Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Who do what?

To me, it's unacceptable that the 3Mbit package for which I pay a considerable amount of money is perfect during the day and at around 9 P.M., it drops every few minutes, resyncing at lower speeds.

I have telephoned eircom support many times, have had my line checked by an engineer and have used the master socket.

My options to use an alternate provider are limited as I have no IBB line of sight and my UPC cable is too old.
    I do have a requirement to retain my land line.

In a modern capital city of one of the EU's richest countries, this service should be standard.

It is a further disgrace that many in rural areas are stuck on dialup or 1Mbit broadband.

So sending complaints to some talk show is gonna help?
    Eircom are a business and can do what they want, nobody is forcing you to use Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

So sending complaints to some talk show is gonna help?
    Eircom are a business and can do what they want, nobody is forcing you to use Eircom.
    No, they can't do what they want. They have a certain flexibility as a business, of course, but they are regulated (albeit poorly). To even put Comreg in some form of power suggests that there are lines that Eircom can cross. They have crossed some of those lines throughout the years, and now, they are crossing some more again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Eircom basically own the phonelines, so yeah they are forcing you ( in towns at least ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

:rolleyes:altho eircom are pricey and they let people down with these delays including me, i still found my home connection with them extremly stable with full download speeds and low pings. I no the overall picture with them and the public is terrible, but i for one was happy with there service.

It makes even more sence to me now since im stuck on IBB and cant do anything except look at boards all evening :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

How can NTL offer faster/better packages then eircom when eircom still are urgrading their lines even know they own the lines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

How can NTL offer faster/better packages then eircom when eircom still are urgrading their lines even know they own the lines?

Because NTL/UPC use their own cable network to deliver BB and TV. Totally separate from Eircom.

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Eircom basically own the phonelines, so yeah they are forcing you ( in towns at least ).
    They have the monopoly, but nobody is forcing you to get broadband at all. But, they do bank on people who will get it, and since they are the only option available, you are forced to use them.

However, to develop my previous post further...

They promised upgrades in June. They claim that they couldn't facilitate those upgrades due to a number of extra exchanges that needed work done. Did those exchanges crop up overnight? No. They must've had an idea that the workload was increasing long before the due time in June. But, did they think to inform their customers? No, they didn't! Let's face it. A number of people have probably opted for Eircom bitstream thinking that the speed would be increasing in June. They must have known that was going to happen. I'd even go so far as to say that it was part of their plan. Also, a number of customers probably upgraded their package in good time for June thinking they were going to be getting a speed boost of sorts. This has all happened due to a steady practice of misleading their customers. As far as I'm aware, that is not allowed, and should be dealt with by the regulator. But, that's probably not going to happen. No matter how you look at it, that is not correct business practice. It shouldn't go unpunished.

Oh, let's also not forget that most of their customers are still, to this day, in the dark. Some few of us that post here know the score, and those who have emailed their press office know the score. Is it right that the customer should have to chase them for this sort of information? How about a ****ing memo, douchbags?!

Further to this, they are ruining their wholesale customers' businesses. BT, UTV, Imagine, Perlico, Digiweb, Irish Broadband... Those and more are suffering, because their customers are leaving due to a situation that is outside of their control. So, it seems Eircom just go about doing whatever they want, selfishly against their regular and wholesale customers, even if it is outside of the law or across the boundary of good business ethics.

If Comreg had the power and the balls, Eircom would be sanctioned in some form. This wouldn't fly in any other western country, only Ireland.

Does anybody have words to say in Eircom's defence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Did Eircom give an official announcement on their website that the upgrades were to be delayed?

Did Eircom give an official announcement on their website that the upgrades were to be delayed?
    That's part of my point (see my previous post). They did not inform anyone. The only way you could find out is if you emailed their press office, or if you know someone on the inside. Otherwise, no information was readily available.

I decided to give Eircom a kick in the balls, so, I emailed their Press Officer. It's harsh, but I'm in a harsh mood.
    Hello [name removed],

Then how about doing your job and making an official announcement, which would have been preferable before June. Isn't that the Press Officer's duty? You must have been aware of the extra workload, due to the new exchanges, before June. Or, did they crop up overnight and surprise you all like a Jack-in-a-box?

Even now, no such announcement has been made. This, I'm afraid, is poor business practice, and qualifies as misleading to customers who have been informed by Eircom and the Wholesale re-sellers (such as UTV and BT Ireland) by letter, that their speeds were going to be increased before the end of June.

Eircom has effectively embarrassed those re-sellers, and I hope you yourselves are too embarrassed. Customers are leaving you and your re-sellers (at no fault of their own), and I myself would leave too, if you cowboys didn't hog the phone lines and hold the monopoly. In other words, I have no better option. As soon as one crops up, and I suspect that will happen soon, I'm off. I will be advising people in the hundreds to do the same, some of which I have already being advising, who happen to live in an area where they can get faster broadband for much cheaper. UPC. Two massive and much superior speed increases within the scope of 6 months, delivered, on-time!

Please, relay this to your superiors. I think they should cop the blame for this dire situation.

Regards,
    Dave.

P.S. See attached.

(I attached the image below in this post's attachments - as seen on this thread a few pages back)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

nuxxx wrote: »
    :rolleyes:altho eircom are pricey and they let people down with these delays including me, i still found my home connection with them extremly stable with full download speeds and low pings. I no the overall picture with them and the public is terrible, but i for one was happy with there service.

It makes even more sence to me now since im stuck on IBB and cant do anything except look at boards all evening :rolleyes:

It shocks me that peoples expectations are so low. Any ISP should be able to delver a stable connection and low latency. It isn't rocket science and it is achieved without comment in most other western countries.

It seems that Eircom have done a great job of convincing us that we don''t deserve BB and we are lucky to get what ever they give us :mad:

I'm glad UPC is busy changing that mindset :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I decided to give Eircom a kick in the balls, so, I emailed their Press Officer. It's harsh, but I'm in a harsh mood.

(I attached the image below in this post's attachments - as seen on this thread a few pages back)

Well put. How do I get their address? I'd like to send a similar mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Guys

I have had to remove a number of employees names from threads and posts over the last number of weeks. This thread continues to name eircom employees and give their contact details.

Out of courtesy, please do not publish employee names or their contact details without their explicit permission, this is a long standing rule on boards.ie.

I contacted eircom today to get main contact address, it is press_office@eircom.ie .

Please do not name individuals as it is unfair and brings undue attention on them.

Thanks

Vex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Vexorg wrote: »
    Please do not name individuals as it is unfair and brings undue attention on them.
    In fairness they have brought undue attention on themselves by screwing people over again. The least they could of done was to issue a statement weeks if not months ago to say they couldn't fulfil their promise of "upgrades by end of June" to broadband customers throughout the country.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hellboy99 wrote: »
    In fairness they have brought undue attention on themselves by screwing people over again. The least they could of done was to issue a statement weeks if not months ago to say they couldn't fulfil their promise of "upgrades by end of June" to broadband customers throughout the country.

Yes perhaps in your view Eircom as a company has, but it is infair to name Eircom employees by name and its against the boards Broadband forum charter to do so for ANY company.

Any further mentions and I'll be handing out bans in-line with the charter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I appreciate your frustration, but singling out an employee is unfair.

You (the royal you:) can still get voice your displeasure at what has happened without selecting one person in the press office and dumping on them, this just makes it personal and if it were me I would be very uncomfortable, so argue with the company but not a specific employee in this public space.

V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Posting names is a joke lads. It's hardly these individuals fault that we're in this situation. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Don't worry everyone, the government say everything will be good by 2012:rolleyes:
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0703/broadband.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

OMG listen to radio1 right now- eamon ryan is bullsh*tting about how Ireland is now one of the best for broadband because a cable company announced higher speeds yesterday- is he for real?? Magnet and UPC only service a tiny proportion of the country:mad:
    When the presenter said it costs 50euro to only get 3mb broadband the TD said he was wrong and said you can now get 20mb for 30 (this is wrong too because upc charge at least 40 for that package)-- no he is not! Eircom does charge 48.50 for 3mb:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

The Government says it will deliver universal broadband access by early 2010 and that connection speeds will equal or exceed those in other EU countries by 2012.

What Ryan really means is coming 2012 we will have the same speed the other EU countries have now in 2008... :(

I can't even imaging what speeds the others will have in 4 years time - he obviously can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Praetorian wrote: »
    Posting names is a joke lads. It's hardly these individuals fault that we're in this situation. Cop on.

And although we don't know the full details of why the delays happened or if there was some political/commercial decision behind the early announcement of the upgrades, I'm sure there are some Eircom engineers etc. who are equally frustrated with the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Peanut wrote: »
    I'm sure there are some Eircom engineers etc. who are equally frustrated with the situation.

Why should they, I bet all their BB connections have been upgraded already.. :rolleyes: :D

Why should they, I bet all their BB connections have been upgraded already.. :rolleyes: :D
    Or perhaps they get their broadband off of UPC. ;)
    Vexorg wrote: »
    My apologies, I wasn't thinking about the consequences. Thanks for taking the liberty to correct the issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Peanut wrote: »
    And although we don't know the full details of why the delays happened or if there was some political/commercial decision behind the early announcement of the upgrades, I'm sure there are some Eircom engineers etc. who are equally frustrated with the situation.

I am sure they did not appreciate (they certainly should have!) how many lines would not be capable of the higher speeds. You only have to look at the Smart forums (and Smart use adsl2) to see the problems caused by increased speeds for many people.

If Eircom increased everyones speeds as they promised a huge number of people would have found themselves with problems. The other isps would suffer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

dub45 wrote: »
    If Eircom increased everyones speeds as they promised a huge number of people would have found themselves with problems. The other isps would suffer as well.
    Thats not the point, they said they could deliver by the end of June but they haven't, and not even a statement from them to say they couldn't fulfil their promise or what the delay is, very unprofessional.

Thats not the point, they said they could deliver by the end of June but they haven't, and not even a statement from them to say they couldn't fulfil their promise or what the delay is, very unprofessional.
    Indeed. We should all email their press office to show our discontent. If they were to get 30+ emails within a few days, that might be enough to piss them off. Show them that they cannot get away with this, and that we are wise to their malpractice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

were moving house next month so i can get more than 8bytes/sec upload on my 3Mb BB lol, woohoo

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I was not disputing that side of things at all - their communication is atrocious - just pointing out the reality of the situation. If Eircom increase speeds loads of people will have problems and will be worse off than before the increase.

dub45 wrote: »
    I was not disputing that side of things at all - their communication is atrocious - just pointing out the reality of the situation. If Eircom increase speeds loads of people will have problems and will be worse off than before the increase.
    If that's the case, expect a lot of complaints to wind up on these boards over it. Also, then there will be more reason to email stink to them as a result. Sure, we'll hopefully know soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Talking about communication, i think BT are getting alot of grief because of Eircom. I was talking to a BT support guy after waiting inline for 3 hours. People are ringing up mainly because of the delay.

I dont mind a delay as long as it gets done though, i was ringing them for a REAL problem. My 3mb connection...

291753681.png

So instead of up to 8mb its down to 0mb!

@ 5pm 2665kb

@ 7pm 1200kb

@ 9pm 400kb

@ 10pm 200kb

what speed comes next, i'm taking bets:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement