speed increase going up to 7.6Mb in June. We're into July now and there has been no official word on when these upgrades would occur or if there has been any delays.

If I may also ask, I heard that Eircom would be ADSL2+ enabling 117 exchanges nationwide? Since Tralee is a major town, I could only assume it is possible for it to be done here. Is that going to be the case? If so, will customers going up to 7.6Mb be put on the ADSL2+ standard?

Thanks,
    DECEiFER

Eircom's reply to me.
    Hi DECEiFER

Thank you for your email.

The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the last number of months and will continue throughout the next 6 to 8 weeks. We have extended the list of exchanges that will be upgraded which has naturally had an impact on our date for completion of all upgrades.

If your telephone line is connected to the Tralee exchange, then speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in this exchange in the next 6 to 8 weeks. The speed upgrades for these specific products will apply to all telephone exchanges nationwide for customers whose telephone line qualifies for these speeds. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb. The 3Mb broadband product upgrade to 7.6Mb will not utilise ADSL2+ technology.

The Tralee exchange was ADSL2+ enabled last month. Customers served on this exchange who wish to avail of our 12Mb product, and whose telephone line qualifies, can contact our broadband customer service team on 1800 242 558 to place an order.

Best Regards

[name removed]
    Press Officer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

eircom have us all by the sack with this upgrade fiasco

most of us are stuck on eircom (or a reseller) and just have to put up with this crap. If any of you can actually get UPC then go for it... only way they'll get the message

Here in Dunshaughlin the MAN has in place for a while now afaik, and i havn't seen 1 benifit from having it completed. still same old eircom, still the same old speeds. whats the bloody point in these things?

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Eircom's reply to me.
    The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the last number of months and will continue throughout the next 6 to 8 weeks.
    Believe it when i see it, 6 - 8 months more like, they have had long enough so far.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Believe it when i see it, 6 - 8 months more like, they have had long enough so far.
    Yeah, and with all our emails stating 6-8 weeks, if they dared pull a stunt like that again, we could really do damage to them. Their word would forever be disbelieved going forward. The trust in them would be gone, that even some of their most dedicated customers demonstrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Actually, Eircom claims that they have upgraded n exchanges already... So is there any boards reader that has got those speed improvements?

maybe worth asking what exchanges have been upgraded. If ericom doesn't volunteer such list (which is what I expect), than its probably save to say that nothing has happened at all so far...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah, and with all our emails stating 6-8 weeks, if they dared pull a stunt like that again, we could really do damage to them. Their word would forever be disbelieved going forward. The trust in them would be gone, that even some of their most dedicated customers demonstrate.

What word and what trust???? :confused::confused:

Where have you been? Eircom is one of the most hated and most distrusted companies in Ireland. Seriously they have no reputation to protect, it is pretty much dirt.

This is the company who for years has been doing everything possible to stop or slow down the introduction of BB in Ireland and any sort of competition. This is the company responsible for Ireland being so far behind the rest of Europe in terms of BB availability, speed and pricing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

maybe worth asking what exchanges have been upgraded. If ericom doesn't volunteer such list (which is what I expect), than its probably save to say that nothing has happened at all so far...

It is possible (very likely) that they have already upgraded all the gear in most of the exchanges already, but that doesn't mean anyone is getting the higher speeds yet. The speeds users get is controlled by the profile that Eircom sets for each customer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cabaal wrote: »
    I guess they read boards.ie as its been updated now www.eircomsucks.com,

Hmm, it's a pity they don't send supermodels to my house.

*crosses fingers*

bk wrote: »
    What word and what trust???? :confused::confused:

Where have you been? Eircom is one of the most hated and most distrusted companies in Ireland. Seriously they have no reputation to protect, it is pretty much dirt.

This is the company who for years has been doing everything possible to stop or slow down the introduction of BB in Ireland and any sort of competition. This is the company responsible for Ireland being so far behind the rest of Europe in terms of BB availability, speed and pricing.
    True, but you're forgetting one thing. Eircom still have a lot of trust in the older population, who have been with them for so long, and have never had to complain about them. Even though they know they can get broadband cheaper, they will opt for Eircom, because they trust them more than the other re-seller companies. I see it all the time. People have asked me for recommendations, and I would say BT or someone to them, but they'd go against that and buy Eircom, citing that they don't want the hassle of going with a new company.

Does that sound like severe distrust to you?

So, if they lie again and the speeds are delayed longer than the 6-8 weeks they have promised in those emails, then that last bit of trust they have from those people is sure to be crumbled.

True, but you're forgetting one thing. Eircom still have a lot of trust in the older population, who have been with them for so long, and have never had to complain about them. Even though they know they can get broadband cheaper, they will opt for Eircom, because they trust them more than the other re-seller companies. I see it all the time. People have asked me for recommendations, and I would say BT or someone to them, but they'd go against that and buy Eircom, citing that they don't want the hassle of going with a new company.

Does that sound like severe distrust to you?

Yes, it is a severe case of better the devil you know.
    So, if they lie again and the speeds are delayed longer than the 6-8 weeks they have promised in those emails, then that last bit of trust they have from those people is sure to be crumbled.

No it won't, to those people you described above, Eircom have done far worse things (their IPO cost many ordinary folk €1000's for instance), this is a relatively minor issue compared to what they have done in the past.

BTW given the UPC 20mb for €40 you can bet that everything has changed, Eircom will now be scrambling to get faster BB out their ASAP.

Yes, it is a severe case of better the devil you know.

No it won't, to those people you described above, Eircom have done far worse things (their IPO cost many ordinary folk €1000's for instance), this is a relatively minor issue compared to what they have done in the past.

BTW given the UPC 20mb for €40 you can bet that everything has changed, Eircom will now be scrambling to get faster BB out their ASAP.

I don't know, I'm not so sure about that latter statement. BT in England offer up to 8Mb on all packages, depending on RA. They still utilize regular ADSL. Yet, Virgin Media (Telewest and NTL merger in the UK) have the same speeds on offer as UPC does here, and have done for a bit longer. Not to mention that Virgin Media cover a lot more ground, as a percentage of land and population, than UPC do.

Touching on the former, since Eircom have done far worse in the past, it could end up being a x amount of strikes and you're out! However it works, one thing's for sure, it can't do them any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

The announcement of the speed increase was made in January by Comreg as advised by Eircom. Comreg, who like most regulators in this country are toothless, were trying to curry favour by announcing the increases as if they had done a great thing for the downtrodden masses. They have never done anything. They should be embarrassed by having announced that this was going to happen and then seeing the deadlines pass and eircom jerking people about with 6 to 8 more weeks. But Comreg probably had a big staff party after the announcement in January and havent given it another thought since. They probably assume that eircom have delivered the goods as promised and have moved on to bigger and better things. What they should be doing is making a public show of the crap that eircom get away with and suing/fining their asses. As well as the public being again treated like **** the other losers are the resellers like UTV, Perlico and BT who are getting flak and losing customers through no fault of their own. I hope they are raising the issue with Comreg, but they, like us, might wonder what's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

It is possible (very likely) that they have already upgraded all the gear in most of the exchanges already, but that doesn't mean anyone is getting the higher speeds yet. The speeds users get is controlled by the profile that Eircom sets for each customer.

I agree that this is what's probably happened, but if thats the case, then saying
    The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the last number of months

is incorrect. saying that implies that customers have received speed upgrades. Otherwise the only the infrastructure has been upgraded.

IMO they make is sound that whoever calls gets the message that others have already been upgraded, but the caller just happens to be on an exchange that is due to be upgraded in 6-8 weeks.

If nobody has received the actual upgrade they should say that... and be honest for once....

I don't know, I'm not so sure about that latter statement. BT in England offer up to 8Mb on all packages, depending on RA. They still utilize regular ADSL. Yet, Virgin Media (Telewest and NTL merger in the UK) have the same speeds on offer as UPC does here, and have done for a bit longer. Not to mention that Virgin Media cover a lot more ground, as a percentage of land and population, than UPC do.

BT in the UK has major problems unique to them, basically they use unique, non standard gear from Marconi in their current network, making it much harder and more expensive to upgrade. However they have now started work on what they call their 21st Century Network.

This is a massive project, unlike Eircom, it will serve 100% of homes in the UK and Northern Ireland, no one will be left out, it involves:

– 5500 exchanges.
    – 100% of the population.
    – 30M lines
    – Cost £10Bn

this is no small undertaking and puts Irelands so called claim of being at the center of the information age to total shame. Eircom haven't even gotten close to delivering rubbish 1m BB to even 80% of the Irish population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Actually, Eircom claims that they have upgraded n exchanges already... So is there any boards reader that has got those speed improvements?

Some of the 6mb Business users have been upgraded to 12mb, so have some 4mb users to 10mb.

No home users have been upgraded and alot of the business users ( above ) which had been promised late May are still waiting.

Eircom's reply to me.

The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the last number of months and will continue throughout the next 6 to 8 weeks.
    I got this reply today:

Hi,

Thanks for your email.

The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the last number of months and will continue throughout the next coming months. We have extended the list of exchanges that will be upgraded which has naturally had an impact on our date for completion of all upgrades.

Kind regards
    [name removed]
    Press Officer

• Advertisement

I agree that this is what's probably happened, but if thats the case, then saying

is incorrect. saying that implies that customers have received speed upgrades. Otherwise the only the infrastructure has been upgraded.

IMO they make is sound that whoever calls gets the message that others have already been upgraded, but the caller just happens to be on an exchange that is due to be upgraded in 6-8 weeks.

If nobody has received the actual upgrade they should say that... and be honest for once....
    Some business customers have been upgraded, which is their fallback, should someone give stink regarding that no residential customers received an upgrade thus far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement