Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

dub45 wrote: »
    Whatever Eircom's prices may be they are clearly visible to all and sundry before they sign up. BT's problems are not and that is why I do not apologise for consistenly pointing out their apalling behaviour. I consider it irresponsible not to.
    You were bang on to make the issues clear, so that people can make a well informed decision. But that's all it should be, information, so a decision can be made. Therefore, in conclusion, BT has its Pros and Cons. In my opinion, those Pros outweigh the Cons, especially when the Cons are out in the open, so that anyone going with BT can shield themselves against them.

Just my 2 cents.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DECEiFER wrote: »
    You were bang on to make the issues clear, so that people can make a well informed decision. But that's all it should be, information, so a decision can be made. Therefore, in conclusion, BT has its Pros and Cons. In my opinion, those Pros outweigh the Cons, especially when the Cons are out in the open, so that anyone going with BT can shield themselves against them.
    Just my 2 cents.

Sadly BT's ''cons'' (was that a freudian slip?:)) for many people are not out in the open as their ads naturally do not carry the warning that ''we have a lousy billing system'' and people are increasing forced to use the dd system (BT are not aloine in this of course) thereby subjecting themselves to the mercy of BT.

Sadly BT's ''cons'' (was that a freudian slip?:)) for many people are not out in the open as their ads do not carry the warning that ''we have a lousy billing system'' and people are increasing forced to use the dd system thereby subjecting themselves to the mercy of BT.
    We're not talking about most people, or making any sort of political stand. We're informing the people on this forum that there could be some issues with BT, but these issues can be avoided if you know about them prior to signing up with them. For me, from February 2006 to March 2008, I had a positive experience using BT. I know plenty of people who use BT, who have been for a long period of time, and have never had any issues with them. That counts for something.

We're not talking about most people, or making any sort of political stand. We're informing the people on this forum that there could be some issues with BT, but these issues can be avoided if you know about them prior to signing up with them. For me, from February 2006 to March 2008, I had a positive experience using BT. I know plenty of people who use BT, who have been for a long period of time, and have never had any issues with them. That counts for something.

How?

How?
    Billing. That's the main issue. Avoiding it can be quite easy, as it's not the figures that the issue revolves around, it's the fact that they don't take the direct debit and a year on, they tell you that you owe them €1,400 or so. So, check the figures every month, to be safe. Check your bank account to make sure they are taking the said figure every month, and then, you should be plain sailing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rc28 wrote: »
    I agree, it is quite obvious when certain people have something against a particular company. IMO every single ISP has its own significant flaw eg eircom is ridiculously expensive, BT appear to have had a billing issue, ICE have terrible customer service etc. It is unfair to tell people to flat out avoid a certain company because of the experiences of a tiny minority of boards users- just scan through this broadband forum over the last few weeks where there are complaints about practically every ISP in the country.

No ISP is without its faults, people have had service problems and billing issues with UPC, provisioning issues with Smart, billing with BT, DNS and service issues with UTV etc

However every persons experience is different and you'll notice the amount of threads on any specific issue go up and down over months and years, however as dub45 as noted you'd hardly see many threads on Eircom however that sadly doesn't make them the best because as you've rightly noted their very expensive.

The problem is with Eircom is sometimes people just don't know any better and some people even think they have to change their line rental provider or phone number to use a DSL service from BT or another bit-stream reseller.

In relation to BT's services, over the years I had BT Business Broadband which was fantastic...expensive but fantastic but none the less I did have two complaints I had to raise with them and both were resolved the way I wanted them.

In saying that I'd still go for their business packages again,

Oh and just for the record I don't work for any of the companys listed or discussed on this forum, :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    No ISP is without its faults, people have had service problems and billing issues with UPC, provisioning issues with Smart, billing with BT, DNS and service issues with UTV etc

However every persons experience is different and you'll notice the amount of threads on any specific issue go up and down over months and years, however as dub45 as noted you'd hardly see many threads on Eircom however that sadly doesn't make them the best because as you've rightly noted their very expensive.

The problem is with Eircom is sometimes people just don't know any better and some people even think they have to change their line rental provider or phone number to use a DSL service from BT or another bit-stream reseller.

In relation to BT's services, over the years I had BT Business Broadband which was fantastic...expensive but fantastic but none the less I did have two complaints I had to raise with them and both were resolved the way I wanted them.

As I pointed out people have a choice whether to go with Eircom or not. To say that people dont know any better given the amount of information and advertising around broadband is simply nonsense.

Every company has its problems of course and companies make mistakes but the same problems have been reported with BT for years and they are still being reported that is unforgivable. There is something structurally wrong with their bill system. How can it be with any proper billing system that so many people have to persistently ask for a bill? How is it so hard to cancel an account etc etc?

Oh and just for the record I don't work for any of the companys listed or discussed on this forum, :)
    Nor do I. And I must agree with you 100% on this. Issues can be avoided, if you keep on top of everything.

That's sad, I know. It shouldn't have to be that way, but no matter what ISP you choose in this country, there's always going to be potential issues.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As I pointed out people have a choice whether to go with Eircom or not. To say that people dont know any better given the amount of information and advertising around broadband is simply nonsense.

I'm doubting this in 100% of cases, I've had many the discussion with people who thought they had to move everything to BT or Perlico just to get DSL, yes I agree there is plenty of advertisements but seem people still don't get this.

One good example is many people still think you need to change your number when moving to Smart or that smart is actually bankrupt! (after all the problems they had) and people seem actually surprised their still providing services or they remain doubtful about these services.

however I do see your point,

Every company has its problems of course and companies make mistakes but the same problems have been reported with BT for years and they are still being reported that is unforgivable. There is something structurally wrong with their bill system. How can it be with any proper billing system that so many people have to persistently ask for a bill? How is it so hard to cancel an account etc etc?
    Most companies have ongoing issues lasting years. UTV's DNS issues have been around since 2004, at least! That's to name one example.

We're not disagreeing with you on that BT have problems. Sure they do. But, they are not nearly the worst by far. And their prices are much better than Eircon's. I never once saw the justification in paying up on €70 a month for 3Mb broadband and line rental with them. And even when the speed increases to 7.6Mb, it will still be majorly expensive to pay €70, especially in this day and age.

• Advertisement

One good example is many people still think you need to change your number when moving to Smart or that smart is actually bankrupt! (after all the problems they had) and people seem actually surprised their still providing services or they remain doubtful about these services.
    That's Eircom's fault. They screwed Smart over, and now Smart's reputation is that of a child company that cannot manage its finances. People would probably be too afraid to sign up to them, in fear of them going out of business in the coming months. A myth, created by Eircom, to be sure.

Billing. That's the main issue. Avoiding it can be quite easy, as it's not the figures that the issue revolves around, it's the fact that they don't take the direct debit and a year on, they tell you that you owe them €1,400 or so. So, check the figures every month, to be safe. Check your bank account to make sure they are taking the said figure every month, and then, you should be plain sailing.

If only it were that easy there would not be so many threads about them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I was with eircom before and found there service to be flawless. However I moved to BT due to cost and have found them to be good. No billing issues (touches wood) and any minor problems I have had have been cleared up. I cant say a bad word against either. I would not however use any other broadband service in Ireland outside of these two. If I had issues I would go back to Eircom in a flash. I feel sorry for those who have to use Ice, IBB etc. I would try UPC/SMART/MAGNET if they were availabe to me however due to the higher speeds.

That's Eircom's fault. They screwed Smart over, and now Smart's reputation is that of a child company that cannot manage its finances. People would probably be too afraid to sign up to them, in fear of them going out of business in the coming months. A myth, created by Eircom, to be sure.

Well Eircom's and the Media, but I'd agree sadly the companys reputation is not as good as it could be which is an awful shame.

As for UTV and its DNS issue, it was something I was aware of when I signed to UTV two weeks ago but all I did was change to opendns.com or an alternative DNS provider so its not a big deal :D

As for my recent experiences with UTV they've been good as outlined in my blog http://www.cabaal.org/log/labels/broadband.html (another update due tonight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Hi Folks,

Just an update on the upgrade from 3MB to 7.6MB. As this is not an upgrade to ADSL2+, it will be a software change only. Existing customers will remain on the same equipment in the exchange. This will also apply to customers being upgraded from 2MB to 3MB. There is currently ongoing discussions between Product/Marketing on how customers affected will be advised of the upgrade. The upgrade project will be scheduled over different weekends between August/Sept with some customers not being upgraded until the end of the year.

Again the above is only hearsay, this will not be definite until the issues between Product/Marketing are resolved.

Hearsay from where ?

Any chance the BT billing , UTV this , Smart that conversations could be in threads of their own . I suppose to be fair to the mods this thread has become a monster anyway maybe they are hoping that by leaving it alone all OT,ness will be drawn here like a magnet .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Hi Folks,

Just an update on the upgrade from 3MB to 7.6MB. As this is not an upgrade to ADSL2+, it will be a software change only. Existing customers will remain on the same equipment in the exchange. This will also apply to customers being upgraded from 2MB to 3MB. There is currently ongoing discussions between Product/Marketing on how customers affected will be advised of the upgrade. The upgrade project will be scheduled over different weekends between August/Sept with some customers not being upgraded until the end of the year.

Again the above is only hearsay, this will not be definite until the issues between Product/Marketing are resolved.

smell of **** off that.....dozy ****ing ***** coming on here pretendin they know whats goin on....how ****ing stupid do you think we are?

smell of **** off that.....dozy ****ing ***** coming on here pretendin they know whats goin on....how ****ing stupid do you think we are?
    Vicious! :eek:

BloodSugarSex, warning given for personal abuse, I get that people get pissed off over all these delays but there's no reason for personal abuse.

Keep things civil!

In fairness we know what Eircom's official line on the upto 8MB upgrade delays are its been outlined by their Press Dept and has been posted here on boards.ie and on http://www.eircomsucks.com

Cabaal,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

jonski wrote: »
    Any chance the BT billing , UTV this , Smart that conversations could be in threads of their own . I suppose to be fair to the mods this thread has become a monster anyway maybe they are hoping that by leaving it alone all OT,ness will be drawn here like a magnet .

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

@cabaal, i cant find anything on eircom;'s site about delays in rolling out new sppeds, can you post a link?

gb--

• Advertisement

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    @cabaal, i cant find anything on eircom;'s site about delays in rolling out new sppeds, can you post a link?

gb--

Right back on topic regarding Eircom speed upgrades :)

They don't have anything, however numerous people including myself have e-mailed their media department, an example of a response is on eircomsucks.com

My e-mail was replied with:
    Hi SNIP

The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the
    last number of months and will continue throughout the next 6 to 8
    weeks. We have extended the list of exchanges that will be upgraded
    which has naturally had an impact on our date for completion of all
    upgrades.

If your telephone line is connected to the SNIP exchange, then speed
    increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb
    broadband product will come into effect in this exchange in the next 6
    to 8 weeks. The speed upgrades for these specific products will apply to
    all telephone exchanges nationwide for customers whose telephone line
    qualifies for these speeds. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and
    the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

eircom is ADSL2+ enabling 117 exchanges nationwide of which SNIP is
    not one, however once the speed upgrades are completed, customers
    connected to the SNIP exchange availing of the 3Mb broadband product,
    and whose telephone line qualifies, will receive broadband speeds of up
    to 7.6Mb.

Best Regards

SNIP
    Press Officer

You can e-mail their press office yourself about your own exchange but your likely to get the standard response back that others have gotten, if your posting it I ask to remove ANY employee details from it and as with any coms remain civil with them :)press_office@eircom.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 suntreader

According to a list supplied by one of the Eircom Broadband resellers 97 of the 117 exchanges to be ADSL2+ have already been upgraded.

Does anyone have a list of all 117 exchanges to be upgraded to ADSL2+, I only have a list of those already upgraded?

suntreader wrote: »
    According to a list supplied by one of the Eircom Broadband resellers 97 of the 117 exchanges to be ADSL2+ have already been upgraded.

Does anyone have a list of all 117 exchanges to be upgraded to ADSL2+, I only have a list of those already upgraded?
    Are you a business customer? It won't matter unless you are, as Eircom's own ADSL2+ technology is only going to be utilized by the new 10Mb and 12Mb business packages. Residential broadband on speeds of 1Mb, 3Mb, and 7.6Mb, will be kept on regular ADSL technology. As I said before, this has been confirmed by Eircom's Press Office.

Yes, I am a business customer and really need the extra bandwidth.

Yes, I am a business customer and really need the extra bandwidth.
    These two packages may be of interest. Note that they are severely overpriced, compared with other forms of faster broadband (notably from UPC).

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/packages/plus (4Mb currently, but going to be upgraded to 10Mb utilizing ADSL2+)

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/packages/enhanced (6Mb currently, but going to be upgraded to 12Mb utilizing ADSL2+)

If you want to know if your exchange is receiving or has already received the ADSL2+ upgrade, email press_office@eircom.ie, and ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Could you post or PM the list you have?

Not sure if I'm allowed publish the list so I'm going to err on the conservative side.

Sorry about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

latest mail from the press office
    Hi <snip>

Thank you for getting in touch again.

eircom is ADSL2+ enabling 117 exchanges nationwide of which Dunshaughlin is not one, however once the speed upgrades are completed, customers connected to the Dunshaughlin exchange availing of the 3Mb broadband product, and whose telephone line qualifies, will receive broadband speeds of up to 7.6Mb.

Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in the Dunshaughlin exchange over the second weekend in August. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

Best Regards

<PRO>

Second weekend in August for the upgrades out here then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Not sure if I'm allowed publish the list so I'm going to err on the conservative side.

Sorry about that!

Where did you get it? Do you work for a reseller by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Stringfellow

Very stupid considering I'm on the inside and you're left out in the cold!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement