Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

dub45 wrote: »
    If Eircom increase speeds loads of people will have problems and will be worse off than before the increase.
    If thats the case then they should never of made the statement they did back in January. I presume people at Eircom would have been working and planning this upgrade for months before their announcement as any big plan should be, you just don't go out on a whim, make up a date and hope for the best, although that's what it's starting to look like. They said they could deliver and they failed their customers and resellers badly.
    Calebmcd wrote: »
    i think BT are getting alot of grief because of Eircom.
    They have been inandated with calls about the delay over the past week and losing customers because of it through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brian kay

LADS just found out from a friend over xbox live (his dad works For SCUMCOM(eircom) ) that it will be a long time till we get the upgrade Becouse they are putting down FIBER OPTICS first out of dublin and then the rest of ireland:mad: What a load of C?&k they are takin d fookin piss out of us.this is a good source his dad is high up at scumcom Fookin Pri<ks:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Indeed. We should all email their press office to show our discontent. If they were to get 30+ emails within a few days, that might be enough to piss them off. Show them that they cannot get away with this, and that we are wise to their malpractice.
    And watch Eircom's Press officer just redirect them all to the Recycle Bin.

Honestly, it will just go in one ear and out the other with them.

Im happily sticking with my 3Mbit connection for now, mostly because I dont have much choice. The one requirement that I have from a broadband provider, is being able to bill me under my own account. That severely limits the options that I have.

If I was to use Eircom, the parents would end up being billed for it, and they dont want that. So for DSL, I have to use a Reseller.

If I was to use UPC, again, the parents would be paying for it, because the cable bill is in their name.. and UPC are currently fracking us around with billing.. so chances are we will be ditching them for Sky.

Neither Magnet nor Smart, can provide me a seperate account (from the telephone service) for broadband, so to move to them involves moving the landline, and the parents paying the bill.

If FTTH was an option where I lived, I would seriously consider it.

But I am content, for now, to wait.

brian kay wrote: »
    LADS just found out from a friend over xbox live (his dad works For SCUMCOM(eircom) ) that it will be a long time till we get the upgrade Becouse they are putting down FIBER OPTICS first out of dublin and then the rest of ireland:mad: What a load of C?&k they are takin d fookin piss out of us.this is a good source his dad is high up at scumcom Fookin Pri<ks:(:(:(:(
    Looks like the replies I got from the Press Office may turn out to be another pack of lies :mad:

Reply 1
    The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the last number of months and will continue throughout the next coming months. We have extended the list of exchanges that will be upgraded which has naturally had an impact on our date for completion of all upgrades.

Kind regards

Press officer

Reply 2
    The speed upgrades have been taking place across the country on a phased basis over the last number of months and will continue throughout and be completed in the next six to eight weeks. We have extended the list of exchanges that will be upgraded which has naturally had an impact on our date for completion of all upgrades.

Kind regards

Press officer

So is it months or weeks, 2010 I think :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Looks like the replies I got from the Press Office may turn out to be another pack of lies :mad:

Reply 1

Reply 2

So is it months or weeks, 2010 I think :rolleyes:.
    The first reply is just more vague. In the "coming months" could be defined as within the scope of 6-8 weeks. It depends. That's all we have to go on right now, so let's go with that. If it's another lie, we can deal with it when the time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorry but the words fibre optics, and eircom do not belong in the same paragraph.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I emailed the press office and they said 6 to 8 weeks also, they asked if I wanted to ask about a specific exchange so I have emailed them back asking about my exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

30+ lol how about 300 an hour?

Villain wrote: »
    I have emailed them back asking about my exchange.
    Done the same myself, haven't got a reply yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I sent them an angry email asking how they can justify not telling their customers their promised speed upgrades have been delayed by months. Still no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rc28 wrote: »
    I sent them an angry email <snip> Still no reply.
    Quelle surprise :rolleyes:

Alun wrote: »
    Quelle surprise :rolleyes:
    Angry was the wrong word- it was more just making a complaint and asking a reasonable question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    They have been inandated with calls about the delay over the past week and losing customers because of it through no fault of their own.

Would it be wrong to suggest that eircoms plan is going according to plan then?
    ;)

Kahless wrote: »
    Would it be wrong to suggest that eircoms plan is going according to plan then?
    ;)
    Assholes. I'd love it if they would for once admit that they ****ed up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Assholes. I'd love it if they would for once admit that they ****ed up.

They have admitted they've delayed things but in a PR sort of way,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

a little birdy told me the upgrades are happenning at the end of this month and the 3mb will be upgraded to 12mb :eek:

a little birdy told me the upgrades are happenning at the end of this month and the 3mb will be upgraded to 12mb :eek:
    Your birdy is on drugs. 3 goes to 7.6, as Eircom PR have stated in the last few days, to many of us who emailed them.

Eircom to actually admit they're wrong by saying "we messed up" would be sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

maybe this is all part of a secret master plan...

Eircom has delayed the rollout in order to up the speeds even further to somewhat compete with UPC / Smart.

I'm stuck with them (BT actually) as I can't get smart/upc/digiweb... and I'm in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Your birdy is on drugs. 3 goes to 7.6, as Eircom PR have stated in the last few days, to many of us who emailed them.

Eircom to actually admit they're wrong by saying "we messed up" would be sweet.

you think what you like about my birdy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vico1612

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but I want to get 3mb bb with BT which should be going to 7.6mb by the end of the summer. I'm currently on a 2mb package with Eircom and I always get the full speeds. However, I'm not sure if my line is up to it. My attenuation has risen from 46 to 51 over the last few months but my noise margin is good at 25. From the following link it says I can get over 7mb when I fill in my details;
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx
    But when I go to Irish broadband's website and put in my number it only offers me the 2mb package (but it says my neighbours can get the 3mb??)
    If I ring BT would they be able to tell me whether it's suitable for 3mb or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Vico1612 wrote: »
    He added that while upgrading to 3Mbps and 7.5Mbps can be done as an automatic IT upgrade, this cannot proceed until all 12Mbps manual upgrades have occurred.
    Lol Wut? :rolleyes:

And still i see no changes...
    “The reason why we held off communicating this to customers is there’s no point starting to sell new products until everybody is upgraded,” the spokesman said.

This quote:
    However, he explained that moving to 12Mbps can only be done as a manual process and this is proving to be time-consuming.

He added that while upgrading to 3Mbps and 7.5Mbps can be done as an automatic IT upgrade, this cannot proceed until all 12Mbps manual upgrades have occurred.

... makes me believe that the 3 and 7.6Mb/s upgrades will be regular ADSL while the 10 and 12Mb/s upgrades will be ADSL2+ (entirely speculation but would explain the "manual upgrades"). If so then it's Eircom favouring business customers again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Customers can accept mistakes and delays, but it's very unprofessional only letting people know on the 4th July.

I have 3 customers on high end Eircom DSL business packages, and if Eircom once again miss their date, I'll do whatever I can to move my customers away from Eircom as quickly as possible. That'll be a few K a year gone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Karsini wrote: »
    This quote:... makes me believe that the 3 and 7.6Mb/s upgrades will be regular ADSL while the 10 and 12Mb/s upgrades will be ADSL2+ (entirely speculation but would explain the "manual upgrades").

/me believes exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason Karsini :) The upgrade is the installation of ADSL2+ line cards where required , firmware flashes most like and rejumpering of biz connections to the new cards .
    Karsini wrote: »
    If so then it's Eircom favouring business customers again. :rolleyes:

Yeah but they charge €200 inc vat for the business pipes and €30 inc vat for the residential 2mbit pipes . I mean come on, they would wouldn't they :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Eircom have f**ked up badly withe delay of increased broaband speeds while UPC & BT have introduced new speeds. I hear Smart are looking into ESB network and they will be able to offer fast speeds like UPC using fibre. What i can't understand is why eircom dont follow and do the same, surley they have more money then Smart?

Eircoms problem is basically they can only provide ADSL1 to a certain amount of customers and other are on limitations where you need to be with 5KM to receive the service. The other provide BT is using LLU which works on ADSL2+ allowing them to offer the faster speeds, im sure if they wanted they double the current 8MB. This is where eircom are truly messed up and will start to fall behind everyone now unless they pump the millions required to build a network using fibre, but even that will take years, so they would want to start soon enough. They currently resell the service to smaller providers but they will look to others offering the fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

**** eircom pack of retarded inbreds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

In fairness to Eircom, they had said they hoped to have them all done by the end of June. July 4th isn't exactly years after the end of June. Give them a break like. At least they publicly admitted things were going slow, these things happen.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

flamegrill wrote: »
    In fairness to Eircom, they had said they hoped to have them all done by the end of June. July 4th isn't exactly years after the end of June. Give them a break like. At least they publicly admitted things were going slow, these things happen.

Paul

ur talking like the entire country was upgraded on july 4th,in case u hadnt noticed the upgrades wont be here till at least august or maybe even later if they fucck us again,whats july 4th got to do with anything??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

The one great thing out of all of this is that UPC have laid down a marker for the home user in this country (well those that can get UPC). Eircom and the rest of the competition will have to match or beat 20Megs for €40 a month to pull in new customers. I doubt Eircom can match it so they are going to have to offer some savage deals on the 7.6, 10 and 12mb services to keep punters from going elsewhere.

I laugh everytime I hear Eircom's radio ad comparing 2mb to the fastest man on Earth...nicely timed upgrade by UPC:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement