Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

flamegrill wrote: »
    In fairness to Eircom, they had said they hoped to have them all done by the end of June. July 4th isn't exactly years after the end of June. Give them a break like. At least they publicly admitted things were going slow, these things happen.

Paul

Going slow!

They are 2 months late already on the 4mb business lines, my friend had a job in the call centre in Limerick last summer and he was talking to his mate who is working there and they have been told that no date has been set on the uprades.6 to 8 weeks is just a guideline for parts of the cities, it might be months before they get all the small exchanges up, some might not even get the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Going slow!

They are 2 months late already on the 4mb business lines, my friend had a job in the call centre in Limerick last summer and he was talking to his mate who is working there and they have been told that no date has been set on the uprades.6 to 8 weeks is just a guideline for parts of the cities, it might be months before they get all the small exchanges up, some might not even get the upgrade.
    If you email the press office naming your exchange, they will send you back information pertaining to that exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 benson99

ntls offer is amazing jeez.

20 mb for 40 quid a month, cant get it tho unfortunately, dont anyone no a sitemap for NTLS cable service?

boohoo eircom !!!!!!!! shake the hell up or your gona stood on

DECEiFER wrote: »
    If you email the press office naming your exchange, they will send you back information pertaining to that exchange.

Its proabably on a guess/ they are not going to tell me the exchange in Rathkeale is months off ( which it is )

If you dont mind me asking, what did they tell you?

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Nice.

If you dont me asking, what did they tell you?
    6-8 weeks for the Tralee exchange. I had the email posted some pages back.

Anyhow, Tralee is a majorish town, so that would get done amongst the first lot, I'd say.

I pass close to Rathkeale twice a week when I drive from Shannon to Tralee and vice versa. But I don't know if it's a small or big town, as the N21 bypasses it. Is it even a town, or a village?

• Advertisement

6-8 weeks for the Tralee exchange. I had the email posted some pages back.

Anyhow, Tralee is a majorish town, so that would get done amongst the first lot, I'd say.

Thats what my friend was telling me, Cities and large towns will get the upgrade within 3 months, but towns with populations under 6k are looking at months.

Towns like Rathkeale, Castleisland etc are going to be waiting a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

They say the same thing to everyone who emails them- I was told 6-8 weeks for my exchange which is really only a large village. A number of others who emailed them were told the same thing. They are obviously just reading from a script.

rc28 wrote: »
    They say the same thing to everyone who emails them- I was told 6-8 weeks for my exchange which is really only a large village. A number of others who emailed them were told the same thing. They are obviously just reading from a script.
    Possibly, but still, it's worth getting it in writing. If the information they supplied ends up being inaccurate, then at least you have the proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 benson99

the proof for what?
    that they lied?
    They`ve been doing it for years

benson99 wrote: »
    the proof for what?
    that they lied?
    They`ve been doing it for years
    Sure, but having it in writing will held add to their strikes in the past and whatever strikes they make in the future. It can only go on for so long. No company is invincible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

At a guess, if you email asking about an exchange that isn't even enabled and phrase your questions as if it is, you'll still get the 6-8 weeks answer.

I pass close to Rathkeale twice a week when I drive from Shannon to Tralee and vice versa. But I don't know if it's a small or big town, as the N21 bypasses it. Is it even a town, or a village?

Small town, would be same size as Abbeyfeale, Kilkee etc

Its the towns like this that are the ones most affected by the upgrades imo, large towns and cities should get the upgrades, but most of them dont have to wait as they can just join smart or ntl.

Tralee has those providers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The delay is ADSL2+. The smaller exchanges won't be getting that. All exchanges are delayed until the 2+ is up and running in the larger exchanges.

After that the 7.6 is automatic on all exchanges so all entitled will get it. Whether it works out for you on an individual basis is another question.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The delay is ADSL2+. The smaller exchanges won't be getting that. All exchanges are delayed until the 2+ is up and running in the larger exchanges.

After that the 7.6 is automatic on all exchanges so all entitled will get it. Whether it works out for you on an individual basis is another question.

Dont know a huge deal about 2+, but why would they need all the 2+ exchanges up and running before turning on the so called automatic 7.6mb speeds?

Its sounds like an excuse in an excuse to me, as they know the guys on the automatic upgrades have no other choice but to use eircom/resellers and the guys who can switch are now being sweetened with the thought of Adsl2+.

Its very clever/convenient I must say.

They did have a few weeks to come up with that brillant excuse though

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

ADSL 1 doesn't guarantee 7.6mb as easily as ADSL 2 would.

Slightly off topic but I want to get 3mb bb with BT which should be going to 7.6mb by the end of the summer. I'm currently on a 2mb package with Eircom and I always get the full speeds. However, I'm not sure if my line is up to it. My attenuation has risen from 46 to 51 over the last few months but my noise margin is good at 25. From the following link it says I can get over 7mb when I fill in my details;
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx
    But when I go to Irish broadband's website and put in my number it only offers me the 2mb package (but it says my neighbours can get the 3mb??)
    If I ring BT would they be able to tell me whether it's suitable for 3mb or not?
    Anyone here on a 3mb package able to tell me if my line would be able to get it?

Anyone here on a 3mb package able to tell me if my line would be able to get it?

It's the attenuation is letting you down but there's something odd about your stats. With a high enough noise margin like yours it would indicate a reasonably health and short line but your attenuation says different.

It looks like you may have something locally (in your house probably) thats causing but it may be just the way your line is. Follow the troubleshooting steps from the FAQ and see if you can track down the problem.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

EDIT: I also have a feeling that for many the 7.6 upgrade will fall on it's arse without 2+.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

EDIT: I also have a feeling that for many the 7.6 upgrade will fall on it's arse without 2+.

I know it will in rural areas with lots of 1mbit connections on long and/or marginal lines. The sheer noise from the ADSL1 7.6mbits will kill lots of them

I have strongly advised my neighbours who live over 2 miles beyond me on the same cable run and have 1mbit packages to periodically check and save their line stats so that they can collectively kick up holy stink when they lose their service or have it degraded to the extent that it is unusable.

I am only a little under a mile from the exchange with 3mbits. If they put me and the other 2-3mbit customers clustered near me and between me and the exchange on ADSL2+ it will improve matters.

If they put us all on ADSL2+ it will improve matters even further as would putting the long reach 1mbit customers on ADSL2+ while leaving the 2mbit customers and 3mbit customers nearer the exchange on ADSL1.

Many would need modem swaps though. It is to be noted that MOST people over 3 miles have recent modems which are ADSL2+ capable while those with older modems tend to be nearer the exchanges. About 200,000 customers have ADSL1 modems while 500,000 have ADSL2+ modems of the 700,000 on eircom connections or bitstream .

Either way they have bitten off far too much expecting to get away with only provisioning ADSL1 on many exchanges, I think they know this already but as they have no money they are is a rather tight spot.

Protect yourself, get those line stats and be prepared to take no sh1t from eircom when you lose your service in the next 6 months .

It's the attenuation is letting you down but there's something odd about your stats. With a high enough noise margin like yours it would indicate a reasonably health and short line but your attenuation says different.

It looks like you may have something locally (in your house probably) thats causing but it may be just the way your line is. Follow the troubleshooting steps from the FAQ and see if you can track down the problem.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

Thanks. I have tried doing everything mentioned in that thread you linked to but nothing changes the attenuation and noise figures- I even tried a different router. I think the eircom pole outside my house is what's to blame- it's a mess of wires from a large grey box at the top but all the lines between it and the exchange are underground (they snipped the overhead wires last year for some reason). I find it strange that people I know who are 2 miles further away from the main exchange than me can get 3mb according to this. There must be a sub-exchange somewhere in between us?

Is there any way I can get Eircom to have a look at this? I can't really report a fault as there is nothing technically wrong with my phone or bb. Also do you think BT would be able to tell me over the phone if I can get the higher package or will I just find out once I have it and stuck in a 12 month contract?

Also, with another tool I found it says my line should support up to 5.4mbps;
    http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed.phpDo telecoms only take into account attenuation when deciding what speed your line can take though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

What is Westport viewed as?

With Google being envolved in the town and others would it get adsl2+?

Seen as we only have 1 exchange.

292513768.png

292514162.png

Speeds are steady again hopefully it stays that way

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Westport is rich , lots of ADSL , lots of interference potential :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Thats me buggered I'd say for an upgrade then. Currently on 2Mbit eircom DSL bundle off a small exchange which 3 Km away. Current stats are attenutaion 39 db down and 22 up which is not to bad but the SNR is 12 db down. On occasion SNR drops to 6 db but the connection never drops. With that SNR my line may not be able to handle 3Mbit on ADSL1. To be honest I'm lucky to get DSL at all as there's plenty around here who can't get Bband at all - we're in pargain country here!

Kitz web site http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm re low SNR is interesting. I must check it out to see if there's any pattern to it when it occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

what about bennettsbridge exchange in kilkenny?

its just outside my house so i`ll be able to recieve the full speed? my stats are excellent:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eamonnm

Bennettsbridge exchange is a good one! I know i have had bb here since the exchange was enabled! Line is good but there are problems qith its capacity as the village has outgrown the exchange and there are not enough individual physical lines! though have been informed un officially that there will be major work up the gowran rd to alleviate the problem with carrier lines!

Never ever had a problem apart from eircom not connecting the wires right in the exchange!!!!

nice
    ye its pretty good , good pings and top download speeds always cant complain

I guess we`ll never get to see NTL out there tho? Or smart

eamonnm wrote: »
    Never ever had a problem apart from eircom not connecting the wires right in the exchange!!!!

hahaah
    i had the EXACT same problem, i was on 1 mb for 1 year before finally they figured out my line was plugged into the wrong port at the exchange,

what speed are ya on yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Can anyone point me to a list of exchanges. I'm living in Ballivor, Co Meath and would like to check how far away I am from my local (?????) exchange.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Macker1 wrote: »
    Can anyone point me to a list of exchanges. I'm living in Ballivor, Co Meath and would like to check how far away I am from my local (?????) exchange.

Thanks

Goto http://www.smarttelecom.ie/ and stick in your phone no on their line checker.
    It will come back with your exchange. A list of the exchanges DSL enabled is available on the eircom website - look in the broadband section. When my own exchange as DSLed last December the Eircom web site was updated to include it on the same day so it would seem that they keep it up to date.

Zug

zugvogel wrote: »
    Goto http://www.smarttelecom.ie/ and stick in your phone no on their line checker.
    It will come back with your exchange. A list of the exchanges DSL enabled is available on the eircom website - look in the broadband section. When my own exchange as DSLed last December the Eircom web site was updated to include it on the same day so it would seem that they keep it up to date.

Zug

Ballivor has DSL already.

Macker, here's the co-ords of the exchange. Bang them into Google Earth.
    53.5323007 -6.9674996

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 eamonnm

Hey Nuxx are you serious I had exactly same problem had eircom around who told me any problem must be in my internal wiring so i cut all the wires and connexted direct to router still no joy ,had a nice indian man telling me everything was fine at their end but still sent me out a second router in case that was the problem.

In the end i bumped into an eircom engineer next to the exchange started talking to him told him my tale of woe and next morning he buzzed me told me broadband would be gone for a min and then called me back to say some daft B had plugged into wrong ports as well!!!!!

Im on 2 meg at min working fine for me especially as I work from home thru VPN and never a problem with it! (now) there was never a problem with reliability just with speed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement