Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Stringfellow

"had the EXACT same problem, i was on 1 mb for 1 year before finally they figured out my line was plugged into the wrong port at the exchange"

Are you sure on this nuxx, my understanding is the ports in the exchange are all the same and the speed is limited in house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Eircom are using this opportunity to get rid of all those nasty torrent users who clog up their network. They're sitting by while the 10% of people who use 90% of the network move over to upc and jam up their network. Right into the arms of throttling upc they go!

Wouldn't touch upc with a bargepole tbh. Reckon they're likely to introduce that net neutrality bs just like virgin in the uk.

Not that I use eircon. What you need is a nice small isp so you can bypass all that bs like RIAA (edit:meant irma) letters etc.

Gwan the lemmings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can believe there's mistakes with ports, as the speed is set individually with each one I think. If there's more than one port to connect, with different speeds or the order is misread, it could happen.

Though I'd love to know where all the 1 Meg people are, who were plugged into the wrong port:pac: Probably keeping their mouth shut if they've any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

well i aint lieing , thats what they told me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Eircom is delaying all the upgrades as the 6Mb to 12Mb upgrade has to be done manually

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/10965/comms/eircom-confirms-delay-in-broadband-upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Eircom is delaying all the upgrades as the 6Mb to 12Mb upgrade has to be done manually

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/10965/comms/eircom-confirms-delay-in-broadband-upgrade

Looks like Siliconrepublic had a slow news day today so just went ahead and changed the date on an article from a few days ago to todays date.
    That same article has already been posted in this thread last week 3 pages or so back.
    Vico1612 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

true that ;P

COMMON EIRCONZ GIMMEZ UR BANDWIDTHZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Ballivor has DSL already.

Macker, here's the co-ords of the exchange. Bang them into Google Earth.
    53.5323007 -6.9674996

Thanks, I know that Ballivor has DSL as I'm currently using it I just didn't know where the actual exchange was situated in relation to my house. It turns out not to far at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

eircom_broadband.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

Hello.

I'm on the Nutley exchange which (according to the eircom Press Office) is ADSL2+ enabled.

Does BT's 8Mbit (3Mbit upgrade) use ADSL2+?

I'd like my upgrade in July, not in 6-8 weeks time.

• Advertisement

I'm on the Nutley exchange which (according to the eircom Press Office) is ADSL2+ enabled.
    Most urban exchanges would be, especially in Dublin.
    Does BT's 8Mbit (3Mbit upgrade) use ADSL2+?
    At the moment your exchange doesn't seem to be part of BT's LLU 8Mb upgrade. Therefore, you'll be getting 7.6Mb if you're currently subscribed to 3Mb. It will utilize regular ADSL, not ADSL2+, which is reserved for business customers who are on the 10Mb (formally 4Mb) or 12Mb (formally 6Mb) packages. This has been confirmed by Eircom's Press Office. Changing to BT would be of benefit if you move your phone line and calls over to them also. It's a money saver. It's only €56 per month for 3Mb broadband and line rental with BT Broandband and Talk. Compare that with Eircom's €48.40 for 3Mb broadband and an additional €25.36 for line rental.

Note: All of Eircom's ADSL re-seller ISP's will be affected by Eircom's upgrade also. It doesn't matter who you pay, whether it be BT, UTV, Imagine, or even Digiweb, you'll still receive the speed upgrade at the same time as direct Eircom customers would, that are connected to your exchange.
    I'd like my upgrade in July, not in 6-8 weeks time.
    Join the club.

DECEiFER wrote: »

Note: All ADSL ISP's in Ireland will be affected Eircom's upgrade. It doesn't matter who you pay, whether it be BT, UTV, Imagine, or even Digiweb, you'll still receive the speed upgrade at the same time as direct Eircom customers would, that are connected to your exchange.
    That is unless you have an unbundled line from Smart, Magnet or BT.

That is unless you have an unbundled line from Smart, Magnet or BT.
    BT aren't unbundled in his area, yet. However, the other two are ADSL2+ operators, as BT might also be in their LLU exchanges too. I was only referring to the regular bitstream ADSL re-sellers.

BT aren't unbundled in his area, yet. However, the other two are ADSL2+ operators, and may be BT in their LLU exchanges. I was only referring to the regular bitstream ADSL re-sellers.
    Well then make that clear, more people read posts than the person you are addressing and if you aren't clear in this case you will give someone the wrong information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Well then make that clear, more people read posts than the person you are addressing and if you aren't clear in this case you will give someone the wrong information.

:rolleyes:

Hmmm....
    Note: All ADSL ISP's in Ireland will be affected by Eircom's upgrade. It doesn't matter who you pay, whether it be BT, UTV, Imagine, or even Digiweb, you'll still receive the speed upgrade at the same time as direct Eircom customers would, that are connected to your exchange.
    I could've sworn that I did. Note the lack of ADSL2+ being mentioned in that segment of my post. :)

EDIT: Just to be safe, I made a minor change to that segment. I doubt anybody can complain about confusion over it anymore. ;)
    Note: All of Eircom's ADSL re-seller ISP's will be affected by Eircom's upgrade also. It doesn't matter who you pay, whether it be BT, UTV, Imagine, or even Digiweb, you'll still receive the speed upgrade at the same time as direct Eircom customers would, that are connected to your exchange.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Most urban exchanges would be, especially in Dublin.

At the moment your exchange doesn't seem to be part of BT's LLU 8Mb upgrade. Therefore, you'll be getting 7.6Mb if you're currently subscribed to 3Mb. It will utilize regular ADSL, not ADSL2+, which is reserved for business customers who are on the 10Mb (formally 4Mb) or 12Mb (formally 6Mb) packages. This has been confirmed by Eircom's Press Office. Changing to BT would be of benefit if you move your phone line and calls over to them also. It's a money saver. It's only €56 per month for 3Mb broadband and line rental with BT Broandband and Talk. Compare that with Eircom's €48.40 for 3Mb broadband and an additional €25.36 for line rental.

Join the club.

No body should recommend BT without attaching a warning about their appalling billing record. For peace of mind do a search on here before you make up your mind.

dub45 wrote: »
    No body should recommend BT without attaching a warning about their appalling billing record. For peace of mind do a search on here before you make up your mind.

I agree, they left my dial-up account active for 8 months after I cancelled, despite several phone calls telling them that.

Karsini wrote: »
    I agree, they left my dial-up account active for 8 months after I cancelled, despite several phone calls telling them that.
    When dealing with BT, be sure to confirm all instructions given to their agents. Their call logging is either appalling or non-existent. If necessary, ring a second time, speak to another agent, when making important changes to your account (including cancelling).

However, that said, they never messed up my bill. I was with them from February 2006 until March 2008. I never had any complaints about my speed or billing. I did regular speed tests, and always got the proper results as per my package with them. I also took time to examine each bill, as I had previously heard some horror stories, but they were on the money with each one.

Just yesterday I was talking to a girl in work about bb and she was telling me that because of her husband's business they had switched from IBB to BT. And without any input from me at all she began to tell me how difficult it had been to get them to send out a bill:rolleyes: Sound familiar to regular readers?:mad:

Luckily they had not opted for the dreaded dd.

• Advertisement

Just yesterday I was talking to a girl in work about bb and she was telling me that because of her husband's business they had switched from IBB to BT. And without any input from me at all she began to tell me how difficult it had been to get them to send out a bill:rolleyes: Sound familiar to regular readers?:mad:

Luckily they had not opted for the dreaded dd.
    I opted for a paperless bill and direct debit. I know, a risk, considering what some people had told me prior to signing up. But it worked out for me. Just remember to confirm things when you're speaking with their agents. Don't be so quick to assume they've done it right. But all in all, I saved a trunk of money and I think it was worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I've been with BT for years. I had a connection problem once and they sent out a new modem the next day with a follow up call the following day to make sure it had arrived. I'm not suggesting that people haven't had awful problems with them. Just not everybody.

And lots of people work for eircom. Lots more have friends or relatives who do or own shares in the wretched company. Just saying!

kaizersoze wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    I'm sorry, do you have something against making things clear?
    You can't make sweeping statements like ALL ADSL ISP'S because ADSL can refer to other ADSL based technologies than just ADSL1. The fact of the matter is its really not difficult to make things clear.

I've been with BT for years. I had a connection problem once and they sent out a new modem the next day with a follow up call the following day to make sure it had arrived. I'm not suggesting that people haven't had awful problems with them. Just not everybody.

And lots of people work for eircom. Lots more have friends or relatives who do or own shares in the wretched company. Just saying!

To point out BT's demonstrable lamentable billing record and treatment of people over a long number of years should be obligatory on here when a recommendation is being made. No other isp has treated people so consistently badly over such a long period.

That has nothing go to do with fact that a large number of people work in Eircom. Not to mention the stunning insight that such employees may actually have friends or relatives! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To point out BT's demonstrable lamentable billing record and treatment of people over a long number of years should be obligatory on here when a recommendation is being made. No other isp has treated people so consistently badly over such a long period.

Thing is not everyone has these issues, so if you want to point out the faults of BT when suggesting it to someone how about making a list of faults customers of other ISP's have experienced when suggesting other ISP's :pac:

Just to be fair and all,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thing is not everyone has these issues, so if you want to point out the faults of BT when suggesting it to someone how about making a list of faults customers of other ISP's have experienced when suggesting other ISP's :pac:

Just to be fair and all,
    I agree, it is quite obvious when certain people have something against a particular company. IMO every single ISP has its own significant flaw eg eircom is ridiculously expensive, BT appear to have had a billing issue, ICE have terrible customer service etc. It is unfair to tell people to flat out avoid a certain company because of the experiences of a tiny minority of boards users- just scan through this broadband forum over the last few weeks where there are complaints about practically every ISP in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Stringfellow

Hi Folks,

Just an update on the upgrade from 3MB to 7.6MB. As this is not an upgrade to ADSL2+, it will be a software change only. Existing customers will remain on the same equipment in the exchange. This will also apply to customers being upgraded from 2MB to 3MB. There is currently ongoing discussions between Product/Marketing on how customers affected will be advised of the upgrade. The upgrade project will be scheduled over different weekends between August/Sept with some customers not being upgraded until the end of the year.

Again the above is only hearsay, this will not be definite until the issues between Product/Marketing are resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

That has nothing go to do with fact that a large number of people work in Eircom. Not to mention the stunning insight that such employees may actually have friends or relatives! :rolleyes:

They seem to have lots of friends lol
    And those buddys seem to post here quite a bit. Don't we all enjoy those 'don't leave Eircom or you will die and go to Hell' type posts?

Cabaal wrote: »

Just to be fair and all,

Unfortunately BT have not been fair to their customers over a long period and have put people through misery with the involvement of debt collectors.

In my view putting people through financial misery is far worse than service problems and I have no time for that type of behaviour whatsoever.

Whatever Eircom's prices may be they are clearly visible to all and sundry before they sign up. BT's problems are not and that is why I do not apologise for consistenly pointing out their apalling behaviour. I consider it irresponsible not to.

• Advertisement

They seem to have lots of friends lol
    And those buddys seem to post here quite a bit. Don't we all enjoy those 'don't leave Eircom or you will die and go to Hell' type posts?

I have pointed out here before and I dont apologise for pointing it out again that Eircom are, apart from Smart, arguably the best isp.

In general they dont have billing issues - there are very few threads on here about Eircom billing for example.

Anyone I know who has had them over the past few years has had a rock steady product with few if any disruptions.

They do not have download limits in practise. They dont throttle torrents.

If their name wasnt Eircom everyone on here would be recommending them.

For the record I have one friend in Eircom - no relatives - the friend hates his job etc etc.

No one is forced to joine Eircom - if Eircom is available to you then you have alternatives.

You pays your money and you make your choice its as simple as that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement